Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodajo

Need some input on my bathroom design

yodajo
13 years ago

We are in the process of redoing our half bathroom. So far, we have painted our wood trim white (BM White Dove)and replaced the vinyl floor with tile,. We also had this cabinet:

that I stained to look like this:

With this countertop:

So, my dilemma is that we were planning on putting beadboard wainscotting up painted in the White Dove and now I am afraid the contrast is going to be too much against the dark cabinet and not look right. I am always famous for redoing everything because I am unhappy with it and just want to make sure that this will look ok.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the whiteboard will look ok with the dark vanity?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (7)

• User
    13 years ago

I think it will look perfect. Both the black and white pick up tones in your counter.it will. Look classic and pretty . . . .great job!

• User
    13 years ago

I also think that it looks WONDERFUL. The vanity --wow how outstanding......it DOES look perfect.
    I suppose if you want to save yourself the trouble of redoing, could you get some bead board and just prop it up to the vanity? I think that beadboard will look great, but quite possibly you might think why bother. ,,,

• klf78
    13 years ago

What color did you stain your vanity? What brand? It looks great!

• yodajo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I think I am just having a little case of cold feet and needed a little push to go forward. We cut and propped the beadboard up against the vanity and counter and it looks nice!

klf78- The stain is by General Finishes in Java. I saw it on the kitchen forum last year or so(Celtic Moon did her kitchen cabs. It was very easy to do!

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtic Moon's gel stain tutorial

• maggiemeg
    13 years ago

You have just inspired me Maxsam!! your before is exactly the same as my ensuite bathroom vanity and I love love love your after......the online tutorial link you provided was great, how long did it take you to complete the project with the cabinet staining?
    Meg

• yodajo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Meg-
    I did three coats of the stain plus one coat of poly by GF in satin. It says to wait 6 hours between coats, so took a few days, but the actual staining was accomplished in 20 minute sessions.
    I applied my stain with a foam brush and removed it with an old t-shirt I cut up in pieces. Those two things worked perfectly. You're just applying the stain and wiping it level, not c0mpletely off (wiping with the grain of the wood).
    If you have a Woodcraft store near you, they sell General Finishes, otherwise the GF website has info on where they sell their product.
    Hope that helps! I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have too!

• User
    13 years ago

I think it will look very pretty. Love the re-stained cabinet! You did an awesome job. I might suggest you use anaglypta wallpaper in beadboard. Much easier to install and cut than paneled beadboard.