Software
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Johnny Jump Ups

19 years ago

Need advise on plantings seeds for Johnny Jump Ups received in Seed Exchange. Can I plant them now, will they come up next Spring or do I Winter Sow or plant in ground in the spring?

Thanks for any help!

Peggy

Comments (7)

  • 19 years ago

    Hi !

    So many energy for a pansy, it's so pityful ;o) What about trying VIOLET instead ? So much better and with such a marvellous perfume ;oP
    Periannual's seeds need cold for a good germination, I'm not sure spring is a good option.

    Best regards :-)
    Thierry.

  • 19 years ago

    What can I say....free seeds :) Had message from someone who grows them and they suggested I go ahead and plant them so that is what I will do tomorrow!

    Thank you for responding!
    Peggy

  • 19 years ago

    Interesting. Here Johhy-jump-ups are a wild perrenial viola. Small blue flowers and reseed readily

  • 19 years ago

    We lack your rainfall, I have plant in shade and provide a lot of water to get them to grow.

    I had wild violets at our home in Waxahachie; normal rainfall there is more than we receive here on the western edge of Central Texas. For the last 18 months or so even Waxahachie has been suffering a drought. Forty-one years ago I had violets growing in a flowerbed at our first house when we married but we had rain then.

    Peggy

  • 19 years ago

    FWIW I noticed that Johnny-Jump-Ups seem to fare better in spring and fall/winter in my climate - the heat is too much for them during the summer.

  • 19 years ago

    Question about planting Johnny Jump Up seeds...

    I'm using them this year as a fill in, in my back flower bed, which gets too much shade for full-sun plants. Weather here in N. Tx. gets REALLY hot during the summer, so we'll be applying shredded wood mulch to this bed.

    What I need to know is if I sow the seeds, can I cover them with the mulch and have them grow up thru the mulch? I've grown from seed before, with better than good results, but they've never had to come up thru the mulch. If they're too fragile to break thru the mulch, I can easily plant them in small container, and plug 'em in later.

    Help?

    Kimbertenn

  • 19 years ago

    I don't think they will come through coarse mulch. Your last statement would be the surefire way to grow them there.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner