Software
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

Question for the Experts

20 years ago

I have had 'Miss Huff' lantana overwinter now for several years. I love the stuff, never deadhead, never water--how much better can that get. I tried all year to root cuttings without success until toward the end of summer. I stuck 6 cuttings in a pot of soil, placed a plastic bag over the pot, held up by sticks and low and behold all 6 rooted. Now the problem...The plants are about 4-5 inches tall now and have been in the ground for 2 weeks (in individual pots 2-3 weeks before planting in ground). I am afraid that the roots will not have time to grow sufficiently to survive the winter, even with 12" of pine straw. Today I put wall-of-waters around some of the plants and almost closed the top entirely, hoping that this will buy me a few more weeks for the roots to grow.

Do you think it would be better to (a) mound pine straw around the outside of the wall-of-water, (b) remove the wall-of-water and just place pine straw on top of the plants. We have already had frost 2 nights and it is supposed to be even colder tonight. I really want these lantanas to survive because this cultivar that is marginally hardy is not always easy to find in local nurseries.

Another question: I have 2 of the lantanas in pots in the house. Will they survive growing inside? They are in a south-facing window in a warm room. If left inside, what conditions do they need? Will they survive in the garage with low light and little water?

Comments (3)

Sponsored