Software
Houzz Logo Print
tortoisekeeper

I am in Tennessee!

20 years ago

Hi,

I just moved to Cookeville from Louisiana. I am very confused. I have a Cookeville address but I live in White County. I have a Sparta phone number. Not sure where I live LOL. Anyway I look forward to meeting all the TN members and can't wait for the next swap. I had to leave all of my outside plants behind. The house I live in has places for gardens but no plants. Any suggestions on what I can plant and when?

Thanks

Betty

Comments (11)

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome to Tennessee, Betty. If you come to the Knoxville Spring Plant Swap, I bet you can make a big dent in that vacant yard. It seems like most of us come to those swaps to give stuff away more than to get anything. I always come back with some really neat stuff, but I try VERY hard to come back with less quantity than I take. I think the net takers are sought after more than the givers. LOL.

    I've even heard that a few people show up at the West Tennessee Swap. Of course it's nothing compared to the Grand Knoxville Swap ;-)

    Anyway, welcome aboard the Tennessee Gardening Forum as well as to this area.

  • 20 years ago

    Betty, you are in the perfect location to take advantage of BOTH the Knoxville and mid-TN spring swaps. Lucky you! Welcome to the state!

  • 20 years ago

    The other day I found a nursery in your area you might want check out. I got their catalog, and it looks interesting. Hidden Springs Nursery in Cookeville specializes in fruit and nut trees and shrubs. They have an interesting and pretty impressive selection. I plan on mail ordering all I can afford sometime soon.

  • 20 years ago

    Plants to look for now and enjoy soon are Hellebores. I don't think I ever saw them in Louisiana (NOLA area) and up here they do so very well. And keep their leaves through winter and are just plain charming.
    Witch Hazels and Lonicera fragrantissima will also give winter bloom (rather strange) and great winter scent with the latter.
    Sorry about the weather, but it does mean that most of the weeds grow a whole lot slower.
    Ann, ne of Knoxville

  • 20 years ago

    Thanks for all the replies! Does anyone have any Hellebores or Lonicera fragrantissima for postage?

    Betty

  • 20 years ago

    L. fragrantissima is a plant you can use to meet neighbors. You won't notice it just yet, but sometime in winter, you'll see small white blooms along the whole length of the nude stems of this large plant that is easily ignored the rest of the year. Mature plants send out small new plants- most of which are controlled by mowing down.
    I missed my chance last year, but there's one on Millertown Pike in east Knoxville and I would guess that the owner would be willing to share...this winter for sure.

  • 20 years ago

    Welcome to Cookeville. I live in Cookeville south of I-40. It is kinda confusing with the addresses & utilities here. If you live outside the city limits of Cookeville, you will probably have a few different utility companies. Maybe we can get together after the holidays. There are a couple other gardenweb gardeners in the Cookeville area. We all should get together. Wishing you a Merry Christmas in your new home.

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Betty,

    Welcome to the area ! There are actually two plant swaps in East TN, the Knoxville swap and the East TN Plant swap which is going to be held up closer to the mountains. By attending both you'll get a wide variety of plants and helpful tips I'm sure, and you'll probably meet and see some of the same people at both. We're working on a website right now so if you'll email me I'll send you all the information. Oh and the West TN plant swap is awesome, I will be there this spring, and it's well worth the drive.

    Cheryl

  • 20 years ago

    I'm happy to hear about the plant swaps- I will be moving to East TN next fall (Dandridge) and thought all the growers etc were in the center of the state. I am also looking for some wholesale florists in the area, if anyone knows of any.
    Thanks
    Susan

  • 20 years ago

    I just moved here myself, last summer, and am getting ready to put in a new garden. Where can I get details on the Knox swap? Can I come to buy or recieve even if I don't have stuff to sell or give yet?

  • 20 years ago

    I hope the link below works. If not, go to http://www.easttnplantswap.com and choose the signup for mailing list tab.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Knox Plant Swap Mailing List Signup

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting