Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allmom

great public gardens

allmom
16 years ago

I'm going to be traveling around central New York this summer and would love to see some great gardens, large or small. I might even take a tour of private gardens if there are any. Any recommendations?

Comments (12)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I'd visit the Root Glen. It's on Hamilton College's campus in Clinton, NY. There is also Sonnenburg Gardens in Canandaigua. I haven't been there is years though. Here's their website:
    http://www.sonnenberg.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Root Glen

• cbs_z5_ny
    16 years ago

Cornell Plantations, on the Cornell campus in Ithaca.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Plantations

• party_music50
    16 years ago

There is a small but beautiful garden area at Constableville Hall, in Constableville: off rt. 26N, about 1/2 hr north of Rome. It's where "Twas' the Night Before Christmas" was written. :) I think that the garden area is grown and tended by a volunteer group. I've been there in mid June and it was lovely then. There is a nice large 'park like' setting with ponds -- it would be nice for a relaxing stop or picnic lunch.

I'd love to know of other nice gardens too. :)

• misskimmie
    16 years ago

By all means visit Root Glen. I'm 10- minutes from there. There is a peony garden, several flower beds and trails though areas filled with native plants, I'll be happy to be your tour guide there, I visit often. You are also invited to visit my garden - I have a quite a variety. There is a garden in Coopestown - Brookwood Garden, But the website seems to be down. I did a Television segment on it. It's a old historic garden. If you're interested, I will make a call and get you the info. I want to go back there again soon.

- kim

• party_music50
    16 years ago

misskimmie: I checked the Root Glen website and they make it look like you need to call ahead and make an appointment to visit. Is that correct? I'd like to see it and had no idea it even existed. I'd visit your garden too! I know you're into natives -- do you grow orange Canada lily (Lilium canadensis) by any chance??? I've been looking for some for years!

• sewobsessed
    16 years ago

party,
    no, you don't need to make any kind of appointment - it is always open to the public.
    I live 2 minutes away and have taken prom pics for every child there, and there are lots and lots of wedding pics taken there too. It's pretty cool when a couple gets married at the chapel and then takes a horse-drawn wagon to the glen for photos.
    It is an awesome and beautiful sight almost any time of the year.

And, if anyone is interested, the Clinton Garden Club will be holding its Plants Plus sale on Saturday, May 10th on the Village Green.
    The sale will be from 10 am until 1 pm, rain or shine.

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Party, Sorry wish I had Canada Lily. I have a nice assortment of natives but I don 't have any orchids (lady slipper) and other rarer things. You are welcome to visit my garden, it's in New York Mills.

Allmom, There is also a small garden (Parker Scripture Garden) at the Oneida County Cooperative extension Building near the Oneida County airport in Oriskany. That's not too far either - lots of daylily and roses. And small demo beds mostly grouping of herbs, oh a small fairy garden and a small water garden. There are trails in the woods behind the Garden. I remember twin leaf, Celandine Poppy and maybe Canada Lily.

kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Parker Scripture Gardens

• Aurore
    15 years ago

I was at Brookwood yesterday. It's not at its best right now. Maybe later when more things are out in bloom. It is in need of some work.

• lilylouise
    15 years ago

try Ellwanger Garden in Rochester. Its open during the lilac festival and by appointment. Go to www.landmarksociety.org for more info. lots of roses, peonies and perennials.
    There's also a beautiful historic garden at George Eastman House-www.eastman.org for times etc.
    lily

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

Party, What kind of plants at the sale in Clinton ?

• party_music50
    15 years ago

misskimmie: I don't know what plants they're selling. sewobsessed posted about it, so maybe they know.

• allmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all, those are just the things I was looking for!