Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathmcd7

Fluffy bedding?

kathmcd7
14 years ago

Last summer I put water bottles in my outside bins to keep the temperature cooler, and I noticed that some worms were always under the bottles. I moved some pots yesterday and there were worms right under them, too. I've always kept the bedding fluffy in the bins, and now I wonder if they actually would like having something heavy laying on the bedding. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Kath

Comments (2)

• kathmcd7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I'll be doing an experiment. One bin will have the loose bedding and the second will have water bottles laid on the bedding. I'll see which worm bin produces the vermicompost faster and which one reproduces quicker. I'll let you know if there's any noticable difference.

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Worms like to congragate under things. I used to gather fishing worms by looking under things like rocks, plywood, or anything else lying flat on the ground. I now use about 6 layers of burlap over my outdoor bin and the worms are always huddled up when I peel back the layers. I always fluff the bin when I feed! Good luck with the experiment and keep us posted.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus