Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marleycat25_gw

att: NXR owners

marleycat25
11 years ago

My NXR range is about 18mo old... Both halogen bulbs inside the oven just went out. Sounds suspicious to me..hope there is not something causing a power surge. Can not find any info on replacement bulbs.. Can't find bulbs that match at the local stores.. Duro corp can't even tell me what type of bulb to get. The pins are closer together than the 120volt bulbs that I find. The standard G8 base doesn't fit... Has anyone had to replace theirs? Where did you get them... Hate my dark oven.. Help

Comments (28)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Maybe you could post a picture of the lamp. Put it on a ruler so that folks get a sense of dimensions.

That or take the lamp to an electrical supply or lighting supply house.

• swensoca
    11 years ago

I googled 'nxr replacement bulb' and this link was the first result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacement bulb

• swensoca
    11 years ago

I googled 'nxr replacement bulb' and this link was the first result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacement bulb

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Just noticed that there are two threads going on this and I posted in the other one. I'll just repeat what I said there.

Curiously, my DRGB3001 oven it does not use pin-base bulbs like the one that swensoca found.

The bulbs in my DRGB oven are screw-base rather than pin-base. The print on the side of the bulb identifies it as a Phillips 330C 125v 25w Phillips Italy XK5. A quick google search turned up nothing except that it might be an E14 base, if that helps.

When you say you called Duro, I'm assuming that you called the customer support line at 1-877-639-7264. If swensoca's link does not pan out, I suggest calling NXR./Duro back and asking them to call the factory and get the replacement light bulb specs and sources.

You also might try calling Adco who has the warranty service contract. Maybe Austex and Dvorson's, too.

Please keep us posted.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Well we are all "Assuming", (except for me of course), that the bulbs are indeed burned out.

I don't know about you, but I'm 70 years old and I have NEVER seen two bulbs blow out at the exact same time, and at least reading the post, this "appears" to be just exactly what happened.

Did you inspect the filament on both bulbs to see if it is indeed broken?

If they don't appear to be broken, then more than likely whatever switch arrangement NXR uses to turn the light off/on has failed.

Course I could be wrong, but let's make sure the bulbs are bad first, Ya thinks??

Gary

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all. Yes both bulbs are indeed burn out. The filaments are shot. I think there is something up, they should not both have gone at the same time. I have called Duro, and ADCO...not much help.. They only sell the entire unit base and bulb for $57 ea...ouch! I am going to try an electric supply store. Just wish I could read the writing on the bulb. The pin set up is different from everything's I can find. Hard to order on line cause not sure of base config.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

That bulb looks identical to the one swensoca found.

But bulbs like this don't usually "blow out" in such a short time for no reason unless you leave your oven door open for hours at a time.
    You may have to trace down some sort of surge, either in the wall socket or maybe the stove itself.
    Maybe a bunch of condensation from boiling water collected on the back splash and ran down to the wall plug.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I wonder if it is a Xenon bulb, the pin spacing is a bit different from a Halogen and they last 5 times longer.

If you measure the distance between the 2 pins I can compare it to one of my Xenons.

A Xenon can be used anywhere a Halogen is, except the pin spacing "May" be different.

Gary

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Gary: The NXR brochures say the bulbs are halogen. The bulb available from Dvorson's (per swensoca's link) is also identified as "halogen."

Marelycat wrote: >>>"They only sell the entire unit base and bulb for $57 ea."I'm curious about that "unit base." Maybe that is a casing with a screw-base which the two-pin bulb plugs into. OTOH, maybe NXR has a replacement/upgrade kit to change from the two-pin connector to the kind of screw base bulb I found in my newer NXR stove. Either could explain why my more recent NXR stove seemed to have a different kind of bulb. Don't have time to check right now, but I'll see if I can have another look at mine this evening and see if the base is a casing..

Can you get Duro to e-mail you a picture (or a link to a catalog picture) of the unit base and bulb?

I'm also curious about the blow-out. IIRC these bulbs are rated at 2000 hours. That would require leaving the oven light on for four hours per day over the 18 months you have owned your stove. The NXR oven light does not come on automatically, so leaving your oven door open would not cause the light to stay on. You have to flick the manual switch to get the oven light on.

I'm also wondering about the electrical circuitry. Does the LED in the oven-light switch still come on? Also, the only other components in an NXR that might be vulnerable to surges would be the burner re-ignitor module and the oven temp control module. Both of them are working, right?

If not, you might want to remove the cover plate on the stove outlet and make sure the plug is okay.

I there anything else on that circuit that the stove is plugged into? Say, a microwave?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 14:49

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

This Osram website seems to have a lot of information.
    There may be a simple but unwelcome explanation why two bulbs would blow at once. If the bulbs in your oven are 12v like those shown in the link rather than 120v, there could be a stepdown transformer involved and if it is bad, it could instantly blow your two new bulbs.
    Take your time and get all the facts together before buying new bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osram

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

The wiring diagram on my DRGB does not show any transformers in the light circuits. (The diagram is on the back of the stove if you want to check yours). Also, the oven bulbs in mine specifically say that they are 125v.

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Explained my problem again to Duro ..they said they at sending me 2 new bulb assemblies.. We shall see... since I am waiting 18 months for them to replace the oven interior due to chipping enamel, I'll believe it when I see it.. The glass covers over the bulbs say ..120 volt 25 watt..just can't find with the correct pins.....it is a good thing I love this range, or I would be very unhappy with the service.. The thing is it is still a great range for the price..wouldn't trade for any other.. Got my fingers crossed that they send them

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

Here is a page from Amazon which might help.
    It would be useful if you could measure the center to center distance of the base pins of your bad bulbs in mm. Likely 6.35mm (4/16) or 8mm (5/16) .
    The Westinghouse bulb in the top right hand box is a GY6.35 and the Feit in the bottom box is a G8 xenon 20w. Click on them for additional info.

