Software
Houzz Logo Print
edfinney

Can Anyone Identify This Plant

21 years ago

This is a picture of a plant growing in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I was wondering if anyone can identify it?? The plant I refer to is the Tall Grass. I thought it might be Hardy Sugar Cane but it doesn't quite have that look.

{{gwi:1289586}}

Comments (8)

  • 21 years ago

    I *think* that's giant reed grass.

  • 21 years ago

    My neighbors down the street have one of those. I have coveted it for a LOOOOOONG time. They've told me I may take a chunk off it - if I can! Not sure what to attack the rootball with - an axe? If anyone wants to help me in this endeavor, we'll get you a hunk, too. This thing is easily 18 feet tall. Properly taken care of, it's gorgeous. You need to take the chain saw to it in spring, just before the new shoots come up.

  • 21 years ago

    looks like a type of bamboo/grass or honestly corn haha

  • 21 years ago

    Looks like the variegated form of Arundo donax, Giant Reed. A major invasive plant in warm temperate, subtropical and tropical climates, BTW, so if you're thinking about planting it, please make sure it doesn't escape. It reseeds prolifically in moist ground and it likes all kinds of soil, from heavy clay to sand.

    Marty

  • 21 years ago

    I thought it was Arundo donax too, and Marty, you confirmed it. If that is what it is, it grows all over the place. I've even seen the non-variegated form on rafting trips on the Rio Grande.

    Marty, BTW, would you please contact me? I sent you an e-mail a couple of weeks ago and am concerned that I don't have your current addy.

    Virginia

  • 21 years ago

    My guess is also Arundo donax; Giant Reed. When I have seen it in NC they refer to it as cane grass. It is native there, I believe. I also think it may not be hardy much past zone 6. I do see it in zone 6 but it only gets about as tall as pampass grass---10' or so----not like the monster +20' I see in NC. The clumps I have seen have not changed appreciably in 10 years.

    My guess is it wouldn't be very invasive in most of Tennessee.

  • 21 years ago

    There is a huge clump of variegated giant reed at the UT gardens. It's very impressive, especially in the spring when the variegation is most visible.

  • 21 years ago

    This plant is not considered much of a threat in Tennessee (I had to research it.) I wouldn't plant it near water (which I guess makes it REALLY happy) but in my flowerbed it will be just fine. I LOOOOOOVE the specimen at the UT Trial Gardens.

    My neighbor's has just put up its seed head so I am for sure this is the plant. It seems to stay in clump form for them. Can't wait to see if my little pinch from it will grow roots.

Sponsored