Software
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

Let's try again... ID the last few plants?

21 years ago

OK, my site works again. I've received a bunch of IDs, here and on the "Name That Plant!" forum. Thank you!

I still have seven with no positive IDs, #3, #6, #7, #8, #9, #17 and #22 (I renumbered so now there are not two 20s!)

#19 and #20 have only been tentatively ID'd so I will take pictures when they bloom and try again.

#3 is driving me crazy not having a good ID! I will take better pics and try again with all the unidentified plants.


1. Marsh Mallow (yes, where the candy originally came from)

Althea officinalis

2. Sneezewort

Achillea ptarmica 'The Pearl'

3. unknown

4. Thyme

Thymus

5. Common Valerian, also known as Garden Heliotrope

Valeriana officinalis

6. unknown

7. unknown

8. unknown

9. unknown

  1. White Stonecrop aka Jellybean Sedum

    Sedum album

  2. Tasteless Stonecrop

    Sedum sexangulare

  3. Creeping Jenny

    Lysimachia nummularia

  4. Bishop's weed, aka Ground Elder

    Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegata'

  5. Hardy Geranium 'Johnson's Blue'

    Geranium L.

  6. Hardy Begonia

    Begonia grandis

  7. Dragon's Blood Sedum

    Sedum spurium

  8. unknown Azalea

  9. Asiatic Dayflower

    Commelina communis 'Variegata Regina' (my variant!)

  10. Sedum spectabile but variant not known

  11. unknown Hollyhock or Malva

  12. Thrift

    Armeria maritima

  13. unknown Daylily

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants I Can't Identify

Comments (13)

  • 21 years ago

    #6 looks like Nigella (Love-in-a-mist)I've grown this little beauty for years. It can get up to about 30" but average is about 24". It grows thru the winter, very slowly, then hits warp speed in the spring. Mine are blooming now. It will give you many seeds, but not invasive. It'll grow in shade to mostly sun, but doesn't like late afternoon sun. I have blue, white, and lilac. I hope that is the plant you have because it will bring you a lot of joy. The seed pods are as pretty as the blooms. Good luck on finding the rest of your id's and may God bless you with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    #7 is St Johns Wort

    #8 is either Cardinal flower or Blue Lobelia possibly

    #14 looks like Johnsons Blue Geranium. Does best in full sun, can stand poor soil

    #15 Looks like Hardy Begonia. Requirements same as Geranium, will grow almost anywhere.

    Doug

  • 21 years ago

    About the St. John's wort...

    A co-worker of mine has a plant on her desk that has two ID flags sticking out of it that say "St. John's Wort." The planter appears to have spent time outside because it is a bit dirty on its outsides. The plant that is growing in this planter looks NOTHING like the plant you have told me is St. John's Wort. This plant very diminutive; its leaves are half the size of my pinky nail. They occur in pairs up the stem, with each pair about 1 inch apart from the next set. The leaves are very tender-looking, as if this plant would dry up quickly if left in the sun or not watered for a period of time. The leaves are quite round, and it sort of trails in strings off the edge of her desk - a few of the shorter stems can lift themselves in the air. The stems seem to twist a bit. I have not seen it flower this year. It has little black dots around the very edges of the undersides of the leaves. It doesn't have a smell when the leaves are crushed.

    Could this really be a species of Hypericum or is it a weed? The one of mine you've said is St. John's Wort is a giant compared to this plant.

  • 21 years ago

    #7 is St Johns Wort

    #8 is either Cardinal flower or Blue Lobelia possibly

    #14 looks like Johnsons Blue Geranium. Does best in full sun, can stand poor soil

    #15 Looks like Hardy Begonia. Requirements same as Geranium, will grow almost anywhere.

    Doug

  • 21 years ago

    So here's an interesting note about my varigated dayflower find... someone on the "Name that Plant!" forum suggested it might be Tradescantia fluminensis 'Variegata' or Tradescantia albiflora.

    Both are often kept as hanging-basket houseplants, and get white dayflower-type flowers. Also, if they do not get enough light, the foliage will revert to green, and sometimes they throw green segments for no particular reason. Both are referred to as "wandering jew" on various websites, and mention that they do escape cultivation occasionally. I have never had them as houseplants so I'm still not convinced this is Tradescantia and not Commelina. I will wait to see the blooms.

    Even people who say they have encountered these as weeds have had people volunteer to take the "weeds" from them. The color is striking. I will grow as much of it as I can so I will have some to share! I'm thinking we shall all have to try to overwinter it in order to keep it from disappearing...

  • 21 years ago

    Regina -- you've exceeded your bandwidth again, so I can't refresh my memory about the pics. But as for St. John's wort -- there are different species of "St. John's wort", and they do look very different. Do a web search on Hypericum and check out all the types.

    Oh, also -- unless you got the geranium ID from the person who actually traded the plant to you, you can't ID it just from the leaves. There are many many types, and they can look very similar. I've got several blue varieties -- including Johnson's Blue, Brookside, Rozanne, Summer Skies, and so on -- so if yours does eventually bloom blue, you can compare. :-)

  • 21 years ago

    It's Johnson's Blue. I brought it and recognize the pot that it is in.

    Rebecca

  • 21 years ago

    There ya go! :-)

  • 21 years ago

    6 - Looks like Queen Ann's Lace
    7 - Definitly St. John's Wort

  • 21 years ago

    #2 = Eupatoreum maculatum, one of the Joe Pye Weeds. #3 is the Achillea.
    #6 looks like a Daucus. Probably Queen Anne's Lace.
    #7 = Hypericum calycinum.
    #8 looks like Physostegia virginica to me -- Obedient Plant. Invasive, unless it's a white-flowered cultivar named 'Miss Manners'.

    Marty

  • 21 years ago

    #6 is mountain bluet...in case nobody has id'd it yet lol.

    Cheryl

  • 21 years ago

    Cheryl,

    Do you mean Centaurea montana? #6's leaves don't resemble it... #8's do, but those on #8 appear serrated, unlike those of Centaurea montana. I wonder if perhaps there's a different plant that has that common name?

  • 21 years ago

    Hmmmm well you know you're right. I was given a pot of this and told it was Mountain Bluet at the middle TN swap, so I was going by that. Darn ! I was so hoping it was too, but the leaves are nothing alike.

    Cheryl

Sponsored