Software
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

Bummer

20 years ago

Hi everyone,

don't know if many remember me....we lived in TN for 17 months, moving back home last Dec. I talked to a former neighbor earlier in the week. I did about 20 yrs. of gardening in my short 17 months there. I knew it was possible that whoever bought the house wouldn't share my passion for gardening....but to hear they ripped everything out, well, is breaking my heart. I wondered all summer long how "my" yard was doing, how big my plants were getting....and I did hear from a gardening friend from down there earlier in the summer that the weeds were higher than the plants. Not a good sign, but being optimistic, I figured they hadn't figured out what to do yet. I had so many shrubs and trees, with a few perennials thrown in for variation...and all gone. The ripped out plants weren't shared with other neighbors, it seems they were just thrown out at the far back of the property into my brush pile. I was thinking, before we decided to move home, to apply for a backyard certification. I had many plants, most of them being native. Our propery was a acre, with many native trees on the land. I was going to write them, to ask for pictures, to see "my" plants grow up....sigh. I had gone to Reflection Riding there down by Chattanooga and had gotten many native plants. My favorite was the franklinia tree. He was growing so well, and did bloom for me. I know not every one shares my passion for gardening, but I'm just still in shock that they would rip it all out. I guess they left the tulip tree....out of hundreds of trees and shrubs......I guess at least they couldn't remove the 160 yards of top soil/compost I had hauled in and spent days spreading........

Terry

Comments (16)

  • 20 years ago

    I wish people that dumb were banned from owning a yard. They should be stuck in an apartment and the land donated to someone that would take care of it. I have a friend like that. I have even gone over to his house and done yard work myself for free just in hopes that it would give him encouragement to keep the yard up. I don't think he ever did anything after I left. :-(

  • 20 years ago

    Ditto!

  • 20 years ago

    Ya know what? I've been being really optimistic thruout this, even thinking the neighbor was just "exaggerating"....but nope. I made a call just now to the people who lived right next door. Yep, it's all gone. They just threw the plants out back. All of them. They couldn't pull the weeds away from the trees or shrubs. They had to pull it all out. I asked Kevin if any of the plants were offered to him. Nope. Middle of last week, I found some TN house papers I didn't realize I had. 1 for the installation of the micro, a couple for the garage doors and openers, so being nice, I figured I'd send them out to them. I enclosed a note....saying I hope they're enjoying the house, but mostly I hope they're enjoying the yard and it's bringing them as much pleasure as it did for us. It was in that note, that I really wanted to ask for pictures, but didn't....wonder what they think now? It just makes me sick to think about it.....

    Terry

    P.S. Even though I checked the mark for the follow ups to be sent to me, I've not received any. So, if it takes me awhile to respond, that's why...plus I'm just having myself a very good cry........

  • 20 years ago

    I am so sorry to hear this, as I cannot imagine how horrible it must feel. My mom had to move in to a mobile home we put on our property. She said leaving her house was no problem at all, but she is depressed over leaving her yard. Please know that others do sympathize.

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Terry:
    I know exactly what you mean. I know that I will not be living in this house forever and like you, we've put so much EFFORT and LOVE into our garden and landscaping (8-yrs worth so far). I'm into unusual-type plants, so have a lot of specimens that others oh-and-ah over when they visit me.

    Everytime I plant another perennial, I think "hmmmmm...maybe I'll be taking this one with me when I move!".

    But you DID GOOD! I love the sweet "I hope [you're] enjoying the yard and it's bringing [you) as much pleasure as it did for us" message. Snicker, snicker....

    Doesn't take away the disappointment in what they've stupidly done--at least they could have offered everything to the neighbors :-(--but you kinda stuck it to 'em! LOL

    Claudia

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around this. I feel like someone died. Moving to TN from the home I've always known was hard...husbands company up and moved to Chattanooga, then went into bankruptsy after about a year being there....because we'd spent 21 years at the house we had built when we'd been married for 1 yr. I need to go over to my other old house and just give the lady a hug. She's kept most, removed some because she didn't know it wasn't a weed. For the most part, all that landscaping is still there. But all that I did down there in TN.....it's gone? How do I get my brain to understand it? Nice Christams present, huh?

