Software
Houzz Logo Print
northknoxlady

Pink weed trees...

20 years ago

What's the name of those trees that look kind of like mimosas, only they have small clusters of pink flowers. They are obviuosly weed trees as they are everywhere and you can tell they multiply. Still, I think they sure are pretty.

Also does everyone know about the garden recycling place in Kaarns? They have huge scoops (two fill a small pick-up)of great looking mulch for only $5.00 & they also sell all kinds of soils and additives.

My friend took me there today and it was like taking a kid to a candy store. Too bad I only have a tiny Subaru.

Comments (8)

  • 20 years ago

    Unless I miss my guess, they are mimosas. They have run pretty wild. I like the way the look, myself.

  • 20 years ago

    Mimosa have small clusters of pink flowers and are in bloom now. They are a nuisance species that should be avoided, no matter how much you like them. ;-)

  • 20 years ago

    as stated, the trees your seeing are mimosa and are prolific re-seeders and thats why everyone is telling you not to plant one. i like the flowers too.

    the mulch they sell in solway is low grade and often contains poison ivy and potentially harmful bugs. the price is right though especally if you need a lot. i got a private tour of the recycle center just prior to it opening a few years ago and i must say it is impressive what they do there.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for the info about the pretty trees. I think I'll just continue to enjoy them by the roadside. I already have enough unwanted tree problems with sumacs that come up everywhere all over my yard.

    Ooh, I hope I don't get any poison ivy or bugs in my mulch! How did you discover this? I saw the mulch piles smoking like crazy the day I was there & therefore thought any bad things would be killed.

    Grateful to all as usual
    Carole Ann

  • 20 years ago

    i got poison ivy on both hands/arms and legs after spreading some of that mulch. im sure not all of it has PI in it, but the load i got did. i think my case may have been the exception, not the norm.

  • 20 years ago

    If I wanted a mimosa and didn't have one, I'd get one and plant it. They are all over the place now and you probably have a bunch within seed scattering range anyway. They aren't nearly as bad as many plants we commonly use in our gardens. Think of all the wonderful nitrogen they'll add to your soil with their nitrogen fixing ability. I'm afraid of many invasive plants, but mimosa is not one of them.

  • 20 years ago

    I have very fond memories of mimosa -- my grandmother's yard had a big one that I enjoyed every year when I was little. I've got some in my back yard right now, and they smell lovely at night. They can be a pain in the seedling department, though.

  • 20 years ago

    I have one in the front yard that was one of our first trees here. It does smell so good. I have to say I have had alot less trouble from it that the *^#@# sweet gums in the back. We just mow or pul any babies that pop up.

Sponsored