0

How do I separate banana pups from the mother?

chateauclubcrest

This is my first year with a Musa Basjoo. I put it in the ground and have several pups.

One of the pups is getting pretty tall(18-24") and I'd like to separate it. I tried to do this earlier with a smaller pup and it didn't make it so I'm kind of gun shy.

Can I just slide a shovel around the pseudostem of the mother and just sort of slice the pup away? How deep should I go? Should I do it now or wait until I bring the mother in for the fall? I'm hoping to leave one of the pups in the ground and follow the instructions for overwintering and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice and tips!

• franktank232

I just seperated 3, but i'm not much help. One had no roots but was 2 foot tall. 1 had roots, but not that many. I'm just putting them in pots and seeing what happens. Maybe they'll come back, who knows.

• sunsetsammy

Check out the following link. Good pictures and advice for all your banana growing needs. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Separating pups

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

It's critical to get as close to the mother corm as possible. You can even include some of the mother corm in your cut. This might mean angling your spade so that the bottom of the blade is in toward the mother and away from the pup.

I posted this diagram a while back.
    {{gwi:408371}}