Software
Houzz Logo Print
amazindirttn

dwarf trees --

21 years ago

Barry, you are officially an evil evil person. ;-)

When you gave me that little variegated boxwood just last week, I didn't own ANY dwarf trees. Lots of full-sized trees and shrubs in containers, sure -- but nothing in the dwarf/bonsai/rock garden range.

Well -- just one week later, I own FOUR.

I blame it all on you. Do you feel guilty?? LOL.

Does anyone else have dwarves? What sort? Anyone into bonsai? Rock gardens? My interest has been piqued. :-)

Comments (10)

  • 21 years ago

    I have a dwarf pinetum behind the house. Currently my collection is just over a dozen miniature and dwarf conifers, but when I start planting my arboretum, I'm gonna go crazy and have at least a half acre of them (-:

    If you start collecting these small pine, spruce, hemlock, fir, cedar, juniper, larch, yew, arborvitae, and even redwood and sequoia miniature and dwarf cultivars, you'll really get hooked too. It's almost like natural bonsai without all the work.

  • 21 years ago

    Mark Pitts here in Memphis specializes in conifers. He's been in the nursery business about thirty years, but went mail order only a few years ago. Maybe he has something you'd like.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Fantastic Plants Website

  • 21 years ago

    Very interesting link, thanks!

    Those of you with much more experience than I -- how much do I really have to worry about the potting mix for these guys? Does it really have to have extreme drainage, like the gravelly mix I see being sold for bonsai? Any input welcomed!

  • 21 years ago

    I have actually no real experience growing conifers. My garden has only a single conifer - a pine tree. But, I do know conifers need good drainage. Probably not the gravelly mix you're talking about, but a raised bed.

  • 21 years ago

    I have one. It's about 5"x5".
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Golden Sprite'

  • 21 years ago

    Very pretty arrangement! That's something like what I want to do with my guys. I haven't decided yet whether to put them all in individual pots, or group some of them.

    What kind of potting mix are you using?

  • 21 years ago

    Sharp drainage is fine if you keep them well watered, but I would think that medium drainage might be less labor intensive. Also, if I were going to keep them in pots, it would be big pots so they wouldn't dry out as fast. Trees in the ground tend to get more constant moisture, and that's what I would strive for. My babies are in raised beds with good average-draining topsoil. They like that just fine.

    If you want the ultimate site (in my opinion) for miniature and dwarf conifers, try Bloom River. They will send you extremely healthy trees with huge rootballs. The trees I ordered from them looked like they had all their roots intact! They seem as interested in keeping their trees alive as they are in making money.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom River

  • 21 years ago

    BTW, when I "recommended" medium draining soil above, I was talking about potting soil in containers. Good medium draining soil in containers (unless it's a real tall container) tends to approximate well drained soil in the ground. If you are planting in the ground, I would go for "good" drainage.

  • 21 years ago

    Sorry to hear about your condition...I'm afraid you're probably a goner but it's a fun ride.....
    The dwarf and mini conifers are the crack of the plant world IMHO - I now have 40+ and just really got started in the past 2 years. I would highly recommend Stanley and Sons nursery, especially if you have your eyes on more than a couple of cultivars - they will extend their wholesale prices to "collectors" under the right circumstances (email me if you want more info on this). I also think they have one of the best databases on size/culture/etc.
    I have to agree with Brandon the soil issue...in this area, a very sharp draining mix and a missed day or two of watering in the summer can spell disaster. I have almost all of mine planted in well amended beds but the few in pots require very regular water in the summer months.
    If you haven't already, go to the library or bookstore and check out Adrian Blooms book "Gardening With Conifers" - It'll do you in.

  • 21 years ago

    z -- now we know who the real addict is! LOL.

    Thanks, z and Barry, for your advice on the potting mix. I guess I'll use my good-ol' Miracle Gro potting mix, and maybe add some extra perlite. And I'll have to check out both those nurseries!

Sponsored