Software
Houzz Logo Print
phillyvictorian

Identify Cast Iron Sink

18 years ago

My 1907 house came with this cast iron sink. It's 60 inches wide, 22 inches deep and 18 inches tall. I'm pretty sure it's not original but I think it's pretty old. Can anyone give me more info? Is it worth anything?

Comments (8)

  • 18 years ago

    I grew up in a 1906 house that had a sink pretty much just like that.....I suspect it was original.
    If It were mine, I would have it refinished and find a place to use it.
    Those big old sinks are wonderful prep sinks...lots of room for washing a load of veggies and drain boards for draining.
    And we really don't wash dishes any more...so why not?
    Linda C

  • 18 years ago

    My granny had one like that. It was installed in the 30s. Clean it with baking soda.

  • 18 years ago

    I think the odds are very high that it's the original kitchen sink. It's hard to tell the condition because of how grimy it is - what's the bottom of the sink look like? I'd keep it with your house - it's part of your house. If nothing else, use it in the basement. I wish I had our original 1918 sink!

  • 18 years ago

    I think its an original kitchen sink for the house. Did the orignal house have plumbing or was that added later? If this was a house in town, it probably had "running water", but if it was in a rural setting, it would not have had running water until the property was electrified.

    Most rural houses built in southern Illinois in 1900 did not have plumbling. The usual arrangement was a simple sink with a pitcher pump connected to a cistern and a drain to carry the soiled water away from the house. Some houses did not have a pump, just a bucket of water on a counter top. Sinks inside the hosue with holes for faucets appeared after electric distribution lines were brought to farms. The REA brought lines to farms in southern IL after WW2 in 1947. They were scheduled to do this sooner but the war interrupted. All copper was seized as a strategic material and was not released until after the war. In 1943, copper was removed from pennies and were made from steel.

  • 18 years ago

    Many old house folks would love to have that sink. I'd check around at some salvage shops to see what the local market will pay for something like that.
    Whatever you do with it don't dump it. If you just want to be rid of it put it out to the curb a few days before trash day with a big free sign. I promise you it will not be there long!
    I have one similar to it in use at our cottage and love it. I have another one out in the barn that I got from a friend of ours from a barn clean out I did for him. One day I'm hoping to connect the second one in a greenhouse or potting shed.

  • 8 years ago

    I realize this is super old but for anyone brought here by search, like I was: Many cast iron sinks will have the manufacture date stamped into the underside. Take a look! It can give you the name of the manufacturer, too.

  • 8 years ago

    If this is a cast iron sink, look on the bottom side for possible I.D. Makers of cast iron sinks such as Kohler may have cast their name and model number on the bottom side of the bowl.

Sponsored
More Discussions