Software
Houzz Logo Print
pelamm

REALLY Newbie Here

21 years ago

Hi everyone. I live in midsouth TN, about 10 miles from the AL border. I would like to grow some really simple plants - I had some Wandering Jew in TX that I loved. I would like to learn to propagate some things that were here when I married my husband - rose of sharon, bamboo his brother brought from Asia, I believe, and a little dogwood. I am also interested in daylilies, but all anyone has in my neighborhood are yellow and orange - I would love something bright red!!! I have bought a red calla lily bulb I need to plant, and a hosta. (I am really cheap, and envisioning a day when I can divide plants). I have 1 struggling azalea bush I planted. I had a couple of climbing blazes in TX I loved, but I don't think our soil drains well enough here. Eventually I might like to try hydrangeas.

Anyway, I would love to do exchanges but have nada at this point. Any suggestions? LOL.

Thanks.

Paula

Comments (6)

  • 21 years ago

    Paula welcome to Tennessee!!! You are in luck. We have two plant swaps a year here on the TN Gardening Forum. You just missed our Spring Swap May 21st but the Fall Swap is Oct. 15th. They are held at Buffalo Canoeing south of Hohenwald. Shoot me an email at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net and I'll send you guys all the info you need.

    Jeff

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Paula,

    Just where are you? I grew up in that area. You really must come to the Fall plant swap. You won't go home empty handed even if all you can bring is a desire to learn and share.

    Photos from the Spring swap are located here...

    Middle Tn Spring Plant Swap 2005

  • 21 years ago

    Hi, Paula! I am also a transplant from Texas. I moved here to Paris, Northwest Central Tennessee, from 40 miles east of Austin. I'm finding things a lot different here----I had almost pure sand for soil in the Lost Pines of Central Texas, and here I have a lot of clay to deal with. The only thing the same is that both soils are acidic, so I dug my blueberries and azaleas in Texas to bring here. Oh, and I have over 90 roses that I brought with me. I missed the spring swap here, (had to work that weekend), but I really want to get to the fall swap---that's when I'm used to planting things in Texas, so I'll be ready for new plants here, too. I should have cuttings of my roses by that time to share and the previous owner of our place here in TN left some great hibiscus that I will have to divide by fall.
    Where in Texas did you move from? I was active with the Texas Rose Rustlers and attended most of the meetings all over Central and East Texas in the last three years.
    I've made some good garden buddies at work here and am really looking forward to meeting the Tennessee Garden Webbers at the fall swap. Welcome to Tennessee!

  • 21 years ago

    Paula, let me add my invititation to the fall swap...one time is all it takes...you will be hooked...nicest people on God's green earth...and I don't think you are far from us, either... go to www.buffalocanoeing.com for directions.

    Jan

  • 21 years ago

    Hey, I'm TNGreenThumb's sister,and I live not much farther into Al than you're into TN. Let me know just where you're at---maybe we can do an in-person swap! I've recently gotten REALLY into propagarion, so I've got LOTS of baby plants to share! (Many of which will be going to the fall Mid-Tenn Swap. *grin*)

  • 21 years ago

    Well I'm about 20 miles from the AL boarder,north of Huntsville, but I understand being cheap. I look for marked down plants at the end of season, my azaelas were 75 cents a piece at Lowe's about 12 years ago, they are beautiful now and have been for about 10 of those years, so don't get discourage about pricing, and you will learn what can survive here.
    Wondering Jew needs to be inside in the winter here, but they love it outside in the summer.
    Also Welcome to TN

Sponsored