Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dining_delight

Forgotten Table Setting

15 years ago

I was going through some of my pics from before Christmas and realized I had forgotten to post this tablescape. It was a dinner DH prepared for my parents and me in early Nov. (I got to "play" setting the table while he cooked!) He made a delicious steak and crab meal with baked potatoes, carrots, asparagus and Ceasar salad finishing up with a slice of choc cake for dessert (he got that out of the freezer from one I had made). It was a real treat to be a "guest" in my own home in front of a cozy fire!

I had to create a smaller centerpiece on the round table so used my Trio of glass vases with inserts. I put faux burgundy roses in the bottom of each and glass beads and votives in the inserts at top. Then put a couple of my gold glitter grape stems beside them.

DH and I quite often have romantic meals in front of the fire (not too many flames showing in pic, looks better in real life!) but this time, it was fun to invite my parents and let them enjoy the warmth and glow as well as DH's tasty food! Wish I had taken a pic of it!

I always use these gold vinyl placemats (I cut them in half)along side the plates when we have the seafood butter dishes (or for fondues)as there is always drips and they protect the linens yet are easy to wipe off. The shell shaped side dish is for discarded seafood shells.

Thanks for looking!

DD

Comments (18)

• 15 years ago

DD,
    How wonderful that your DH cooked for you and your parents and that you got to be a guest at your own table for a change.

It's an elegant table, cozied up by being in front of the fireplace. It just doesn't get any better than that!

• 15 years ago

I agree with Bonnie.. how great is that, for you and your parents, to be treated to dinner, in your own home... by your DH!! Kudoos to DH >> I think he's a keeper for sure. YOur table and accessories look so warm and cozy by that fire. When my DH makes a fire, I'm usually too busy to take the time to enjoy it..but what a great idea to set a table there to enjoy both the fire and a great meal. Now that to me is taking time, to 'Smell The Roses' !! Glad you got to show us this lovely table setting. Thanks.
    jane

• 15 years ago

What a treat! The tablesetting was beautiful and the menu sounds wonderful. DH is a keeper. But, I guess you know that, Thanks for sharing.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Bonnie, Jane and Printer! DH does help out lots with the cooking though it is usually something BBQ'ed but he is good at it and thinks to make the side-dishes too. I do appreciate him and he appreciates the efforts I make in trying to make things "nice". The fireplace is a gas one so it is easy to have "instant" ambiance and coziness! It is true though that you have to make the time to sit and have a nice romantic meal...sometimes hard in these days when everyone is so busy.

DD

• 15 years ago

DD

I just watched you entire flicker slideshow. OMG, I loved it. All of your tables look great and how neat to have pics of them all together. Thanks!

• 15 years ago

Your table looks beautiful and love the tip about the vinyl placemat under the discard plate.

• 15 years ago

Wow! Very pretty, and that's a good tip about the placemats. - Gail

• 15 years ago

Very, very pretty! And how sweet of dh!
    Thanks for showing us!

• 15 years ago

Cass, thanks for taking the time to view "all" my tablescapes on Flickr. I wasn't sure if others could click on one of my pics and view my photostream or if it was just me being signed in that allowed me to do it. Nice to know that is how it works. Glad you enjoyed the "show".

Thanks also dd50, Gail and Kathleen!

• 15 years ago

DD, that is a very romantic setting! And how wonderful you have a DH who appreciates such a thing. You're a lucky lady, not to mention a very talented table-setter! As you know, you're quite the contributor to our Inspiration albums! And yes, I too have viewed your photos on Flickr.
    They are so wonderful to browse.

hugs, Karen

• 15 years ago

WOW! Wish my DH would cook more. Steaks or hot dogs on the grill, fried eggs, and bologna sandwiches are the extent of his cooking. He says he doesn't like to cook and since he doesn't have to, he doesn't! But, he is still a keeper.

Love all of your tables, especially the "Stuck-up" reindeer!
    Betty

• 15 years ago

Thanks Karen and Betty for your compliments. I do appreciate DH's help around the house...I shouldn't say it but he cleans and does laundry too...not to mention how he can fix most anything and is very handy. I did 'good' when I 'picked him out' way back in Grade 9! lol!

DD

• 15 years ago

Wow, DD, I just realized tonight that I could see all the other tables too. These are fantastic! I am in awe of them.

I, too, have a DH who cooks, does his laundry and cleans. He is a real keeper. I guess that is why we are about to celebrate our 36th anniversary.

At this time of year I always have a nice laugh remembering one of the women from our church, who was overheard at our wedding commenting that we wouldn't last a year! Everytime I see her, I am so tempted...

• 15 years ago

Thank you Printer, as you can see from the Flickr photostream, I am very 'into' doing all kinds of table settings and have tons of fun doing it. That is why I was so happy to find this forum!

We have something in common - DH and I were both 20 when we got married and many friends/family said we were too young and tried to talk us out of it. We will celebrate our 27th anniversary this year, still very much in love!

DD

• 15 years ago

DD,
    What a lovely table!! And by the fireplace too! Everytime I see one of your table settings by the fireplace, I am sooo tempted to re-arrange my living room. We will eat/have coffee in front of the fireplace but sitting in a bean bag, LOL. We have a big bean bag (!!!) I usually store in my sewing room but during the holidays and weekends, its brought down in front of the fireplace. Messes up the whole room but its THE most comfortable thing to sit on while watching TV or reading a book. Whenever my sister visits, she will lug it down to the fireplace - even when she was pregnant, it was her fav. seating ever!

And a DH that cleans and does laundry - Wow! Lucky!! :)

The gold vinyl placemat is a great idea and it looks so good too. I love the red chargers too. The candle holders in your centerpiece are so versatile - I love them with all your settings.

Mo

• 15 years ago

Mo, thanks! We do enjoy eating by the fireplace however we always move a small table we keep next to our front windows over to it. We usually have two loveseats and two wing-back chairs there which are pretty comfy but probably nowhere near as relaxing as sitting in a bean-bag chair! My DD used to have one of those and it was comfy and fun!

DD

• 15 years ago

Hi DD, I enjoyed looking at these pictures as I like cosy atmospheres and this is a great one! Congrats on the job your DH made on it!

However, there is a question that is burning my lips (it's a French expression; don't know if it can be said in English): how do you use butter with seafood?

We don't do it here except for special meals such as butter sauce, etc. that are famous in France, especially in Normandy.

I wish I could accompany lobster with butter or even with corn. it is an idea that captivated me for a long time but I don't know what to put into the butter and how it is prepared...

Thanks in advance :D
    Dominique.

• 15 years ago

Dominique, nice to hear from you again! Thanks for your comments. I am not sure what others or even restaurants put in the butter they have for seafood but DH puts lemon and garlic in his. It is melted in the microwave in a larger container and poured into the little white cups that sit over a burning tealight to keep it warm. It can be messy (vinyl placemats come in handy as above) and no doubt, not very good for you (!), but crab or lobster just isn't the same without it, at least to us!

DD

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions