Software
Houzz Logo Print
peri__n_eal

Can we talk dirt???

20 years ago

I am contemplating a move and I am interested in precise soil conditions in various areas of middle Tennessee. I am interested in up to an hour or so from Nashville---but on the east and southeast side(say Monterrey/Cookeville over to Nashville and halfway back to Chattanooga towards Manchester).

My understanding is that much of the area is solid bedrock with only a foot or two of clay on top----which would make difficult growing conditions.

If you live near the triangle of Crossville/Nashville/Manchester I would greatly appreciate knowing exactly what your soil conditions are....or if you know which areas have better soil.

My East Tn. soil conditions are a foot of very dense, hard gray clay on a layer of large river rocks. When I visit my cousins in the piedmont of NC, they think their soil is bad.

To me it is just wonderful. It is ugly red clay with enough sand in it that you can get easily dig in July and in May it is like digging in butter---SO easy to dig. Not all clay is created equal.

Hope you get the idea what I am after. Thanks for your help.

p.s. The days start to get longer next week. Yeah----spring is on the way---well eventually anyway---Ha

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting