Software
Houzz Logo Print
sparklplenty_tn

what is happening to my hostas?

20 years ago

There is a hosta in my front yard that was here when I moved to the house. It has always been the most beautiful plant. This year it started out really pretty. But in the last month the leaves have yellowed and become limp. The conditions with lighting and all are the same. I water them, feed them, put out insectide and some slug bait, being sure to not get any on the leaves. I am at a loss to know what to do to recover them before they die. Does anyone know what could be going on?

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    What kind of light conditions is it in? What type of soil? Have you been watering it during the drought? Has anything else changed? Can you post a pic?

  • 20 years ago

    It's the heat and lack of rain. Ours are the same way.

  • 20 years ago

    That's what I suspect too, but I definitely can't be sure without knowing more. My area has also been through a terrible drought with temps in the high 90's for a long time, but my hostas are doing very well. They're in a shady area and have had a little supplemental watering.

  • 20 years ago

    I have been babinmg mine right now. They are in the shade.I go out and water at dusk.They have dropped alittle but not bad.I know they will come back next year with a vengince.

  • 20 years ago

    The ones in our backyard that we have in our shade beds are fine but the ones in the front yard that get full sun look like crap.
    The humidity in Nashville lately has been off the hook. I'm not even bothering to fool with the stuff that's full sun because I couldn't water it enough without draining the Old Hickory Lake and Priest Lake reservoirs.

  • 20 years ago

    Also check the roots. Grasp the plant near the crown and pull gently. If the plant comes up easily, the roots have either rotted or have been eaten by voles. Good luck!

    And Jeff -- I was in Nashville today, and BOY was it miserable! WOW, I always forget that Nashville can be NASTY when it's hot and humid and STILL. Knoxville almost never has such still air. Always makes me happy to not live in Nashville any more! (And sorry, I was on a tight schedule or I woulda contacted you about getting these baby lilies to you!)

  • 20 years ago

    Excuses, excuses, excuses! I've been hearing this for 5 years now. I was home, you shoulda called or just popped by. We're 5 minutes from 24 & Haywood Lane and 2 minutes from 65 & Harding Place. I reckon we'll expect to see you when we actually see you pull up in the driveway. ;-)

    It was brutal yesterday! That was one of the worst humidity factors I can remember in a while. I cut a dead tree down for one of the widows that live next door to my parents. In 15 minutes I was drenched in sweat! After 45 minutes I was about to pass out.

  • 20 years ago

    Hey -- just tell me that you want to adopt a doberman, and I'll pull up at your doorstep TOMORROW. :-)

    I adopted out a dog in Mt. Juliet yesterday, then went to visit my folks in Oak Hill, then drove up Nolensville Rd. to have yummy fish at the Florida Seafood Kitchen. Not a bad day, overall -- though we all know it would have been even better if it had included a visit to Cheapwood!

  • 20 years ago

    We picked up a new puppy the Sunday after the spring swap. Some @$&*%# dumped him off in the Kroger parking lot while he was still moving. So now we have a Border Collie and a Fox Terrier mix. We don't need a Dobie.

    You were within a mile of our house! How was FSK? We went there five years ago and it was awful so we've never gone back.

  • 20 years ago

    Hey Sparkle:( I see somebody still remembers Dick Tracy)

    Are your Hostas planted under any large trees? Hostas
    like alot of water, and with the drought we have been
    having this Summer, it is hard for them to get enough water.
    The trees are sucking up just about everything that goes into the ground. The majority of my Hostas are not
    very happy this Summer. I water every single morning almost
    for two solid hours. I thought that may be to much,however
    when I started watering even more, some of my Hostas started
    recovering.
    When it is as dry as it has been many trees root systems
    head for the surface area to catch moisture. Has Hostas are
    fairly shallow rooted, they will dry out easily with all this heat.
    I fertilize all my garden Monthly with Miracle Grow and
    everything seems to be doing well, except my Hostas. I began
    increasing the water I give them, and they have perked up.

  • 20 years ago

    My hostas have been fine depending on where they are.....My double colors have been swearing at me all summer long. My single colors are sighing going mom can't you water us a little more. None have been doing great but they will come back. I'm surprised I still have tomatoes and watermelons........It's just to hot...my houseplants are making a suicide plan with me to just give up.....and the cats have decided to stay in the house. Theres a point that you can't do everything......
    Martha

Sponsored