Software
Houzz Logo Print
tnshadylady_gw

Smells great at my house!

21 years ago

I made my neighbors come over to sniff brugs last night. With the extreme heat, I know the blooms won't last long. And I moved all the ones in pots into full shade and put the outdoor umbrella over Ambrosia to give it some shade.

I sure hope I see blooms like this again once the temps moderate some!!

VersiPeach and Maya

Cypress Gardens

Ambrosia

Comments (19)

  • 21 years ago

    Marvelous!!! I have only one bloom. What is your fertilizer schedule?

  • 21 years ago

    The potted ones receive a heavy dose of earthworm castings and an organic fertilizer when they are repotted in the spring. And the in-ground ones are planted with a generous amount of manure at the time of planting, plus a top dressing of StayGreen tree and shrub fertilizer (the one that has minors in it).

    I foliar feed with Maxicrop about every 2 weeks, and most of mine receive a weekly dose of either alfalfa, seakelp or manure tea.

  • 21 years ago

    Oh my goodness! You are the Magic Mistress of Brugs! If you live on a main road, I'm sure every day you hear the screeching of brakes. Your neighbors must love you! The smell of a brug is so beautiful.

  • 21 years ago

    If you want a great smell come over to our place!
    We had over 50 Datura blooms last night. It was awesome!!!
    The Honey Bees were covering them at midnight, they couldn't get enough.
    It gave new meaning to the phrase "Busy Bee".
    No pun intended Bev.

  • 21 years ago

    WOW Nat, your Bloomers are beautiful! (Bet no one has told you that in awhile)
    Your manure tea must be working to have so many blooms in this heat. I will have to try your recipe for fertilizer. You obviously have it down. Thanks for sharing!!!

  • 21 years ago

    I noticed that I had tons of honey bees this morning on the brugs also! They were frantic to get some of that tasty pollen with 3 and 4 bees in the same bloom at the same time.

    And Mel, I'll have you know that it's been a LONNNGGGGG time since anyone cared about my bloomers! Hehe

    I had mixed up several buckets of kelp tea to sit overnight and with this heat, boy did it smell stinky last night.

    Datura pictures, please????? :)

  • 21 years ago

    Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous pics! Congratulations on growing such beautiful brugs. What I can see of the rest of your beds looks beautiful, too. Looks like your own personal paradise! :)

  • 21 years ago

    When I saw the title, I guessed you were talking about oriental lilies.....wrong.

    It has smelled nice at my house all of July with 25 or so orientals spread throughout the yard. Some of them with 10 or 15 blossoms open at the same time. With all the humidity, they really catch your nose.

    If I ever get a greenhouse or a good place to store brug's, I might give them a try, but I already have way too many things that need winter protection.

  • 21 years ago

    I'd be more than happy to post some pics if I knew how!

  • 21 years ago

    I upload the photos I want to post onto Photobucket (free storage site). And then I copy the contents of the "tag box" into my message. If you are serious about not knowing how to post photos (I could have sworn I had seen photos of yours), please feel free to email me and I'll be happy to see if I can walk you through the process.

    I have to admit, I had a hard time figuring out how to do it on this site and I still mess up getting the sizing right sometimes.

    Cheryl - - known as "Nat" to my gardening buddies!

  • 21 years ago

    Wow! Magazine perfect!

  • 21 years ago

    Ok, last night we had 101 Datura blooms and tonight we had 108. We had 71 blooms just on two plants tonight. The aroma and sight of them is breathtaking! We had 24 blooms on this plant.

    This one was a volunteer (What else?) down by the mailbox and it had over 30 blooms.

  • 21 years ago

    Wowie, look at those blooms! Are these grown in pots? If so, I can't believe how large they have gotten!!!

  • 21 years ago

    No, they aren't in pots. They just re-seed themselves every year and end up popping up all over the place. I usually throw a bunch of them away because they come up like weeds. We kept five plants this year. I can bring TONS of seeds to the Fall Swap if anyone wants them.

  • 21 years ago

    I'd love to have a few seeds! That's really a pretty plant!

    Katie

  • 21 years ago

    The Brugs are so pretty! I really do love these plants. So much bang for so little care.

    How you doing Jeff? Yes please bring me some seeds also. That is one pretty plant that you have growing. I hope you and Lavonne are doing great. Love to you all and may God bless each of you with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    Hey Mona! How are you and David doing? Email me!!!
    Lavonne and I are still fighting to get this dang remodeling finished. I was going crazy over it but now I'm just numb.

    Between the JB's and this drought, our beds and grass haven't looked this bad in four years. Add to that the four months of neglect that was necessitated due the interior problems and you can get a picture of just how awful Cheapwwod looks inside and out.

    Wow, just 59 days and 14 hours until we get to hang out at the Swap!!!
    Dang, I've GOT to get busy with it.

  • 21 years ago

    Hi guys....educate me on Brugs.....shade or sun? ...when to plant?.....where can I buy some? Love the photos. We just had a screen room added on the back of the house and I think Brugs would be great just outside the porch. Thanks for your info......belle

  • 21 years ago

    Belle,

    I discovered that there is a Brug Forum on GardenWeb with lots of information and a Frequently Asked Questions page as well. They are very informative.

    I have my first 3 plants this year. One of my plants had 3 blooms, so I feel pretty lucky. Many more people here have been very successful, but for starters you can try the two pages I mentioned. :-)

    Katie (formerly DirtDiggingLady)

    Here is a link that might be useful: Brug Frequently Asked Questions

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting