Software
Houzz Logo Print
snowchild_gw

Privacy Vines Atop 9-Foot Fence?

17 years ago

I live in Los Angeles. Our backyard faces a run down parking lot and a big street.

Over the 9 ft fence, we can see billboards and gas station signs.

What can we plant on the other side of our property, for a screen?

- Low Maintenance

- 15 - 20 feet tall (utility company will hack off excess growth every few years)

- grows vertically, not too wide

- Will not shorten the life of wood fence (good air circulation?)

- Sound muffling will be a great bonus

- Crime deterrent is another bonus (break-ins, graffiti)

- Can be sparse at the bottom


So far we thought of:

- Clumping Bamboo (too expensive?)

- Cape Honeysuckle? (nursery says I need to hire a gardener 4 x year or it gets too wide)

- Bougainvillea (I'm ambivalent - thorns are nasty; they won't climb and will need good support)

If you have ideas - please let me know!

The fence is 60 feet long.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Backyard Photo