Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dia224

Help with leaf problems

dia224
17 years ago

Hi! I have learned so much from these forums. So thank you all!

I am completely new to growing anything. I would say so far so good, however, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed pretty much all of my plants with this problem. Btw, these are all Romas. The edges of the bottom leaves seem to be turning a purplish color and curling a bit. Eventually, the leaves are yellowing and dying off. I have been pulling them off here and there. (I will try to attach a pic.)

To tell you about the plants themselves - they are all romas. I set them out at the beginning of June (I live in St. Louis, MO, btw). They are in 5 gal containers. I did not successfully get them staked too well, but nothing is on the ground - as a matter of fact, the foliage/toms that overhang closest to the ground seem to be ok, it seems to be mostly the foliage from the bottom of the plant itself.

I am guessing it may be either a fungal problem or maybe even a nutrient deficiency (that was the closest pic that I could find). But I haven't been able to find any exact pictures in all of the searches that I have done up until now. The tomatoes all look good (we overcame some BER issues earlier this season with the addition of a drip irrigation system on a timer!). A couple have even started to turn red!

So my questions...

1. What is going on?

2. If it is fungal, aside from Daconil, what can you recommend as a solution? Has anyone actually tried the milk spray or horse chestnut? I am trying to avoid chems as I spent a bit already on organic soil and fertilizers.

3. If this is a fungal or other systemic problem but the fruit ripen and look ok, is it safe to eat them?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight that you can provide!

-Lydia

Image link:

Comments (2)