Software
Houzz Logo Print
rizzir

New batch of unknown plants - help me name them?

20 years ago

There's a lot nearby where they razed the house this summer, and all these lovely flowers grew in its place (very cool ending for the house, IMO!) Because whoever owns the lot doesn't seem to care about the beautiful flowers and keeps whacking them all down every few weeks, I went and rescued a good many of them, though I have no idea what many of them are...

At the link below you'll find my post on Name That Plant, which will link you to my photobucket album for the plants.

I have renamed the pics where I've already gotten a positive ID.

Pic #1 did not come from the vacant lot, nor did the shrub pictured next to the white bucket - that one actually came from the ETN Spring Swap, but since I still don't have an ID I haven't known where to plant it to make it happy. Winter's coming soon, so I want to get it in the ground ASAP so it can establish - please give it a name!

unknown October plants

Thanks! -Regina

Comments (12)

  • 20 years ago

    Well, these are just guesses, but...
    1) Does it emit an unpleasant odor when you crush a leaf? It looks kind of like an ailanthus seedling.
    6) If the leaves are lightly hairy, maybe an azalea. If not and they're kind of shiny, maybe Ilex glabra (Inkberry Holly).
    7) Looks like a very beat up but gamely trying Phlox drummondii.
    8) A young fleabane maybe. Check out various Erigerons.
    9) Suspiciously like a young cocklebur plant. Hope it's not.

    1. Maybe Malva sylvestris seedlings? If so, leaves should be hairy.
    2. Interesting looking plant. I don't think it's a coreopsis, although I could see how some of those leaflets could suggest C. lanceolata. Big succulent looking pinnate leaves in a rosette suggest something in the Apiaceae (Parsley/Carrot/Angelica/etc family).
    3. Perhaps a rudbeckia. Form and hairiness are right for R. hirta, but the purple petioles are not, unless stress might cause that coloration or something.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    I'm lousy with this kind of ID, but nope on #10 being Malva. I spend all summer every summer staring at Malva sylvestris seedlings, so I'm fairly familiar with em. ;-)

  • 20 years ago

    Marty, you're right on both the Phlox and the Ailanthus. About the latter, I didn't want to be the first one to say it... I was hoping it was something else. But it has a distinct stink when the leaves are crushed, so there's little doubt. Interestingly, when I went out to do the crushing just now, I noticed a tiny tent caterpillar had decided to call the thing home, and had destroyed the leading leaf in doing so. I think I'll leave him on there for awhile and let him give it a slow, agonizing death...

  • 20 years ago

    Okay, that #3 was on my brain as something I should recognize but couldn't put my finger on. The name I was searching the memory banks for finally popped into my head -- Sida spinosa. If that's the plant, it's an exotic annual from India. Look for a little hardened spiny like growth in the leaf axil.

    Are the leaves on #10 hairy or smooth? If hairy, any chance there could be hollyhock seedlings in that area? That one almost palmate leaf reminds me of young Alcea ficifolia.

    Marty

  • 20 years ago

    2) I will try to get a clearer picture of the leaf arrangement.

    3) I'm still at work, so I didn't get a chance to get out there yet and check for spines on #3. It came from a pinch that James the curator let me take from the UT Trial Gardens... I'm sure that whatever it was, it was lovely at the time I got it, or it wouldn't have caught my eye. I hope it's not this invasive weed!

    6) I will try to get a clearer picture of the leaf arrangement tonight.

    8) I have Daisy Fleabane in other spots and it doesn't look like this so I guess I'll just grow it out and see what it is.

    9) I have several of this one that I collected from the vacant lot. I will bring one to the swap so you can see it live and in person.

    1. I will feel the leaves of this one when I get home! It came from the vacant lot, too.

    2. This one sprung up on its own in one of my unamended beds... it might just be a weed but I wanted to find out.

    3. Can you tell the difference between Myosotis and Cynoglossum? I don't think either of my two specimens has seeds at this time. There's no basal leaves and I think it had a root. The stem is tough.

    4. I can get a better pic of this one now that it has recovered from being transplanted.

    5. I'm going to look at my Coreopsis tinctoria tonight to see if the basal leaves look like this. I think they do.

    6. I have several of these hairy things with the red petioles, so I will bring one with to the swap.

  • 20 years ago

    If #3 came from UT, it could be porterweed -- Stachytarpheta. that's how mine grows, and I got mine from them. If it is porterweed, it ain't hardy. It's a great butterfly plant.

  • 20 years ago

    Yes, it does look much like a Verbena, but has bigger leaves! I don't remember the "snake" part (the wand aboove the blossoms that I'm assuming someone thinks looks like a snake, hence the other name, "snakeweed") but it could be Porterweed. I haven't the foggiest what color it was when I pinched it. So I should bring this one in this winter just in case? OK. Good thing I have a lot of room upstairs because it's going to be quite a houseful.

    It appears #2 is going to treat me to some late-season blooms so we'll get to find out what it is!

    I have another specimen of #16 that has put up a bloom! It's not fully open yet, but it looks like it will be Rudbeckia. I can't find ANY reference on the web to a Rudbeckia with red veining in the leaves.

    #10 has smooth leaves.

  • 20 years ago

    I saw something on Name That Plant that looks like my #8, but a little older. It was IDed as Verbascum blattaria. Does anyone agree with this ID?

    I read on one website that seeds of this and common Mullein were stored for scientific purposes 120 years ago (in glass bottles full of sand that were corked and buried neck-down) and germinated with ease recently. Plants are amazing.

  • 20 years ago

    I took some new pics of the plants that remained unidentified, plus a couple of new ones.

    See them here

    Your help is greatly appreciated!

  • 20 years ago

    The first one is probably pineapple sage. If the leaves smell fruity when you bruise them, that's it. The one with it that isn't blooming is probably a different salvia. Both are likely to be borderline hardy here.

    The tiny red morning glory is, well, a tiny red morning glory. ;-)

    I *think* 14 is some kind of Rumex (dock, also sometimes called sorrel).

  • 20 years ago

    OK, #14 is Rumex crispus, aka Curly Dock or Yellow Dock. It has to go as I have no interest in this plant. However, in case someone else does, I will bring it to the MidTN Swap - the root apparently has holistic medicinal uses.

    I'm beginning to think unknown #13 is Hackelia, aka stickseed, which is a member of the Borage family, as are Forget-me-nots:

    See a drawing

  • 20 years ago

    #16 has put up a lovely Black Eyed Susan flower! Very pretty deep gold coloring to the petals. The red veining in the leaves remains.

Sponsored