Software
Houzz Logo Print
tibb188

Mulch or stone

20 years ago

I am in a dilemma. I want to use midnight mulch for my new landscaping bed but my wife has heard that the mulch is a breeding ground for termites. Is this true? I made a stone path walkway with decorative white rock and it looks real good. Should I stay away from the mulch and go with the rock or is the mulch story an urban legend?

Thanks,

Comments (8)

  • 20 years ago

    My exterminater advised me to remove all wood mulch as well as the inground fountain that was next to my house after he got rid of the termites. I now have lava rock and an above ground fountain. I still use hardwood mulch but it is well away from the house. Have you seen the rubber mulch that looks just like shredded wood mulch?

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks ladybug,
    Are you talking about the rubber mulch that is used in playgrounds?

  • 20 years ago

    I'd stay away from midnight mulch altogether, termites or no. It's black the same way railroad ties are black -- coal tar/creosote. It's not good for plants, plus it's made from hardwood mulch, which is also not a good idea. Hardwood mulch can tie up nitrogen as it decomposes (your plants turn sickly yellow when they're suffering nitrogen deficiency) and it adds alkalinity as it decomposes. In Murfreesboro that's not what you need as your soil likely has a pH of somewhere around 6.7 to 7 as it is. I'd strongly recommend pine bark mulch for best success and plant health. If you want a refined look, go with pine fines, also known as soil conditioner. This is just finely chipped bark, and looks very nice. Your plants will thank you. To deter termites, don't let the mulch touch the house. I've heard that 18" away is sufficient, but don't take that as gospel. I'd ask an exterminator.

    As for stone mulch, I personally don't think it's such a good idea unless your ABSOLUTELY sure that you'll never want to dig or do anything else in that location ever again. Believe me, you'll regret the day you chose a gravel mulch if you decide to change the bed or replant (I speak from sad experience here). Plus if it's a sunny site, the rock will collect a significant measure of heat in summer, which means for success you limit yourself to plants that can take such desert-like or center-of-a-cedar-glade type conditions.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    My house is clay colored. I'm gonna use either river rock or pea gravel (pretty much the same, just checking cost differences)to create about a foot wide strip all around my house. Then I'll position the mulched plant beds around that. I figure this'll give me a buffer to discourage the termites and leave me some walking room in case I need to make repairs or do maintenance to the house, clean windows or whatnot. The color of the stone is about the same as the color of my house, plus when the plants grow you won't be able to see the rocks much at all anyway. Hope that helps!

  • 20 years ago

    The recycled rubber mulch sounds like a good idea. See link below for a manufacturer.
    When I was at Lowes the other day I saw some stepping stones made out of the recycled rubber chips. Very nice looking.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Groundscape recycled rubber

  • 20 years ago

    I had a loss where the customers house burned because something caught the rubber mulch on fire. Just something to think about.

  • 20 years ago

    Now I'm concerned about all the cedar mulch around my house in beds that I've spent months preparing. I'll have to check into the termite thing. Our pest control company has said nothing to us about it at all. Thanks for the warnings!

    Katie

  • 20 years ago

    It looks like either wood mulch or rocks is not good as it creates a moist environment. I just found some info posted on another website and wanted to share it.

    Katie

    Here is a link that might be useful: Link about mulches

Sponsored