Software
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Crazy problem -- my dishwasher is STUCK in place

14 years ago

I will seek any help I can get, and this group is always surprising with your depth and breadth of knowledge -- so here goes! Maybe one of you can help!

Our kitchen was reno'd about 5 years ago and the DW we installed was actually the same one we had in the old kitchen, so the good news is that this DW is about 14 years old, not 5 years old. You'll see in a minute why this is good news.

The spring on the DW door sprung last week. DD opened the door, we all heard a loud POP, and boom, the door now flops open FAST whenever we open it. It's kind of dangerous. So, I called the appliance repairman and he came out a couple of days later. Normally, you know, we'd just pull out the DW and fix it. But. The DW will NOT roll out. It won't budge. It is situated in the island, with the sink and sink-base cabinet on the left, and a cabinet end panel on the left. There are no screws holding it in place anywhere along the front edges of the machine. For example, my neighbor's DW has a screw and some kind of bracket on either side of the front of the DW. Not here. Nothing. In fact, you can wiggle it a bit from side to side, but somewhere, seems like in the back of the machine, it is STUCK inside its space. The repairman tried for about an hour, could not move it. DH came home that night and he also tried everything he could think of, and it will not move. WTH???

I tried to leave a message for the guy whose company installed the kitchen -- just to say hey, was there something funky about the way you installed the DW? I suspect he may not know, because he was not on site all that much. Anyway, so far he hasn't responded.

At this point, we are thinking what we may have to do is have someone (who? the repairman? who do you call for this?) come in there and literally take the darn DW apart to get it out of there, and get a new DW. This is why I said it's "good news" that it's 14 years old and not relatively new.

Does anyone have other ideas?? I talked to the architect who designed the space because he is a friend, and he said the only thing he can think of is, if the DW was in place when they installed the counters (I can't remember), some of the glue may have dripped down. Who knows! The whole thing is just bizarre and annoying.

Comments (28)

  • 14 years ago

    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that was DH's first thought -- but yes, the floor goes all the way under the DW.

  • 14 years ago

    Have you (or the repairman) accessed the front leg thingys? They usually adjust up and down. your countertop might be stopping the DW from being removed.

    We were able to lower the legs enough to clear the countertop to slide ours out.

    good luck.

    ML

  • 14 years ago

    I normally lurk here but thought I would post as we had a similar issue just last week. It turns out in our case, the electrical and water connection pipes were stiff and old and we couldn't pull it out without disconnecting those pipes. I am sure you/appliance person have tried that already. The only other thing I can think of is to shoot some WD40 around the legs-maybe there is some gunk settled under the legs.

  • 14 years ago

    Could steam or water have escaped from the DW over the years and expanded the surrounding wood just enough to get the DW stuck? Just a thought. Good luck!

  • 14 years ago

    What a mess! I have to agree about the WD40. And be generous with it too. It solved a huge problem for me last summer.

  • 14 years ago

    in my experience, unless you have a portable dishwasher, it's gotta be mounted in place!! most dishwashers in most homes are 'builtin'....

    when we moved into this house(new), the dishwasher wasn't mounted and wobbled/shook when we tried to run it... had to call the builder to get an installer to finish the job! having had several houses and several dishwashers, i've never had one that you could just 'pull out'... but then again, we've never had a portable one....

    would probably be best to contact the installer to find out how they mounted it if you can't clearly see...

  • 14 years ago

    Sometimes the DW can be mounted to the countertop, even with granite, instead of the cabinet sides. Look for screws at the top, maybe?

  • 14 years ago

    Looked for screws all around and there are none. Like I said, there is some movement when you try to shake it back and forth within its space, but it seems to be stuck from the back somehow -- as if it were screwed in from the back, which doesn't seem possible. But maybe it's glue from the counter, which makes me want to just slap the installer. It's just weird. Still have not heard back from the contractor -- love these construction people who don't bother to return calls. Will try him again tomorrow.

  • 14 years ago

    OK, DH is wondering if there is any access to the back of the dishwasher, since it's in an island. He is thinking there could be an 'L' bracket screwed to the floor or back of cabinet. That might explain why you can wiggle it side to side but not pull it out. The dishwasher has to have something that prevents it from tipping when you open the door, IYKWIM.

  • 14 years ago

    You usually don't need to remove the dishwasher to replace door springs. These can be accessed by removing the access panel below the door (the fixed portion between the door and toekick panel that old dishwashers had) with the machine still in place. Some more recent dishwashers with full-height doors still have an access panel in the toekick area that can be removed. Go to searspartsdirect.com and enter your dishwasher's brand and model number (found on a plate inside the door somewhere) and you'll get several excellent exploded line drawings showing how the parts are accessed and put together, and where the screws and fasteners are.

  • 14 years ago

    I would look for some sort of anchor system in the back if you see nothing in the front or sides. Golddust's comment about the safety thing is true. One of our labs, while a pup, would stand on the dishwasher door when it was open trying to "help" me. He was small but heavy, so there must be some anchoring spot that you've just not discovered yet.

  • 14 years ago

    Work, do you mean like this?

  • 14 years ago

    Work, do you mean like this? This dog was 65 pounds of muscle. LOL

  • 14 years ago

    You might want to cross post this in the appliances forum.

  • 14 years ago

    I swear I only posted that picture once. Sorry for the spam.

  • 14 years ago

    Well, the (experienced) repairman seemed to think he had to pull out the DW so I didn't question him. He was able to remove the access panel at the bottom.

    I looked at the installation instructions for my specific DW online and it showed where mounting screws SHOULD go, but there are no screws in those places on my machine. I know it sounds crazy. Something is affixed or "stuck" somewhere near the back of the machine but how -- who knows! There are NO visible screws. Repair guy, DH, and I have all looked. We have been procrastinating but at some point (before someone gets injured by that door) we're going to have to do something!

  • 14 years ago

    I just had the spring on my dishwasher break, and I watched the repairman fix it.

    He had to pull the dishwasher out to get to and replace a pulley, one on each side of the dishwasher. The dishwasher had to be pulled out to do this.

    My KitchenAid dishwasher has screws on the bottom front, behind the removable bottom panel. Have you checked there?

    As for getting injured with the door with a broken spring. I was kneecapped once (and once was enough that I remembered to stand to the side when opening the dishwasher) and the door drew blood twice on my DH's legs (he took longer to get the message).

  • 14 years ago

    Thinking granite should be installed over plywood so can't see glue seeping through plywood.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have the same problem, but I can't wiggle it AT ALL. I've run a small crowbar all around the space between the dishwasher and the cabinets/countertop, nothing seems to be holding it in place. I've turned the front feet so that they are actually off the floor completely by a good half inch. (flooring was installed up to the unit, so lifting it up and over the flooring is job #2.) Water line disconnected, lots of play in drain line, wires disconnected, upper two screws attaching it to the countertop removed, no glue holding it to the countertop (I saw installation), no side screws (I saw the two side screw covers, no screws coming out). At this point I'm going back to the suggestion about the tile not going all the way back, but in my case I think there might be a hole in the floor and one of the back feet is on the edge or otherwise stuck. That's all I can come up with. I'm going to try to find my crowbar, but this is looking harder and harder, especially with the flooring lip I'm going to have to contend with. NO WIGGLE OF ANY KIND even though I can run a small flat crowbar all the way around and the front feet aren't even touching the floor. It won't tilt, jiggle, move backwards or frontwards, or anything. At least I was able to find the water line and shut it off, which somehow fed into the basement and the shutoff valve was behind some insulation in the basement ceiling. I started this project by turning off the water to the house, thinking I'd be going without water for maybe two hours at the most . . .

  • 6 years ago

    Sueb is still on this forum, so perhaps she can tell you what her solution was.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I finally got it moving. I loosened all four feet and shortened them as much as possible. That seemed to do the trick. Somehow, those feet had embedded themselves into the floor. I didn't know that the "back" feet are only halfway back, and quite reachable. For anyone who doesn't know, they can be loosened from the top. You don't have to try to twist from the bottom. Unfortunately, I'm still struggling to get it up and over the edge of the flooring. I don't think anyone can help with that.

  • 5 years ago

    I had the same problem, loosened the front feet but still couldn’t pull the dishwasher out. Turns out there there was a screw on either side anchoring the dishwasher in place. Opened the door, remove a plastic screw hole plug giving access to the screw. Unscrewed each, and presto!, the dishwasher slides out!

  • 5 years ago

    Like Nancy, our dishwasher (currently pulled 6inches out from worktop position but now stuck fast) had to be lifted up over a lip where floor tiles had been laid in font. Had to retract front legs fully and remove securing screw from each front side of machine - machine then was wiggled out so far but no further. Just such a tight fit. Am waiting for a repair person now (twice muscle power might just do it?) but meanwhile wondering about this ‘middle back leg adjustment’ - is that what the slotted screw in the centr of the bottom front panel does? If so, which way do I turn it to make leg go down? May just try first one way then the other...... Really wish people installing these things had to leave their name and address on the appliance....! Any suggestions/ success stories?

  • 5 years ago

    Well, I don't remember anything about a middle back leg, but we just kept wiggling and forcing and removing the feet . . . and then it was out. It took forever but somebody strong finally freed it.

  • 4 years ago

    HERE IS YOUR ANSWER ! I just finished helping my son with the same problem. He was going to simply replace an old dishwasher and install a new one. We unscrewed the safety brackets at the front top (the ones they screw into the granite), raised the front and back screw legs, disconnected the drain, water and power and thought we would just slide it out. We could wiggle it up and down and left to right, but could feel something was holding it to the wall in the back. No way to access the back of the dishwasher. It felt like it was glued to the wall. We ended up drilling several 1/2 inch holes from the inside of the dishwasher, in the back wall and butchering our way to create a 3”x4” hole. Using a small crowbar, we were able to, though the hole, unstuck the dishwasher from the wall. It appears that the back of the dishwasher had some sort of a 1/4” resin or something board, that over the years got soft ( maybe from hot water in the dishwasher) and adhered to the sheetrock wall. Took us about an hour.

  • 2 years ago

    I can't move my non-working dishwasher out either. The neighbor said he fixed it from shaking for previous owners by bolting it through the floor. He said if I wanted to move it I had to crawl under my house. I am older and not in any shape to enter a spider and snake filled crawl space to find a bolt. He never offered to help. He was just bragging about how he "fixed" it for his previous neighbor. Mice come up through that hole he made in droves and I can't fix it with a dishwasher sitting over it. I wish I could afford to move from here.

  • 2 years ago

    If you are a senior and/or low income, contact any senior services agency in your area. Oftentimes agencies have services to help homeowners with maintenance problems, who might otherwise not be able to afford to hire help.

    My Next Door website also seems to be a place where people find others willing to help either for free or low cost. You have to be very careful to screen anyone you may let into your home, by asking for referrals or recommendations on the site. Good luck, I hope someone will help you. Did you flat out ask the neighbor if he might do the work? Maybe he just needs to be asked.