Here is a link that might be useful: bi pin capsule halogen lamps

• oceangirl67
    11 years ago

Let this thread be a warning to anyone considering "cheaping out" and purchasing this range.

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So Duro came through and sent the bulbs..they fit perfectly and my oven has light again..unfortunately there is no printing on the bulb, other than 120 v 25 watt, which I already knew.. Duro also is ordering another oven ceiling to address the chipped enamel ..so in answer to ocean girl, I love my oven..even with the issue of some missing enamel, I would rather have 4 high powered burners than a chicken nugget button and a bunch of useless electronics...we can't all afford the price tag on a high end professional range. I would buy this range again!

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

So, was it just two bulbs that they sent or was there some kind of assembly or base unit? And did it wind up costing $57 for the pair? (If so, that sounds like SubZero pricing. Ouch.)

Also, are they sending instructions for replacing the oven ceiling piece? Looking at my oven, it seems that there are just some screws to undo and it should pop right out. Seems pretty easy but it would be good to know if there is more to it than that.

I had not realized that the oven walls were assembled that way. I'll mention this is bmorepanic's thread.

Thanks for the update.

• xedos
    11 years ago

There's usually a reason cheaper versions of an item are cheaper.

And, it's not because the owners or CEOs of the high priced items are sunning themselves on their yachts off San Tropez or racing in the America's Cup.

• weissman
    11 years ago

>>>And, it's not because the owners or CEOs of the high priced items are sunning themselves on their yachts off San Tropez or racing in the America's Cup.

actually it often is :-(

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Yep!

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Oceangirl is obviously a bit delusional, without a single clue.

Nothing wrong with the NXR at all, every bit as good as any Wolf. In fact they use the exact same burners.

Yeah I hadn't thought about the oven panels just being easily replaceable, that is cool.

This post was edited by Nunyabiz1 on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 18:11

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Nunyabiz1, do your burners continue to click even after they are lit?

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They only sent the two bulbs, no assembly...but they did not charge me a thing... Also once the oven part comes in, ADCO will send out an authorized repairman to replace it. It has taken a long time to get resolved but they seem to have a plan now.. Just for the record, I have one burner that will click after I turn it off, but if I give the knob a pull it stops...they never click while on.. The burners are amazing,

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Jellytoast: NXR burners should not click once lit. The ignitors will click when you depress and turn the control knob to start. Let up on the knob and it springs back. The clicking stops if the flame lights. Ignitors also click if the flame goes out when the knob is in an "on" position. As with most pro-style gas stoves, the ignitors may click on their own if you've spilled water or goo on the ignitor. That is because goo or water can prevent the ignitor from getting hot enough to signal the reignitor module that the flame is burning. Easily fixed with a little compressed air or even just blowing off the visible ignitor post. Same as with Wolf, VIking, etc.

Marleycat: giving the knob a pull to stop clicking? Just reposition the bezel/rim. See the link below for a picture of the bezel, the screws and a description of how to adjust the ring's position. The post is by GW basic, is about 2/3 of the way down the thread, and his post is dated July 5, 2012.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to find GWbasic's pictures of bezel

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 1:29

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Jelly,
    every once in awhile one will click for maybe a few seconds, as JW stated this seems to be related to a bit of shmutz on the ignitor.

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW. .. Any appliance I have ever owner in my 60yrs plus has had issues at one time or another.. If you are persistent and intelligent you can usually get it resolved.. All in all this is a great range.. I still look at it every day and think " this thing is awesome".....BTW my daughter loved mine so much, when they remodeled their center city home, they put in a 36" NXR... now that's a georgous stove! thanks JW. I'm gonna adjust that bezel ring

• marleycat25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW. .. Any appliance I have ever owner in my 60yrs plus has had issues at one time or another.. If you are persistent and intelligent you can usually get it resolved.. All in all this is a great range.. I still look at it every day and think " this thing is awesome".....BTW my daughter loved mine so much, when they remodeled their center city home, they put in a 36" NXR... now that's a georgous stove! thanks JW. I'm gonna adjust that bezel ring

• halcyon27
    9 years ago

I'm owner of a DRGB3602 (4 burners and griddle) and the two halogen lamps on either side of the wall has shorted too on first use. It was an ex-display unit so I guess it must have been shorted out in between those times.

I did a search and this page turned up. Thanks for all the pointers. Narrowing it down, the replacement part ought to be a bi-pin led GY8.6 base (8.6mm spacing) rated at 120V rather than a G8 (120V) or GY4 base rated at 12V which is probably for use in recreational vehicles (RV) or boats.

Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible NXR Oven halogen light bulb replacement part

This post was edited by halcyon27 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 0:12

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

...the replacement part ought to be a bi-pin led GY8.6 baseI don't think it will be an LED. FWIW, I found replacement bulbs for my 30" NXR through the Dvorson's web site. The link is below. It has photos so you can compare to the ones you took out of your DRGB3602. See if you get matches and maybe find them cheaper elsewhere.

As for shorting out on first use, sounds like: (a) the problem would more likely be wiring or a failure of light sockets and (b) something for a warranty call. Personally, I'd make a warranty claim because fixing either the wires or the sockets will require removing a outside range panel(s) and pawing through the side insulation to get at the socket mounts and/or the wires. That's the kind of messy job that I would let somebody else do if I didn't have to pay for the work.

Here is a link that might be useful: replacement bulbs for NXR

This post was edited by JWVideo on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 17:08