Software
Houzz Logo Print
wild_rose_gw

Just for Fun

20 years ago

I've seen this in other forums, but don't recall us ever doing this here. Are there any stories behind your GW names? I surprised myself by being right about Ione's, but will leave that to her to tell if she wants. A lot of us use our names and/or initials but the combinations make humorous IDs.

I'll start. I'm a wild woman who loves roses? Maybe yes ;-) , but that wasn't actually the inspiration. It is a description of my real or scientific name. My maiden name is Rose and Rosa virginiana is a wild rose. Hence, Wild_Rose.

Your turn.

Virginia

Comments (20)

  • 20 years ago

    Virginia Rose, how nice! :-)

    The story behind my original GW name, Amazondoc (which is also my screen name all over the internet), is no big secret. I happen to like double entendres. And in this case, it's even a bit of a triple entendre. :-)

    I'm a veterinarian. When I was in practice, I did a lot of exotic animal medicine, including bird medicine. When I quit practice I went back to graduate school -- studying Amazon parrot behavior. I also own Amazon parrots. I'm also six feet tall and a bit fierce. ;-) So interpret it whichever way you like best!

  • 20 years ago

    Right about now is when I wish I had some clever story. You don't have to understand quantum particle theory to figure this one out.

  • 20 years ago

    I think mine is pretty obvious....I live so close to the Smokies. On my way home each day I would come over a hill and see the misty Smokies :o) I wish there was more to tell about mine but that's it. Does anyone have a 'second' GW name that they use in other forums or is this just about it ?

    Cheryl

  • 20 years ago

    I use Soeur on other GW forums. Soeur is "sister" in French, and is the nick my older brother jokingly called me when he was acting snottily elegant and sophisticated, or what we thought was such behavior as kids. I, in return, called him Frere (brother). Soeur is pronounced in English much like "sur" -- not "sewer", by the way :). Elsewhere on the net my nick is "Parula", which is a species of New World wood warbler and reflects another passion, birding. Why I have two nicks and not just one is lost in the mists of cybertime. IOW, I don't remember why I decided to do that when I joined GW.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    Im with Jeff. Mine is really pretty obvious(unless your not a race fan). Intimidator was the nickname given to the late Dale Earnhardt, a guy who I have been a fan of both on and off the track for over 20 years,and 3 was his car number. Kinda ties both of my passions together, gardening and racing. Still wish I could have gotten into race engineering somehow.

    Doug

  • 20 years ago

    Marty what a neat story behind your name. This is a great thread Virginia !

  • 20 years ago

    I am the 5th generation of my family and we have always lived in the Shady Grove community since we came to America (a really long time ago). I am also trying really hard to turn a suburban lot into a woodland garden. Shady Grove.
    I second the "great thread Virginia!"

  • 20 years ago

    I'm glad you don't think it's silly.
    Jeff, I admit your name is an easy one to figure out, and Doug, to racing fans yours would be too. I'm not though and wouldn't have known that Dale was known as the Intimidator and drove car number 3 if I hadn't read Sharyn McCrumb's book St. Dale earlier this year. Ione, we talked about your name at the swap - that's a cool name. Cheryl, I'd love to be able to see the mist on the mountains - the highest spot in Memphis is a freeway overpass, LOL. Marty, I knew Soeur was sister in French, but it's neat how you got the nickname and kept it And, ShadyGrove5 - as mobile as our society has become, how cool for your family to have stayed in the same area all those years! Let's keep it up. This is fun.

  • 20 years ago

    I'll give you one hint about my name. I love tomatoes.
    Norm

  • 20 years ago

    This is a great post, and since I've never had the pleasure to meet any of you, it's like getting to know you just a little bit better. I'm not terribly creative, so just picked my name in memory of my dearest and best friend of 18 years. Krikit was my 7 lb. schnoodle. She was 14 when my husband & I married and it was so amazing to watch her wrap a 220 lb man around her little paw.

    Frances

  • 20 years ago

    Let's see...I like cannas and havana rhymes, LOL! I have been asked in the past if I am from Cuba! On another forum, I am SouthernSkies, after the name of my business.

    Rebecca
    (Born and bred in the hills of TN)

  • 20 years ago

    Rebecca, did you sign up on another computer and use a different e-mail addy to get your second name? I've thought of using a business-related one on other forums, but didn't want to give up this one.

  • 20 years ago

    Virginia, other forums meaning other websites. I don't know if you can have mulitiple ID's here at GardenWeb. I am SouthernSkies on Tinkers Garden.

    Rebecca

  • 20 years ago

    Oh, that makes sense. On my website I'm Mrs. Greenjeans - another take on my name and another story, but someone else on GW already has that name anyway. Having two names is probably against the GW rules even if it were possible.

  • 20 years ago

    What's your web site, Virginia? I'd love to check it out!

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks, amazin'. Please do, but be aware it's seriously under construction and all the links may not work. You can get there from my member page.

  • 20 years ago

    I am not creative with names. My married name is Bell and my maiden name was Farmer and since I dig in the dirt most of the time I thought Farmerbell for my GW name pretty much described me.

  • 20 years ago

    Virginia, thanks for mentioning the book "St. Dale". Until now I thought that I had read, heard of, or collected everything having to do with Dale. I just Googled St. Dale, and it just went to the top of my must read list.

    Doug,
    I3

  • 20 years ago

    Farmerbell -- I love your name. :-)

    Virginia -- nice site! Very nice article on camellias, and I love the list of quotes. Here's some of my faves -- I knew the first one already, but not the others:

    I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself. - Sir Peter Smithers

    If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener. - J. C. Raulston

    Being happy is dirt under your fingernails, wearing old clothes, having a good idea get better the longer you work at it, starting a new bed, giving plants away, and listening to rain. - Geoffrey Charlesworth

    There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. - Janet Kilburn Phillips

  • 20 years ago

    Famerbell -- I love your name too! I thought your last name was Bell and you lived on a farm.

    Doug, If another author had written St. Dale, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. But, since I've read as many of Sharyn McCrumb's books as I could find (my favorites are her Appalachian Series), when I saw that one I had to read it. It is very different from her other novels, but still very good and I learned a lot about NASCAR. Junior Johnson even makes an appearance in the book. Read it. You'll like it.

    Amazin' -- glad you like my website. I'm having fun with it, and writing an article about a plant in flower each month is worth the effort. When I researched the Loropetalum one, I went out, looked at the tag still on one of the plants, and discovered the variety I'd planted near the front of a bed is supposed to grow to 10 feet tall. I'll have to move them this winter and replace them with something else that's a more manageable size. I may cheat and use the Camellia article again in November, but with a photo of a different variety. 'Cleopatra' is in bloom right now. I only have three, and 'Yuletide' will probably not flower at all this year since I chose a poor location when I planted it last fall. As for the quotes, I stretch myself a lot and do a lot of experimenting! One of my friends here in Memphis has a nursery named Gardens OyVey. She named the nursery that because she says she's made so many mistakes. Maybe my garden should be named OyVey too!

Sponsored