Software
Houzz Logo Print
gigarodar5

Need help with brick fireplace wall

13 years ago
I have a 60s style home and I need some help with the fireplace in what was the family room. It has a raised hearth, the mantel is brick and the fireplace extends from wall to wall. The fireplace wall seems to overtake the room. I don't really have a set design style so I am open to all options that will work with a low budget. I don't want to tear out the fireplace as I may want to install a gas insert later. This room is going to be my reading room - no TV in this room. I have an oak bookcase on the opposite wall so I just need some ideas on making this room comfortable. Thanks.

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    To start, You could paint the wall above the fireplace an accent color that's in the brick. A nice tan color would be nice. Add a blind to the window. A plant in each corner of the fireplace or one plant and a basket of firewood. Although the mnantle is brick, I think wood around it would make it stand out more and add some contrast , then paint the wood white. You could place a grouping of nice pictures above the brick also. An abstract picture or some other picture that you like. Can you post a photo showing more of the room?
  • 13 years ago
    Right now it looks like the dark cabinet is overtaking the FP and the window. Is there a wall it will fit on without butting up to the FP or is this not staying in the room? You mentioned an oak bookcase opposite - would be good to have pictures of that part of the room. Often people perceive a problem they want advice for, but in reality there is something else that should be addressed first. Do you like the brick as is? If so, clean it well to see what the actual colors in it are. I would tend toward the grey I think I see for the walls. Keep it light if this is a small room and because your floors are light. You could darken them though if you want. If you don't care for the brick, you could paint it and the wall above to match and fade it out some. Then the other walls can be done in another color. This one can be the focal wall, with a more intense color, or you can minimize it by painting it and the adjacent walls alike and paint the focal/accent color on the wall opposite. For a reading room, you might consider having a custom bookcase done that somewhat matches the window and would sit on the hearth right under it. Then you could put a reading chair and floor lamp in that corner where the big piece is for a reading nook. Opposite the FP might be a spot for two more chairs flanking the oak bookcase, or is it a built-in? Really need to see that side to help with balancing the FP. You might have room for a sofa or chaise, but we need more pics to determine that.
  • 13 years ago
    The plaement of the oak cabinet takes away from the fireplace. I'd get the chiminey checked, since it appears that there is smoke staines on the front. Clean the brick, too. You have to have a hearth with a wood burning fireplace, but I don't think you do with gas. Double check that. So when you convert, you could get rid of all of the built out brick and have a clean line fireplace.
    Playing with textures · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I actually like the brick! As Anita mentions above, a willow basket with logs would soften the lines a little and break up the expanse. The colour of the floor, to me, is a little at odds with the brick but that may not be the case if you manage to clean up the brick. If not, a rattan runner might work if placed up against the brick but make sure it's not going to be a fire hazard!

    Lots of big pillar candles or a big glass vase full of flowers with lots of foliage would look great - even a collection of books on the brick away from the fire? Also if you can pull back the other furniture away from the fireplace, it might show off the brick mantel better.

    Hints of blue (or blue-grey) and gold in this room would accentuate the colour of the brick and might help tie it in with the rest of the room.
  • 13 years ago
    paint it all white...a clean bright white. the texture of the brick will add interest. i've seen it done and it looks great, especially with a wood floor and your floor looks amazing.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi all,

    Thank you so much for your comments. I am attaching two more photos of this fireplace room with the wall unit on one side and the great room on the other side. The fireplace room is approx 12X12 with a door next to the wall unit leading to the garage.

    I think you may be right in saying that the wall unit is overpowering the fireplace. The wall unit is in three parts so all or parts of it can be moved to another room. One side of the wall unit stores a cd player, the middle is open with just a connecting bar on top. The desk is an old computer desk that happens to fit in the opening. The end piece next to the fireplace is the bookcase unit that has shelves.

    In the room, on the opposite wall is an 8-foot wide sliding glass door that use to lead to the outside patio. This patio has now been made into a 18X20 playroom and the sliding glass door will some day be removed. I would like to make this opening smaller and put in French doors but that's another project.

    One question I have is what product can I use to really clean the soot from the brick? I have tried unsuccessfully to clean it using products like Formula 409 etc.

    All comments truly appreciated. I want to make this room livable and enjoyable.
  • 13 years ago
    To clean your brick, try using a foaming bathroom cleaner and a nylon brush. I saw that on HGTV, and it works!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Float out brick over a wire mesh, then install stone tile, porcelains something you can keep clean. Check your flue as its not working also. Smoke should go up. Keep fires small and don't use paper, just pinion or hard wood.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Float out brick over a wire mesh, then install stone tile, porcelains something you can keep clean. Check your flue as its not working also. Smoke should go up. Keep fires small and don't use paper, just pinion or hard wood.
  • 10 years ago

    Move down your bookcase away from the fireplace as much as possible. Do you need the desk section? Looks like you could remove and have 2 separate cases. agree with a bit of color on walls and face brick mantel with a wider piece of distressed wood..Can fish tank fit in the one bookcase?

  • 10 years ago

    Post is from 2012 jdgail, check out the date before commenting :)