Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannytme

help please: ideas for family gathering

grannytme
14 years ago

I have been reading all the posts on what to serve and have ruined my (OLD) brain!!!

Our family has had a really bad year (sisters and brother).So I (being the one to Fix everything)have decided to have them all here for a lets move on get together. We have very limited space. There will be 16 and the meal will have to be eaten while holding plates on their laps.

Please give me some ideas. I have seen the appetizers etc.. we all like to eat. Meaning big appetites. Limited budget.

Looking forward to your ideas!!!

P.S. I will have Lots of cookies for dessert ,our tradition.

Comments (7)

• gellchom
    14 years ago

I'm sorry you've all had a bad year.

Sounds like you all need comfort food. What does your family like to eat? What did you eat at family gatherings in happier times? Do any family recipes come to mind? I would head in that direction.

I wish you all a much better year in 2010.

• grannytme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My mom was a very good cook. We would have ham, baked beans, potatoes, everyone would bring something. we were more in the plain and simple taste buds. we also had what mom called perfection salad,( lemon jello, celery, pineapple and cabbage).
    I think I would like things that you can make ahead.
    We lived on a farm and roast beef,mashed potatoes,gravy peas etc was comfort food! Heavy meals.
    Thank you so much for the good wishes for 2010!!!

• lindac
    14 years ago

To eat on your lap? meat loaf....don't need a knife...and serve pre buttered rolls or garlic bread and a simple salad.
    You can make a meat loaf fancy by making it with part ham or filling it with something or serving a "sauce" to top it with.
    Then a side of rice pilaf or brown rice a simple vegetable followed by coffee and cookies and you are good.
    Most can be made ahead, served buffet and eaten on your lap.
    Shout if you need a recipe for meatloaf.
    Linda c

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Meat loaf is a good idea...maybe individual ones. My son bakes them like mounds on cookie sheets so they take less time to bake and also because not all of us like ketchup on them.... and they look very festive. I'd serve mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans or corn, rolls and butter....and of course your cookies. Simple cheeses and crackers with grapes and olives are easy appetizers.

Some years really are awful, aren't they? May you have a happy, healthy, prosperous 2010.

Sherry

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Why meatloaf? Meatballs baked in the oven are so much easier to cook and eat. Mac'n'cheese is the ultimate comfort food; sprinkle on those toasted breadcrumbs for that final finishing touch. A trifle (you can make individual ones in plastic glasses), or black bottom cupcakes, finish off a great 'comfort food' dinner that may be just what the doctor ordered. Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays as you look forward to better times!

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

I just helped out with a bridal shower and we did spiral ham, a smoked turkey purchased from the grocery store already done, and quiches of every imaginable mixture of ingredients, big salad, pastries. salmon and cream cheese. Pitchers of fresh brewed tea, It was really nice and everyone loved it. Oh and I made a big pot of soup too.

• plantmasterm
    14 years ago

Chilli

Sponsored