Software
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

What Is Your Favorite Bread For Toast?

16 years ago

Odd question I know but I LOVE toast and so do my kids.

My everyday favorite is Wheat toast.

To treat myself every now and then I get white Itallian Style bread.

My absolute decadent treat is when I buy Sourdough to use for toast.

Comments (26)

  • 16 years ago

    English muffin....though I haven't had one in years.

  • 16 years ago

    Cinnamon Raisin is good, and for a real treat we buy a locally made Cinnamon Raisin that has a glaze on top. When it is toasting some of the glaze does drip down into the toaster, but we don't get it too much.

    For everyday yummy toast I use Jewish Egg Bread (Challah). Challah is my fave sandwich bread as well. Oh! And it make the BEST French Toast. Ever.

    Nicole

  • 16 years ago

    English muffin...we eat them all the time.

  • 16 years ago

    I make an oatmeal bread and slice it thick ;o) I got the recipe from the back of a King Arthur flour bag and have been making it for years. It's absolutely delicious.

  • 16 years ago

    I LOVE the bread at "Great Harvest Bakery".

    The white is my favorite bread ever for toast. I buy it whole and slice my own. DH loves the wheat and most of the rest of them, too.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Great bread

  • 16 years ago

    Onion rye but not from the supermarket, from a good jewish bakery :)

  • 16 years ago

    The "KaimiÂka" from Bruno's Bakery in Chicago. This type of bread is usually referred to as Lithuanian bread. Bruno's is located in Chicago but they do ship it out to retail outlets all over. You'll probably only find it in those stores that market themselves as 'health food stores' though.

    When you see it on the shelf in the clear plastic bag it looks like a brick. LOL. When you pick it up it feels like it weighs ten pounds. It's dense. It makes great toast. It's chock full of nutrition. Tastes great on its own, with a spread, (I like it toasted with peanut butter) or as part of a a sandwich. Once you have this bread you'll never want another. Other bread will taste like an old sponge by comparison.

    The don't have a website. This photo is not of their KaimiÂka but another bakery's KaimiÂka. Bruno's KaimiÂka is unique from all the rest.

    {{gwi:1491341}}

  • 16 years ago

    TOAST! Ha! You're talking to the woman who uses the password "ilovetoast" when she signs into my mortgage account.

    My absolute favorite toast is a split kaiser roll with a tiny bit of butter. Yum. I'm sad that it has no fiber and is not good for you. I also love rye, cinnamon raisin, sour dough and bakery Italian bread.

  • 16 years ago

    We don't have a lot of choice as far as grocery stores (and no local bakeries) so my current fave is from Walmart. They carry some good artisan breads in a variety of flavors including Tandoori Naan bread and one called a Como loaf. I love toast, too, and this Como loaf is fabulous...a little crusty, a little chewy, and it has a sourdough kind of flavor. Some of it is napping in my tummy right now. Yuum.

  • 16 years ago

    I adore all kinds of breads toasted (including bagels and English muffins etc.) -- but raisin bread with butter and honey -- and a big mug of hot tea ..... droooooooolllllll ........ LOL!

    Had a toasted bagel (well -- half of one!) with cream cheese this morning!

    Jan at Rosemary Cottage

  • 16 years ago

    Walmart has some kick butt raisin bread that's as heavy as a house and delicious. My office mate and I buy a loaf every week and eat it for a snack with a bit of butter and a cup of tea.

  • 16 years ago

    "You're talking to the woman who uses the password "ilovetoast" when she signs into my mortgage account."

    Maybe you shouldn't have posted that?

  • 16 years ago

    Where in the store do you find Walmart's raisin bread - the bakery or the bread aisle?

  • 16 years ago

    Dilly - I have to go through three levels to sign into my mortgage account. The phrase I posted isn't really a password, just a portion of one of the levels. For the sake of brevity, I just called it my password.

