Software
Houzz Logo Print
wild_rose_gw

It's a Small World

19 years ago

I haven't posted anything in such a long time and peeked in to see who of my old Tennessee Gardening friends are still around and don't see many. I was so sorry to miss another swap at Jan's but that was unavoidable. I missed sharing plants so much, but missed even more sharing and catching up with long-distance friendships made on this forum.

This past spring as my husband's disease progressed and he declined I found it necessary to return to work. Over the summer as he got worse and worse being with him was my first priority and my garden just toasted and roasted. It could be called a true test of plant hardiness - only the toughest will survive and return to delight me this coming spring. And, who knows, I may actually need to swap for something instead of just sharing my excess, and may be able to try some of those plants I've only wished I had room for.

One of the first things I learned on the job at the Pink Palace Museum was that if I ever had phone system problems to call Leigh downstairs. She was the expert. I eventually did need Leigh's telephone help and we learned each of us shared the same gardening bug. Yesterday I had brought in some duplicate garden catalogs to share and some to just look at and dream of next year's garden, I thought of Leigh. So, while flipping the pages of the Bluestone Catalog together I told her that I had learned of that company through GardenWeb, and was she familiar with it? She looked at me and exclaimed, "You're Wild_Rose!!!!" She's "LeighMac". Some of you other oldtimers to this forum will remember her name.

It is indeed a small world to gardeners.

Hugs,

Virginia

Comments (8)

  • 19 years ago

    Virginia!!!!!!!! It is so good to hear from you. I was thinking about you the other day.

    I'm sorry about your husband's health.

    Maybe you and Leigh can come to the spring swap. It is the Sat. before Memorial weekend...like always.

    Keep in touch...and have a blessed Christmas.

    Jan

  • 19 years ago

    Hi Jan!!! I'm trying to talk Leigh into coming to the spring swap, but she has some good reasons not to come. Hopefully she will.

    My husband, Tom, fought hard, but died the week before Thanksgiving. I'm just now feeling well enough to start trying to go on with the next part of my life. This new job has been a real blessing. There are some wonderful women (guys too) working there, and I'm starting to build some friendships. Also one of my high-school buddies and I have started to catch up on too many lost years.

    I do hope to see you in May!

  • 19 years ago

    Virginia,
    I am sorry to hear about Tom. I hope you are doing well and taking care of yourself.
    I miss you....
    Sissy

  • 19 years ago

    Virginia, I know this is a hard time of year for you right now...thanks for sharing with us about your loss.

    And Sissy!!!good to hear from you, too...how's the world treating you?

    Both of you have a blessed Christmas.

    Jan

  • 19 years ago

    Virginia, I'm so sorry to hear about Tom. It's been a rough year, hasn't it? I haven't posted in just about forever it seems, and only check in once in awhile. My mom had a massive stroke in June and another smaller one in early December, so my life changed dramatically. As for my garden this past season... what garden? Something had to give in my life, and it was the garden.

    Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season, and know I'm thinking about you all and wishing you all the best.

    Marty

  • 19 years ago

    Wild Rose,
    Welcome back to the forum. As I said to you, I always looked for advice and experience here and you have been one who provided that. I am so glad to have met you in person and look forward to many long and enthusiastic discussions about plants and gardening techniques. One of these days, I expect and hope to meet so many of the folks from this forum. I truly have yet to meet a gardener in person who wasn't kind, generous, and willing to share their ideas (and their plants!) I am blessed, humbled and delighted every time. Merry Christmas and happy fallow beds, which bring to all of us the promise of Life in the new year.

  • 19 years ago

    Old friends! Like you all, I rarely pop on here anymore, but what a joy to hear your ~voices !!

    Virginia, dearheart. I am so sorry to hear about Tom. True to your moniker, I see from your post that you're growing through it and starting a new day with your face to the sun. Lots of hugs from this friend.

    Marty, lots of hugs and well wishes to your Mom. I so enjoyed talking to her that last time she came to the swap.

    Take care All,
    Renee

  • 19 years ago

    Dang ya'll! As great as it is to see everyone popping back up it's so awful to hear of your suffering.

    Virginia & Marty you have the thoughts and prayers from Lavonne and I. Please try to make the spring swap, both of you. I know it would make you feel better. We are so sad to hear about Tom. Marty let us know if we can do anything to help. You guys are never out of our minds or our hearts.

    Leigh and Sissy it's good to see you guys again too. Leigh you Virginia and Sissy need to come to the MTPS together and bring along some new folks with you.

    Dr. Renee you need to call me or come by the house young lady!!! :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting