Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snolady

Totes/shopping bags I made today

snolady
16 years ago

DD said the grocery stores where she lives are charging 10 cents per bag so they are encouraging you to bring your own bags. I made these for DD.

{{gwi:1474960}}

{{gwi:1474961}}

Comments (15)

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

I made a few grocery bags also, but both Wal-Mart and Food4Less sell their own brand of fabric bags for $ .99 - no way I can compete with those prices...

• posieh
    16 years ago

Those are really neat. I think in Europe everyone takes their totes to the store, seem like that's what I've been told.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Those bags are lovely Snolady, love the bright, happy fabrics.

When I go to the grocery store, I come out with at least eight to ten plastic bags of groceries--are you saying you would take that many "totes" with you? I don't get it. I can see how one would be fine for say going to the farmer's market or maybe even Walmart--but my grocery shopping is only one to two times a month, so quantities are pretty big. Luvs

• annabell40
    16 years ago

Snolady, these are very stylish and what makes them special is that you made them.

I have not tried this yet as I have limited sewing skills but, I saw on the web an idea to make bags with tank tops that don't fit anymore. Sew them at the bottom and make some type of closure on top. :)

• oddie
    16 years ago

Beautiful! much nicer to carry then those plastic bags, that seem to rip just before I make it to the door LOL!
    I am supprised that more of the stores dont charge for there bags!
    oddie

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

I've been making them too..

I cut a Walmart plastic bag open and used it for my pattern. Then the handles and bag are all one piece. No worries about them coming unattached.

Yours are really pretty.

patti

• snolady
    Original Author
    16 years ago

luvstocraft
    I guess if you only shop once a month or so, it would be a lot of bags. I usually take 4 along for my shopping and get it all in them. I shop more often though.

pattico
    I'd love to see a picture of your bags. That sounds interesting, all in one piece.

To everyone,
    Thanks for all the nice remarks.
    snolady

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Patti - I did the same thing of using a Wally World bag as a pattern... Actually I used Food4Less - very big...

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I used a tutorial I found at Craftster. You make a pattern from your favorite sized bag and it walks you thru it step-by-step. So easy! I keep one in my car at all times. And they make terrific gifts.

I want to get a set of pretty sheets (since I can never find any fabric on a huge sale that I like) and make about 10 bags that match. I just can't seem to find any pretty sheets that I really like and that don't look like sheets.

Here is a link that might be useful: A tutorial to make your own shopping bags...

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That was a great tutorial. I'm not much of a sewer, but I think even I could follow her directions. I love the pocket concept, reminds me of the Quillows--the quilt that folded into a pillow. Luvs

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

That is what I did...Only I made mine just one thickness..I don't like the double thickness...one layer is tons tougher than that plastic. Also I cut my handles a little thinner so they would "gather" in you hands easier. I think the double ones are too much fabric, especially if you are like me...I sometimes carry in 4 or 5 bags on one arm. Also with the plastic I usually stretch the handles just a little because I want to slip them up on my arm to carry more. So the bags I'm making will have just a little longer handles.

I'll get a picture of them and post it when I get some pretty ones done...I made some out of dark check that I had extra of...they aren't real pretty. But yesterday I bought some pretty spring colors with tiny tulips..

Not what I was looking at , but that bolt kind of jumped out and hit me on the head (literally) I figured it wanted to go home with me...LOL

patti

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

Luvs, you can save yourself the bother of making the pocket,there's a way to fold the bag in on itself that holds it closed and tidy.

Lay the bag out flat. Fold the handles down onto the main part of the bag. Then fold one side in, and then the other, so you now have one long strip. Take the bottom up to the top and slip it inside the opening made by the overlapping fabric. Smooth it out and voila! A tidy little package.

It took me 2 tries to get this, but once you figure it out, it's so simple.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I'm adding this to my "to do" list. Need to figure out what's wrong with my sewing machine, when I was trying to sew with it last week, it would stitch awhile then skip, and then stitch again. I had changed the bobbin and the needle, so need to play with it to see if one of those is causing my problem. I have lots of fabrics that I need to do something with, so this is an ideal project.

I love the idea of using the Walmart bags for a pattern, and I think the cloth bags are so pretty and useful for so many things. You gals are so creative.

Luvs

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Luvs... Make sure the needle is facing the right direction and is all the way up to the top - sometimes, if it isn't pushed all the way up, it will skip for me...

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Thanks Grandma Bonnie, I'll pull it back out today and check that. (Got so frustrated last week that I just put it away!) I am NOT a patient person. LOL

Luvs