    Dee

  • 16 years ago

    LOL Dilly don't tell her that...i'm on every banking website in the US trying to get her balance using the password :oP (It's only dangerous if she tells us her bank and her sign in name...and what are we going to do? Pay it off early heh heh)

    We have a wonderful bakery a couple of blocks up from the new house. I can't say I have a favorite yet because we're exploring their bread menu. DH would love dilly's favorite bread (brick texture is his favorite) but I like sponges LOL

    Honestly though, when I read this question the first thing that popped into my mind was German Christmas Bread. It's egg based with fruit in it, somewhat dense, but still white/egg bread (the Jewish bread intrigues me). With butter right out of the toaster or maybe some of mom's home made jam...yummy....it's my holiday special treat :)

  • 16 years ago

    I love any toast, as long as it's buttered. My favorites are rye with the caraway seeds (Polish type available from many bakeries in CT), and Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon-Raisin (which, for some reason, does not fill me up, even @70-80 calories per slice).

  • 16 years ago

    The Walmart raisin bread is in the bakery department. They have a cinnamon bread and a raisin bread, but not a cinnamon raisin (go figure).

    The German Christmas bread sounds a bit like a pannetone. I make a wicked pannetone and then proceed to turn it into a pannetone trifle made with mascarpone cheese and cocoa....it's a killer.

  • 16 years ago

    I am fascinated by pannetone. I buy it every Christmas in those lovely red boxes. I wonder whether the stuff I buy boxed up tastes anything like the real thing.

  • 16 years ago

    Another vote for sour dough toast. I loved the toast the from sour dough bread that I used to make with starter. I stopped making it when the youngest left home for college. Still miss it & the kids still talk about how good that bread was.

  • 16 years ago

    There's pannetone and then there's pannetone LOL. We went to Boston at the end of November and stayed in the North End (swoon...Little Italy). One of the outings we took was a culinary walking tour (Michelle Topor) which included stopping at a salumeria, bakery, coffee purveyor, liquor store and produce market. At one of the stops we were introduced to an imported pannetone that cost a small fortune, but mama mia! Heaven! Although I admit my pannetone is excellent, it wasn't as good as this one. I think the difference is in the raisins. I use golden raisins because that's what is readily available. "Authentic" pannetone uses sultanas, which are raisins that are the product of the Sultana grape, which grows in Turkey. The package was small and cost around $23.00.

    (She who is on the hunt for sultanas...I will make a pannetone to rival the one in Boston)

  • 16 years ago

    We keep english muffins and wheat bread on hand, but about once a year I buy the good old fashioned Texas Toast bread, I think Wonder or Rainbow Bread makes it. The best way to fix it is to slather butter on both sides, and cook it in a non-stick pan on the stove like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

    But nothing beats a slice of homemade wheat bread toasted!

  • 16 years ago

    Dilly I had to look up that bakery - never heard of it. It's in Bridgeport which is a bit of a trek (alright a BIG trek) for me but it seems some Whole Foods carry their bread. I've never seen it at ours but then I don't buy a lot of bread and when I do it's usually a low carb sprouted bread (which BTW makes great toast). You've made me want to make a trip to the south side - just mapped it and it's 30 miles from me. Now who can I get to go with me????

  • 16 years ago

    Toasted English muffins with just a bit of butter or marg. Every few months DH orders pecan-raisin bread from Zingerman's ($12) and we toast that and spread it with butter and honey. Oh my goodness.

    German Christmas Bread - aka Stollen.

  • 16 years ago

    I love that Lithuanian rye. YUM!

    Love to toast all kinds of bread - sourdough, english muffin bread, cornbread, cinnamon brown sugar bread (Pepperidge Farm, I think). We don't own a toaster, but a toaster oven, so the trick is to butter the bread first, then toast. YUM!

    Good thing I have to leave for work right now, or I would see some toast in my immediate future!

  • 16 years ago

    Some super suggestions! Jan - I may try the raisin w/ honey and butter for my middle son. DS1 eats his taost totally plain - he hates butter. WHAAAAT?!

    I have grocery shopping to do (some at Wal-mart) and plan on looking for some of the afore mentioned breads.

    Nigel-Bigel: I agree! Challah is the best bread for French Toast!

  • 16 years ago

    There is a long french bread at Walmarts for a buck fifty and toasted in the oven w/pure butter on it is wonderful.

    Also, at Publics grocery store (upscale grocery stores in southeast) there is a bread called White Mountain bread that is wonderful toasted or just plain. Try a sandwich with that mountain bread, ya'll it is to die for.

    .....Jane