Software
Houzz Logo Print
farmerbell

Gardening Gloves

20 years ago

I have a heck of a time finding gardening gloves to meet my needs. After about a week of hard use, the fingertips on my right glove wear out, especially the middle finger. If I get really thick gloves, I can't feel the plants, weeds I am trying to get hold of. I read a tip recently (don't think it was on this forum) that I tried and wanted to share. I bought some of those rubber finger tips found in office supply stores, put one on 4 of my finger tips of my right hand and then put on one of my worn out gloves. It was a little hard to get on, but once I got everything in place, it is easy to take my hands out of the glove, leaving the rubber tips in place. Now I can garden with worn out gloves and have these fairly thick new tips in my gloves. It WORKS! I paid about $2 for a dozen of these finger tips--compare that to the price of a pair of new gloves. I wanted to share this tip to help anyone else who has the same difficulties with gloves that I have.

Sorry I can't come to the plant swap--maybe one of these days. I would love to meet so many of you who post on the TN gardening forum regularly. Happy Gardening.

Comments (5)

  • 20 years ago

    I bought a pair of Mechanix gloves for women:

    http://www.mechanix.4ursafety.com/series-1-7.html

    I really like them, except that just one day after purchase the sewing along the "label" over my right thumb area let go, and dirt gets in that way. I'm contacting the company to see if I can get a replacement. Anyway, I LOVE these gloves otherwise! They're leather, so they are tough, BUT they are a thin enough leather that they bend even when not perfectly clean. Getting them a little moist makes them quite supple. They do not have seams in the usual places, so you won't get blisters while using them. And they have a neat wrist-closure system that helps keep dirt out from getting up under your wrists and into the gloves.

    My only gripe is that they could make a ladies' pair with longer fingers to accommodate those of us with long fingers (or who vainly attempt to keep longer nails!)

    They were a little on the expensive side compared to others, but they are the first gloves I've owned that I didn't feel like throwing in the trash after a few uses. In fact, I forget I'm wearing gloves, if you can believe that - they are that comfortable. These gloves stay out of your way but save your hands.

  • 20 years ago

    I just read on the Mechanix website that these gloves are not really leather - it's "synthetic leather" - well they fooled ME! It feels like leather and performs just as well as leather. Wow.

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for the info. I'll check out these gloves. Maybe these will be my answer, although the rubber fingertips really add longevity to any pair of gloves.

  • 20 years ago

    OK, I spoke too soon. Today I popped a hole in the tip of my left middle finger on these gloves. However, I was doing some unusual work - I was scraping out my truck bed liner after shoveling out a load of pea gravel. That job would have been murder on the fingertips, so I can understand it wearing through a glove tip. Actually this was the third time I'd done this particular task in these gloves. I don't believe that regular old "digging in the dirt" gardening would have caused this damage to the gloves.

  • 20 years ago

    I bought "Mud Gloves" for the first time last year and liked them so much I bought another pair this year. A pair lasts about one season and costs less than $10. I finally sprung a leak in the thumb on the right-hand glove this past week, but that's not bad considering how much use these have gotten.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting