Software
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Nigela - 'Love in a Mist'

21 years ago

I got some dried seed heads of this from someone at the Fall Plant Swap. (Sorry, I can't remember who it was.) They just started blooming and I just love them! My first time growing these will not be my last.

{{gwi:59149}}

Click for a larger image.

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Comments (9)

  • 21 years ago

    Hi Joe,
    I've been growing these babies for about 5 years. They are one of my garden favorites. It's just as pretty setting the seed pods as the blooms are. I gathered about a million seeds yesterday if you need anymore. You can get other colors, but the blue seems to be the dominant one that returns every year from self sowing.

    I finally got some blooms on my older brugs this week. The pink and white ones. My newer ones from last year, are still very small and are not growing at all like they should. I'm afraid the cold may have really hurt them. I didn't take them in, just left them in the ground. Maybe by this fall they will give me a few blooms. I hope ya'll are getting some rain. We've had less than 3" in the past 10 weeks and it's so very dry. I've been watering like crazy, but it just not the same as God's watering.

    By the way, how's the house coming?

    Take care and may God bless you and yours with his loving Grace, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    I just discovered a few days ago that the "mystery plant" that no one ID'd out of my list was Nigella. It bloomed, and then I knew. I love it, too - thanks, whoever gave it at the swap!

  • 21 years ago

    I thought it might be you I got the seed pods from. It was up around your spot I remembered anyway. To me they smelled like grape bubble gum when I crushed them to get the seeds out. I'd like to sew several colors together and try to let them naturalize.

    I have three brugs coming up from the ground. I was surprised by all three. But the one I have out front that is in a drilled bucket has had a couple of blooms and will have many more as the season goes on.

    As for the house...well...see for yourself.
    Construction

    They should start bricking it this week as well as starting the fireplace and pouring the garage and basement floors.

  • 21 years ago

    Wow Zig it's looking great! I'm sure that ya'll are glad to have it dried in now. What date are ya'll shooting for to actually move in?

    When's the party?

  • 21 years ago

    Hey Jeff! Sometime early to mid September is what we are hoping for on the move in. May be October before we will feel like partying.

  • 21 years ago

    Very Impressive Joe! You are doing a great job of documenting the progess. I just love the location, the basement and the Front Porch is a winner big time! Just think of all the fun you will have landscaping a blank yard. You can let your imagination run wild. When you get in and want to get started, if I have any plants that you would like to have, just let me know and I will bring them to the swap. Where do ya'll live, by the way. It might be close enough of a visit one day. Take care and don't work too hard. I'll bring you a big pack of Nigela seed to the fall swap, remind me, or I'll forget. Love to you both, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    Hey Mona we'd like some of those too!

  • 21 years ago

    Ok Jeff,
    Love in a mist is one of those little flowers that everyone should have! I'll be sure to bring seeds to the fall swap. If you would like to have some now, send me your snail addy and I'll send some your way. All you need to do, is spread them on the top of the soil, water them in and they'll germinate between now and Spring and they actually grow all winter, slowly, but grow they do. I transplant the babies around in the garden as I wish, I just have to do it before they get very big, or they really will hate to be moved once they are bigger and will not grow much once they are moved, so move them early next Spring. Once you get them established in a bed, you will have them for a long time. Blessing to all and don't you eat to much tomorrow. Give Lavonne a hug for me, Mona

  • 21 years ago

    Mongo used to grow these, in all the colors of the rainbow!

    (For all y'all non-family members, Mongo was our paternal grandmother. *grin*)

0
Sponsored