Software
Houzz Logo Print
greenoaks_gw

Help anyone with honed limestone bathroom floors.

17 years ago

I finally after months found a floor that I love it is a seagrass honed limestone, however I think it will be far to slippery when wet. Does anyone have any experience with this. I had planned on a creamy wall tile that picked up the colours in the limestone but I am thinking that the only thing I can do if I want the seagrass limestone is to put it on the walls. What do I use on the floor do you think a light floor and darker walls would look funny. It is a 5 by 10 foot bathroom and I had planned on tiling to the ceiling with a frameless glass shower and pedestal sink. Any thoughts? The colour here is lighter than the tile I got as a sample.

Comments (10)

  • 17 years ago

    Bill my main concern is how slippery the floor will be, I can deal with the maintenance but I don't want a really treacherous floor.

  • 17 years ago

    That's the reason I just specified that this was a hotel I did. I don't think they'd want to be opening themselves up to that kind of liability.

    Every room had basically the very same shower and bathroom floors.

  • 17 years ago

    We've had honed limestone floors in our bathroom for 13 years. Yes, they can be slippery when wet, but so can most bathroom floors. You just have to exercise caution. Only time I ever had a problem was when chasing a wet dog who escaped from the shower mid-bath!

    We have a huge all cotton bath mat outside of our double shower. We step from the shower onto it, dry off thoroughly and then step onto the floor. Also, our floor is heated, so any water that happens to land on it doesn't stay there for long.
    If you're really concerned about this, honed limestone might not be the product for you. Or maybe you want to consider using a smaller rather than larger size on the floor -- the grout lines will provide additional traction (but can be a PIA to keep clean).

  • 17 years ago

    consider doing tumbled limestone tiles in 2x2 or 4x4 on the floor and honed larger tiles on the walls. the tumbled tiles have a ruff surface and will provide the added safety for the floor. I'm considering the same issue for a shower floor and think I'll use tumbled or 2x2s on the floor and honed on the walls.

  • 17 years ago

    I have the same tile- different vendor, different name, but the same stuff. It is no more slippery than the ceramic in my other bathroom. This is in my kids bathroom and they use a bath mat. It has been in for a month no problems so far, 3 showers a day (my kids are 9, 11 and 13 and very dirty). My tiles are 12X12 in a brick or off set or hopscotch pattern. It was sealed when they put it in. I plan on sealing yearly. I did try to stain the unsealed piece with all the regular stuff the kids use: blue toothpaste, conditioner, soap, etc. It made it darker in some place but hard to see because of the mottled nature of the tile. I am less worried then I would if it was a uniform color. i clean with a neutral Ph cleaner I found made by 409! Cheap and effective. My cleaners use mostly water and a little of this spray. I use it on the marble counter top too. Hope this helps!

  • 17 years ago

    I have about 1000sf of honed limestone floors and I love them (including in the bathroom). BUT make sure they are cleaned only with neutral or basic cleaners as they do etch easily. We have "patina" spots from a spilled beer and anything slightly acidic etches them. We clean them with dish soap which works well.

    My daughter loves to go on fossil hunts around the house go identify all of the critters represented in the stone.

    They are no more slippery than a smooth ceramic tile when wet, but that can be plenty slippery.

    Would do them again in a heartbeat.

  • 17 years ago

    BTW, my walls are white subway tile, my vanity is espresso with a calcutta marble top. Walls are BM gray wisp (a gray/green). I love the combination...

  • 9 years ago

    I have picked out limestone for bathroom floors and showers which is about to be installed. The contractor was worried they would by slippery but the tile shop said there is a product to paint on that makes them not slippery. I'll try it on the limestone before it gets installed. Hope it works.

  • 9 years ago

    Why would you pick a product knowing you needed to paint on a secondary product so it is not slippery?