    Terry

  • 20 years ago

    Sounds about like the home we left in California. When we
    went back there my wife cried. They had wiped out twenty
    years of our life.
    Norm

  • 20 years ago

    Norm, I'm so sorry! I'm one of those that wants to "see" also. I've got a really good picture in my head, because it was a blank slate when we moved in. It was new construction, in an area that had been timber. The builder cleared for the house and left native trees, but everything else......I did it. I left my mark. Now it's all gone. So although I know what it looks like in my head, I want to "see" it for myself. But I can't be held responsible for my actions when or if I do see it. :)

    It's 1 thing to do something to the house. Change out a storm door, or paint or reside in a different color. But to wipe all the landscaping away.....

    If anyone happens to live in Hamilton County and would like to go take a pic for me.....:)

    Terry

  • 20 years ago

    Terry, what a horrible thing. I empathise with you. At our old house we had planted a small orchard. The year before we moved we harvested plums, pears, peaches and a few cherries. Not long after they bought the house the new owners cut down every fruit tree and put in a grass lawn and basketball goals.

  • 20 years ago

    What is it with people and grass? That was a big argument I had with the builder....he had a few convenents, none on grass...so I wasn't haning any grass. Every day he'd stop by and ask me when I was planting grass....so finally I threw some seed out. Very little, but enough to get him off my back.

    decolady01, I'm sorry they ripped out all your fruit trees! I'm hungry thinking about all the wonderful FRESH fruit!

    Sometimes I wonder what the PO's of this house think. I ripped out the spirea, the barberries, the burning bush, the lovely purple loosestrife....and I'm working on getting rid of all the privots. Could they have planted anything more invasive than the majority of what was here? It was all just mish mashed together, no real thought put in....now it has thought and purpose.

    Anybody want to go sledding with us tomorrow?? Getting lots and lots of snow...and brrrr...it's 21 right now! You guys probably think I'm crazy to move back here...:)

    Terry

  • 20 years ago

    Terry,
    I'm sorry you had to find out before Christmas. And your letter to them ...the timing is priceless but the irony will escape them.
    My beloved roses in New Orleans were replaced by a huge palm tree that will crack the foundation of the house in a few more years- at least we don't hold the note.
    Mass market plantings are at fault for this; for folks who think Liriope should be planted and surrounded by a foot of bare mulch---well, isn't that what it looks like at the bank?---- can't begin to understand the joy of plants as a hobby.
    Much less the taste of fresh fruit and veggies...
    The only thing positive I can think of is the beauty of a lot of the soils in Illinois- no wonder why my Grandmother in Clay County grew such wonderful tasting tomatoes.
    Ann

  • 20 years ago

    Yes Ann, I'm afraid the irony will be lost on them. They couldn't find another spot to plant a palm tree? I can't say I'm glad people know what I'm going thru, because I wish I was the only one. One of the things I struggled with was the soil down there. I got some wonderful rocks to use as edging, but I wasn't used to taking a couple hours to plant a shrub :)
    And yea, the tomatoes do taste good!

    Terry

  • 20 years ago

    Terry, your story is my worst nightmare. After all the work I put into my yard this past year, I will DIE if they rip it out. My goal is to educate the buyers about what is in their new yard, and hopefully to rent our basement apartment until May so I can be there to teach them while it's growing in.

    Fingers crossed,

    Regina

  • 20 years ago

    Wouldn't it be great if all the plant lover home buyers could find the plant lover sellers? Many people visit their old homes. I remember we visited our first home several times after we left. When we bought our present home we told the seller how much we appreciated the beautiful landscape and let them know it would continue to be loved and cared for.

  • 20 years ago

    Regina, I hope the people who buy your home love and appreciate all that you've done it. I feel like a part of me did die. It sounds "so dramatic" to say, but it just feels like that. I left them all the information needed to id plants, to get help on the care...I know now it fell on deaf ears. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you also!

    MNature....it would be great if plant lovers bought from plant lover sellers. I just really don't get why someone would buy a house with all the landscaping, then just rip it all out.

    Terry

  • 20 years ago

    I can also understand what you're feeling. It's happened to me too. Isn't it just the worst feeling!

    There was an article in last week's newspaper about the new owners of the home of one of the founders of our local Hosta Society. He and his wife had downsized and moved most of his prized plants to his new garden, but he had left many. Toward the end of the article was their statement that they'd heard the garden was so beautiful it had been on garden tours (it had) and they were looking forward to spring to enjoy it. Now that's the kind of people every gardener would hope buys their home if and when they sell.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz