Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjnoah_gw

Cucumber trellis

mjnoah
14 years ago

What is an easy, inexpensive trellis to make for cucumbers? I don't know if I can find cattle fencing. I was thinking of an A-frame of some sort. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• diclemeg
    14 years ago

what i did was use the metal electrical conduit piping from the Home Depot....and also bought nylon mesh netting online. i couldnt find cattle fencing here either, but id have used that if i could.

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

I have recycled old metal futon frames or bed ends, they have the wrought iron look to them. I stick a couple of 2X2 poles in the ground. tie the raild to them and it looks nice.
    Works for tomatoes too.

• sparks5478
    14 years ago

I built freestanding trellises out of PVC (1.5" for the base and vertical supports, 1" for the cross bars) and wire fencing that fit over my self-watering containers. They provided great support for cukes and winter squash and have held up well for two seasons so far. They're weighted at the bottom with sand and the wire is attached with zip ties. I'm building larger ones this year to fit over some of my raised boxes.

• bleedenver
    14 years ago

I used 1/2" conduit and nylon netting from home depot for a cheap lightweight trellis for beans and cucumbers. In the picture below, you can also see a heavier duty trellis made from 1/2" conduit and cattle panel in the background for tomatoes.

• robynscottdesigns
    13 years ago

I don't have a picture but have seen the base of a crib used as a trellis. It's basically just a wire frame.

• marlaw
    13 years ago

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen someone use upside-down tomato towers as a cucumber trellis. They tied the legs (now the top) together with some twine and pinned the whole thing to the ground for stability using the big u-shaped pins (that are usually used to anchor landscape fabric). Seems like a good idea, but not sure if they are big enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: DigginFood Trellis Roundup

• tracydr
    13 years ago

One tomato tower right side up and zip-tie another upside down on top.

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I bought wire tomato houses from HD . It is 2 sizes 54 inches and 66 inches. I used for Tomatoes, Cucumber and Cantaloupe. I have enough land but these wire houses give me full control and keep the fruit clean. We had abundance of Crops. The only thing with cantaloupe you have to provide some support because when it grows it gets heavy. I used old pots and built support with little net and all worked very good. I try to plant my cantaloupe close to the fence. The Fence helps too.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus