Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat_5b_sewis

Are you ready for the deep freeze??

Well, it looks like we're finally getting our winter. We've got several inches of snow on the ground and it's been pretty cold. But now it's going to get even colder! In SE Wisconsin, we're going to get below zero for the 1st time this winter. I am not looking forward to that. Luckily, there's enough snow here covering the plants to keep them safe. Looks like the below zero weather will hit us here on Sunday night. It looks like we'll have a few nights of below zero. Well, I've got a full tank of gas and plenty of food in the house. If I only didn't have to go out to work, I'd be fine. LOL!

Hope you're all staying warm and safe!

Kat

Comments (10)

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

I'm in Madison. Our cold weather has arrived. It was 3 this morning (wind chill -6), but one morning earlier in the week it was 1. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 6. I'm grateful for the dense blanket of snow we have - good protection for bulbs and perennials in the garden.

I've got lots of seeds planted in pots indoors, some have germinated and are enjoying their sheltered childhood under grow-lights. Instead of looking out the window I tend my little baby garden and envision the plants when they're grown up.

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

Is currently -1.7 out. That is not including the wind chill. Brrrr!!! Welcome to Winter, and which corner is Spring around, want to find it instead. LOL

Chaz wi what kind of seedlings are up? Haven't started any indoors yet myself. Maybe should, it would seem more like Spring than. The sunny view yesterday looking out the window sure was decieving. Depending on which Ground Hog, you believe, we still may have another six weeks of winter. :)

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chaz, I don't start any plants inside, but I have my regular house plants that make me happy during the cold months. When my African violets blooms, that's a site to see in winter.
    Right now at almost 2am it's minus 9 with a wind chill of minus 27. I just got home from work a little while ago, and it is nasty out there with the cold! The weather channel says the wind chill for Sunday nite could get down to minus 30. I am going to stay in all day.
    My niece lives in North Pole Alaska, a suburb of Fairbanks, and she's having warmer weather than we are!

Kat

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Right now it's -14 w/o wind chill. It's been all I can do the last couple of days just to take the dog out for his daily routine. Even he doesn't want to stay out long...it's run, sniff-sniff, poo, run back as fast as you can! My houseplants will have to keep me garden-busy for now. DH(a Finn) informed me that we're colder than Helsinki right now. At least it's sunny out instead of being dark and dreary. Come on, Spring!

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

Its currently minus 7 w/o wind chill. Tomorrow is to be more of the same. Agree with noinwi, rather have the sun shining than it being dark and dreary.
    Guess we have to try and look on the bright side. Although its VERY COLD outside,(BBBBRRR) we're now one day closer to spring. :)

• sandyhill
    17 years ago

-26c in Kenosha last night.

Guess we'll find out what's cold hardy...

• elvis
    17 years ago

Ahhh. A balmy -26 this a.m. w/o windchill. Thank goodness we finally built a (attached) garage. It was a toasty +25 out there this a.m.

Unfortunately, we're a little light in the snow cover department this year...we will indeed find out what is hardy. So much for zone pushing this year, LOL.

Chaz, what do you have coming up? I haven't started yet, it's been too cold to venture up the hill to the barn and retrieve my flats!

• chaz_wi
    17 years ago

What have sprouted so far:

- celery
    - sweet Williams
    - dianthus
    - pansies
    - delphiniums
    - rudbeckia
    - amaranthus
    - impatiens
    - sweet marjoram
    - sedum

• SEWigardnut
    17 years ago

Sandyhill, I'm in Kenosha too. I don't know what the temp is but it is really cold. School was cancelled 2 days in a row. The kids are enjoying it untill I told them they now have to go to school until June 13. We live in Wisconsin for Gods sake and we only have 1 snow day.. which we used on Dec.1 when we got 17 inches of snow...go figure.

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

By the sounds of it, this cold weather is to last yet another week. Is ten above out now. Better than minus 10:) Gives us all time to do some more sowing indoors. Started a few myself this last week. Only did a few dahlias and delphiniums. To early for any to be up yet, but am still enjoying the Christmas cactus and zygo cactus that are in bloom. They add a little color to this bitter cold we're all having.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES