Software
Houzz Logo Print
bluetruck99

Favorite Garden Tool?

21 years ago

informal survey-

What is your favorite / most useful / most fun gardening tool?

favorite- corona pruning saw

most useful- maddock for digging in clay (we have a little bit of clay in east TN)

most fun- FLAMER! i have a weed flaming torch and it is insanely fun!

How about you? ~Ryan

Comments (20)

  • 21 years ago

    My shovel. It's one of those narrow ones that comes with a lifetime warranty with it. Well worth the $35 I paid for it. It's like my right arm when I'm out in the garden. I don't like wide shovels. I just purchased an unusual digging tool too from a catalog. I had a $20 off a $20 purchase coupon or I would never have paid this much for it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's supposed to be designed from an old japanese digging tool. Hand held, made pretty well, and very very sharp. Im kinda liking it too.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    My kid's shovel! There is a triangle handle that hits me about waiste high and I can really get on top of it to get some leverage. It is a real shovel, just kid size. Also their rake. It is small and I can get in between plants to rake out pine needles and leaves. I guess I just like little people tools, LOL!

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    I've got two faves, neither one terribly exciting. First: a narrow trowel. Trowel because it means I'm planting something, which is always good -- and narrow, so I can dig between all my amazingly closely-planted plants. And second: a shuffle hoe (also called scuffle hoe and other names). Ironically enough there isn't room to use one in my own yard -- but they're great at the UT gardens or other places with more room between plants. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    My favorite shovel is a Ames drain spade with an rounded end and a pitch fork to break up the soil and lift perennials. After breaking many a shovel and fork (I even have a shovel grave yard), I invested in good tools and guard them with my life! Also, could not do with out my corona pruners.

  • 21 years ago

    Think I just bought the same digging tool as Smokymist - mine is a Cobrahead. Useful for prying stones and rocks while planting. Also love my hand held maddock with a fork on one side and blade on other. Just heavy enough to get through my clay without killing my shoulder.

  • 21 years ago

    Hmmm...favorite garden tool would be tough. I really like the pitchfork--I forget what brand it is, but I have used the heck out of it turning the compost heap and digging out old roots. Very useful. I don't know if it counts, but I have a garden wagon that I love--it is heavy-duty plastic, and is very sturdy, lightweight, and rolls nicely. Not as tippy as your typical wheelbarrow--and it has a slightly larger capacity. And I couldn't live without my homemade compost screen.
    (can you tell I have compost on the mind? hahah!)
    :)

  • 21 years ago

    DH with industrial size post hole digger is favorite, most useful and most fun gardening tool. Next is DR motorized wheelbarrow, my strong, narrow trowel, sharpened small clippers and my farmers market style tomato basket in which I cart around a variety of small useful gardening items including a small mason jar with rubbing alcohol for cleaning aforementioned clippers, next is huge straw hat. The smile, I simply wear.

    Blue Truck Is your weed flaming torch propane? What happens when you torch a group of weeds? For instance, poison ivy, japanese honeysuckle and such?? Can you fry their roots, too? Thanks.

    Pat

  • 21 years ago

    Hey! Now that you mentioned the DR Powerwagon, that is real high on my list. Big but though - we have a hard time getting it started. Do you have that problem and how do you handle it? Thanks, Linda

  • 21 years ago

    Cheryl,
    Is your handheld tool a hori hori, i.e. japanese gardening knife? I got one of those and haven't found its usefulness yet. My favorite tools are my B&D sprayer and a good trowel.
    I'll have to check out these powerwagons everyone is talking about.
    Renee

  • 21 years ago

    I have one more tool I guard with my life. DH has Miluauke cordless power tools. He bought a saw attachment that I have totally taken over. It is PERFECT for pruning branches that are a bit too large for the lopers and it can even take down a small tree if needed.

  • 21 years ago

    Mel, you reminded me of another favorite tool of mine...DOUG! He fires up the tiller and cranks out a new bed in no time! He mulches, prunes, mows, weeds, builds walls, decks, garden sheds, plumming, carpentry, etc.

    Sorry gals, he's not for rent!

  • 21 years ago

    beebees The DR power wagon is a breeze to start, unlike the huge DR "devastator" that mows down saplings and heavy growth that I simply can't even begin to start. Ours is one of the older smaller models wagon/wheel barrow. It does have an electric start. Our hilly terrain became much less of an issue with the little power wagon/wheel barrow. Be glad to supply any pertinent data on models, etc, if you're interested.

  • 21 years ago

    Rebecca, I am telling Doug you have been taking about his tools in public!
    You are one lucky gal. I cringe when Paul walks through the garden in his steel toed shoes. I swear he steps on every plant he can when he takes a "stroll" through the garden. Between he and the dogs, cat and rabbit, it is a wonder I have any plants at all!!!

  • 21 years ago

    plsgro it is propane, it works on the principal theat plant cells are filled with water and under considerable pressure already (i think its like 200psi, lucas should know he accually passed that botany class [Dr. H. T. Andrews, you crazy old man]) but anyway, when you pass the torch over the leaves of the plant it literally boils the water in the plant cells, popping them and rendering them useless for food production. i dont know about flaming poison ivy though because that can get in yuor eyes and lungs. but any small weed can be flamed rather efficiently and no chemical residue.

  • 21 years ago

    bluetruck99 Excellent point about the poison ivy inhalation. Really going to look into finding a propane weed torch. I could see where it would be insanely fun to destroy privet, mimosa and most of all the invasive honeysuckle, not to mention several so called annual flowers and vines. Maybe a personal respirator suit/air pack like those used for working in seriously contaminated area's would work for the poison ivy....just a thought. Thank you for the information.

  • 21 years ago

    One tool I could not survive without is my red Radio Flyer wagon. It is strong, easy to move around and carries my always constant bag of dirt, peat moss and cow manure. I can pull it right up to the trucn of my car and flip heavy bags of dirt into with using my back very much. The wagon also carries new plants from my car to the farthest reaches also of my yard.

    I also love my tined digging tool. It goes into the thickest weeds easily, much better than a shovel. I start it in the dirt then practically stand straight up on it. Sometimes I jump around on it--kinda like on a pogo stick--haha!If I find a root in the hole I'm digging I can push the fork low and then stomp on it and the root will usually break. Give me these two tools and good pointed shovel and I can plant almost anything.

  • 21 years ago

    Hi guys... Long time no talk to.

    Last week I purchased a tool that has three tines on one side and a flat hatchet on the other. I had no idea how much I would LOVE this tool. I've used it every day this week. My plants are very close together, too, and this tool allows me to get in between. It easily cultivates a spot to plant a new jewel; it's good for breaking up a root clump; and for scraping tiny weeds away... I love it!

    Does anyone know the name of it?

  • 21 years ago

    One website called it a "hand pick".

    My favorite tool is my pickup truck. I can go to the cattle auction and get an entire pickuptruckload of aged cow manure, or to my favorite mulch provider and get a bedful of mulch, or to a plant swap!

    I also would not be without my tough foam kneeling pad, and my rubber clogs. Yes, the tops of my feet get a little muddy, but it beats caked up, clayed up sneakers or boots! They dry quickly, and one whack together sends the clay flying. Mine have an optional water-resistant fuzzy insole that can come out to be washed.

  • 21 years ago

    Just found another gardening forum online that had this discussion a few years ago - some interesting tools mentioned there!

    http://forums.organicgardening.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1249&messageID=5811

  • 21 years ago

    My favorite thing for the garden is a bench seat, so I can
    rest real often.
    Norm

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio