My builder uses Houzz Pro to plan the timeline and give detailed estimates and daily updates with photos of progress, and provide invoices at pre-agreed key points in the build. This made the whole experience much more efficient and stress-free.
My cookie recipe calls for unsweetend coconut. Three stores in my area didn't have, so hubby gotten sweetend coconut. Can I use this? What if any difference would it make in the cookies. Help!!!!! Thanks.
I agree with Lori it probably won't make much of a difference. According to the site below they suggest soaking the sweetened coconut in 1/2 water & 1/2 milk in the refrigerator to remove the sugar.
Lori, I am just making coconut butter cookies, my recipe calls for 3/4 C sugar. If I have to reduce sugar what would be your or anyone else's suggestions in the reduction? Or would I not need to reduce the sugar amount? The recipe also says (toasted coconut) but I was thinking if I toast the coconut first and then bake the cookies, the coconut would just get darker. What are your thoughts on that? It's been awhile since I made these and can't remember if I toasted the coconut first or not. I would prefer to cut out that step since I have so much to do with other things.
Ginger, Thanks for the link you provided, I have it bookmarked. If it really matters that the coconut be unsweetend then I will do as your link suggested.
Thanks to both of you, anxiously awaiting your replies. Sapphires
I have bought unsweetened coconut at health food stores - don't think regular stores carry it, probably for good reason. Unsweetened coconut tastes terrible, in my opinion. It needs all the sugar, butter and flavorings of a recipe to make it palatable. After trying unsweetened, you will notice that 'regular' coconut is very, very sugary. ~ Suzie
My guess would be for a cookie or other sweet it probably won't make a lot of difference but in a savory dish using sweetened coconut rather than unsweetened might make the taste come out wrong.
Sapphires, can't you soak the coconut for a while or at least rinse it then dry it? Toasting it only takes a brief time, too.
Sapphires, I'd go ahead and follow the recipe as written using the sweetened coconut. The sweetened coconut will probably toast a little quicker, so keep an eye on it (the sugar will make it toast quicker - that may be why the recipe recommends unsweetened). I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know!
lorijean44
ginger_st_thomas
Related Professionals
Miami Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Edison Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Hackettstown Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Napa Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Lake Charles Landscape Contractors · Greenville Landscape Contractors · Gulfport Landscape Contractors · Orangeburg Landscape Contractors · Milwaukee Landscape Contractors · Rapid City Landscape Contractors · Toronto Landscape Contractors · Vidalia Architects & Building Designers · Morgan City Architects & Building Designers · Lebanon Architects & Building Designers · Yuba City Architects & Building DesignerssapphiresOriginal Author
notenoughroses
ginger_st_thomas
lorijean44