Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna214

New Square Kitchen Table

donna214
15 years ago

I have been posting mostly on the kitchen forum for the past year, but now that my kitchen is done, I have a feeling I will be here for help decorating my family room and new dining room space. Anyway, I just wanted to share the new table and chairs that were delivered today for our dinette area. The table is 56" X 56". It is a stained and distressed pine farmhouse table. I am keeping 6 chairs around it for every day, but we have 2 extra chairs for company. Here are some pictures.

This light fixture will be hung over the table when it comes in.

Thanks for letting me share.

Donna

Comments (17)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Donna, it's such a pretty table and it looks great in your dining space there! Love the new light fixture, too!
    Lynn

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

Love it! And your new kitchen is FABULOUS! Congrats!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Very pretty.

What decorating questions do you have?

The space you show looks so nice, and the minimalistic look is pleasing. The only thing I can think of is maybe a rug under the table to keep down echos although I do realize that some people hate rugs under their kitchen tables if they have young families.

• awm03
    15 years ago

It all works together beautifully. That lovely lamp will be perfect with that wonderful table. Great colors, textures, & everything else!

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

dilly dally, no specific questions yet. I am still unpacking boxes and moving stuff back in to the kitchen, and once that is done, I will tackle the other rooms. We have gone back and forth over whether to put a rug under the table. We do have 3 kids so food would be constantly falling on the rug. I think we will try living with it like this without a rug and see how it goes. I do think a rug would add warmth and some interest to the room.

• parma42
    15 years ago

That's a fabulous table. I had an old one like that. My kids were raised with it and it never showed wear. You see so many of the round but not as much of the square.

I love your lighting fixture, too.

All in all, a very nice look with the white kitchen.

• angelcub
    15 years ago

That's a great looking table and fits in well with what I can see of your style. Love those cabinets on each side of the opening, too.

I'd skip the rug for now and see how much food you have to clean up on a daily basis. But I'm one who happens to like bare wood floors. It's interesting - we often hear wood floors add so much "warmth" to a room but then we set about quickly covering them up. ; )

Diana

• nicolelynn1228
    15 years ago

I LOVE your table and chairs. Do you mind sharing where you purchased it from? Your kitchen looks great.

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma, I'm hoping this one stands up to my 3 kids. That's one of the reasons we went with the distressed top. They are pretty hard on our stuff.

Diana, so true about wood floors. I know how much food will wind up on the floors, so I think we'll go rugless for a while.

Nicolelynn, we had the table made by a local furniture store in NJ. We purchased the chairs from them also and I am very happy with everything. It was quite reasonable considering other options we saw. I've attached their website link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: British Home Emporium

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Hi Donna-
    I love your table and lighting fixture. You have created a really inviting space. I am in NJ too and love British Home- would you mind sharing more details on the name/model of table and lights so I can check them out ? I think they would be perfect for my new kitchen.

Thanks so much!

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi crescent50. Thanks so much. Yes, isn't British Home the best? I love going in there and looking around. That is so much the decorating style I aspire to. Where in NJ are you. I live in Chatham. Anyway, here are the details. I worked with a designer there named Jihan. Very nice. The table is a custon built farm table. They will do any size you want. Mine is 56"x56"X30"H. It is made of pine and you can get cherry for an upcharge. It is lightly planed and lightly distressed with an eased edge, quater end corners and 3/12 traditional turned legs. It is done in a rustic tudor stain and sealed as opposed to waxed. I did ask for minimal knots. It has 26" clearance from the floor and a 3" apron.

The light fixture is from Hubbardton Forge. I got it through my electrician's supplier. I can get that info for you if you like, but it is also available online. It's called the Acharn Water Glass Foyer Pendant

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

There's something so inviting and cozy about your space. Usually I'm not fond of bare wood floors but in your case they look just right. Perhaps it's the fact that it's an eating space rather than a living space. The lighting fixture is beautiful and unusual. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen and dining spaces.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Very very comfy, homey looking setting. I love everything you've done. I'd probably ditch the rug idea with three kids although I have a Eureka cordless vac and clean up in less than a minute.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Good Morning Donna and thanks so much for the detailed information.
    We are neighbors- I live in Berkeley Heights.
    A friend of mine worked with Jihan when she built her home a few years ago. I am definitely going to go see her. Could I bother you for the info on the chairs?
    The distressing looks great- with little ones it seems easier to start with the dings and dents so you don't have to freak over every little mishap:)

By the way, have you ever checked out Lloyds Furniture near Somerville- awesome stuff there too!

Thanks so much for your help. I followed your paint thread in kitchens and the color you picked is very warm- perfect for your awesome space- Enjoy!

• donna214
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Crescent. I have never been to Lloyds but I have heard of it. I do need stools for the kitchen, but after that we need to put the brakes on spending for a while and catch our breaths. I really need to do my family room and dining room but those will move to the back burner for a while.

Sorry I forgot to give details on the chairs. I also got them at British Home. I'm looking at the receipt and it says 1144-V1 ladderback side chairs with rush seats. The finish is black, and they have this beautiful rub through that I'm not sure shows up in the pictures. They are their best selling chairs and they come in several different finishes. Happy shopping!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Your home is really beautiful. I love your furniture. What a beautiful home. You made a beautiful choice with the light fixture.

• karezz
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen and the table is great!
    I live in Morris County too! And British Home Emporium is a great store!