Software
Houzz Logo Print
garden_grace

Musa Basjoo flowering w/fruit in TN!

20 years ago

I'm so excited I just had to announce it to the world! My 2 year old Musa Basjoo has a huge fat flower on it and 2 bunches of bananas! This has been it's second summer in the ground and I would say it's 10 ft or more. I was sceptical at first that it would even survive the winter, let alone produce fruit. This is one rewarding plant to grow. It has a huge impact and is trouble-free (except for keeping the babies dug away).

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    My browser must be broken. I looked above the text, below the text, even over to the side, but I can't find the pictures commemorating this wonderful occasion. Can you repost them? (-;

  • 20 years ago

    Brandon, I would LOVE to post the pics but the last time I tried to put up a pic I failed. No, it has not soured me for life, but really, I have no idea how to do it. I'll try a copy/paste again. But if you feel kind and generous, you could tell me how to do it. :-) (That was my "cute" smile that probably doesn't work as well as it once did!) I'll give it a try anyway. It IS incredible!!!

  • 20 years ago

    I think the easiest way would be to submit the photo to the Gardenweb Garden Galleries (see link below) and put the link to the photo in your next post here. You could submit it to the Tropical Paradise Gallery. I think that would match the subject.

    Wild Rose gave very good detailed instructions in an earlier post. Here's the link to her post: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tngard/msg1120010526428.html
    If you wanted the pic to show up here, once you post the pic to a gallery, you can left click on the pic and choose "properties" to get the photo's internet location address, then follow Wild Rose's instructions to copy the photo here. It sounds alot more complicated than it is. If you try it, I think you will find it fairly easy. If you decide to try it and have any questions, feel free to email me. If I'm causing you grief, just tell me to go away. ROFL.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Garden Galleries Page

  • 20 years ago

    I posted a pic in the Test Forum and restated Wild Rose's instructions (not that they weren't fine to start with). See the link below.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Embedded Pic and Instructions

  • 20 years ago

    Congratulations! You must have been AWFULLY nice to that banana. Exactly what did you do to it?

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Garden Grace:
    Wow....I'm jealous :-) I cut down to the ground, covered with a huge pile of mulch and then tried to over-winter the 'boos in the photo last year after (almost) everyone told me I was crazy to be diggin' them up and storing in my garage over the winter.


    Well....something happened and though the corms appeared happy & healthy around April when I peeked at them...by end of May all had turned to mush :-( I'll NEVER leave my 'boo in the ground again!! I was sick over losing the biggest one...boy it sure made a statement in my garden and I couldn't wait for it to get even bigger this year. But.......nooooooooooooooo! lol

    I am very curious. What did you do to succesfully over-winter yours? Any special fertilizing and/or watering techniques to have it flower?

    I look forward to hearing all about your 'naner growing tips!

    Thanks.

  • 20 years ago

    Brandon, you are not causing me grief! I was thinking it was me causing you grief! I appreciate your help! Anyway, I think maybe, possibly, there is an outside chance that I have them in the gallery. I will check soon because they said it takes a while to get them on the air... or is that IN the air??? ;-) I might have to start a new post to show the URL because Gardenweb does not see fit to allow me to post 2 times right in a row. I tried last night and they REJECTED my post! Can you imagine? That's just rude. Thanks again, very much.
    Thanks for the congrats. Honestly I have been so excited I would just love to take a bow when I finish jumping up and down.

    All I did to overwinter it was to make a ring of chicken wire about 18 inches out from the trunk and about 2 1/2 ft high, then fill it with leaves (I think any material that is not too dense would work). I did not cut it down. I removed old leaves that I could reach but didn't cut the center at all. Actually I would not recommend looking at it overmuch in the spring unless you have a strong stomach. Sort of yucky. But be brave or look away.... eventually a green leaf will force it's way thru the muck. It has really been one of my lower maintenance plants overall, including the overwintering!

    Stay tuned for pictures (we hope)!

  • 20 years ago

    Hopefully this post will appear as planned and my URL will work as planned. I have 2 pictures but could not figure out how to get both of them on here at once.
    Brandon, thanks again for your help. I love to take pictures and this is really so exciting to be able to post them on here and to be able to share this incredible bloom with people who can understand why it gets me so worked up!!!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Musa Basjoo Bloom in TN

  • 20 years ago

    By George I think we've got it! This should be the URL for the pic of the tree itself.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Musa Basjoo Tree

  • 20 years ago

    Here's your pics put into this thread:
    {{gwi:1290028}}

    {{gwi:1290029}}

    Wow! I sure hope mine does that in a year or two. It's just getting started this year, but seems to be doing OK. I hope it kicks into high gear next year, and from what I've heard I am hopeful that it will. I am going to mulch it with about 3" of hardwood mulch and hope that is enough. I have seen plants like the one over at the UT trial garden that seems to get almost no mulch but still do well.

  • 20 years ago

    P.S. .... You mentioned that Gardenweb wouldn't let you post twice to a thread. The reason for that is because it cuts down on someone accidentally double posting the same comment. You can easily get around this by changeing the subject. You can even do something as simple as changing the "RE:" to "Re:". I hate when I have to post twice to the same thread, but it seems like that happens to me constantly. I think of something new, get an idea, or see that I previously read something wrong and have to jump back in.

  • 19 years ago

    One of my bananas flowered last year, but I don't see anything this year. I've been leaving my plants in the ground for about five years now, and I've never had a problem. In fact, my plants are beginning to crowd one another.

    In the late fall, I cut the bananas back to about three feet and leave them alone. Come spring, they start growing on their own. I don't even mulch them in the winter.

    This year will be the test, however, as the Farmer's Almanac has called for a colder than average winter. I might dig a few babies just in case.

Sponsored