Software
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

What style is this table?

15 years ago

I really like Miss Mustard Seed's table:

{{!gwi}}

I looked around her blog and discovered she found it on Craig's list. It looked like this before she added her magic:

{{!gwi}}

If I were to look for a similar table, what style would I look for? I've never redone furniture before, so do you think this is something a rookie could tackle? She glazed the white part, but I think I would rather the shabby chic look with the paint sanded off in areas.

Laurie

Comments (28)

  • 15 years ago

    It's French with a rocaille detailing that she emphasized with the paint. It's very nice.

  • 15 years ago

    Why do I always like French things? Does that mean it probably originally came from France or can you find french style furniture made in America? I fell in love with Susanwrites table when she posted it on here and she said it originally came from France, so that's why I'm asking.

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    No, this has the same general shape without the detailing.

    Every major furniture company probably had a french provincial or french country line at one time. It is still available but not as common right now--look on eBay. This type of furniture shows up a lot. I know that Ethan Allen, Thomasville, Drexel etc all had lines like this, and Baker, Milling Road and Henredon probably still do.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Maison Table

  • 15 years ago

    Msrose, why not purchase a 'generic' Queen Anne table, paint it ivory(or white),and do a little stenciling to give it the detail you want? And no, you don't need to be a 'rookie', it's definitely something a beginner can do! ;o)

  • 15 years ago

    palimpsest - I love that table, but I think it's too long for my space. You've given me hope though that I can find a similar style.

    patty cakes - I'll see what I can find when I search for Queen Anne. Thanks!

    I realized that Miss Mustard Seed sold that table and redid another one. Would this one also be considered French?

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    Is it the style you like or more so the painted distressed look? painting and glazing furniture is easy. Look on youtube and see how its done.

  • 15 years ago

    msrose--I may be mistaken but I think the table you posted is in the style of Sheraton or Hepplewhite. Not certain...but I think they were English influenced by French designers? Something like that!

  • 15 years ago

    txswetie - That's a good question. I wouldn't have given either one of these tables a 2nd glance if I had seen them in the before state. It's the after with the distressed look that I like. Now that I've seen these pictures, I know that I may need to look for something similar and was wondering what style to search for. I actually wish I could find one already done, but so far I haven't seen anything like it around here.

    Thanks mjsee!

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    I love her new table and especially with the top left stained. I absolutely adore those chairs. I have looked for cane back dining chairs for at least a year. It is next to impossible in my area. I see many of them on blogs - especially those in the California area. Marion (miss mustardseed) is in PA. BTW, I bought one of her book page wreaths. She is so talented!

    tina

  • 15 years ago

    My first thought was "french provencial" and I thought of this table at World Market:

    {{!gwi}}
    ,br>
    http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4421315


    Says, "Capture the pastoral elegance of French Provencal living with our beautifully designed Avignon Dining Set. Our wide, welcoming Table, charming Side Chairs and versatile Bench work together to create a rustic French countryside look that's impeccably arranged and unbeatably priced. You won't find a set with thoughtful design details like thick, curvy legs, a weathered painted ivory finish and hefty construction like our Avignon anywhere else."

  • 15 years ago

    Laurie:
    If I were searching on Craigslist, I would just use the search term "cane". Here's a set I found on my craigslist with that search. Not round backs like your inspiration, but still would work.
    Dee

    Here is a link that might be useful: Dining set

  • 15 years ago

    lolauren - I may have to see if World Market has that in the store. So many of the new tables I see have some type of finish on the top that tooks like it would scratch easily.

    Deeinohio - I'm getting a light fixture when I click on your post.

    Here's a table that I just found on Craig's List. It's not oval like the ones above, but it looks small which is what I need. What do y'all think of this one and is this still a French style?

    {{!gwi}}

    {{!gwi}}

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    Sorry, Laurie. It's this one. The seller wants $210 for it.
    Dee
    {{!gwi}}

  • 15 years ago

    Laurie -- That last table could certainly have the look you want, if you painted it. It could "clean up" nicely.

    There is a different type of details on the leg, but do you like them? That is what should matter, rather than what the official title is. I would still call it french or traditional, but I am not an expert :)

    I think someone else mentioned that you can be a novice and still take on this project. This is very true..... it should be a relatively easy project for you.

  • 15 years ago

    Laurie,
    Are you in the Metroplex? There is a place in Hurst called Golightly's Gallery. Google it and you can see on their blog what they sell. I think the gals there do their own painting and refinishing. Maybe they could fix you up. It is one of my favorite places when I'm looking for something special. I am not connected to them in any way, just love their stuff!

    Anniecat

  • 15 years ago

    I don't know a lot about furniture styles, but based on my Mom's own D/R furniture (1970's), I believe the first table would be called French Provencial and the second (with the straight legs) would be Italian Provencial. Both popular styles of D/R furniture in the 70's. Keep checking craigslist, in my city there are so many nice D/R sets from the '70s selling for next to nothing. Good luck!

  • 15 years ago

    Dee - Wow, that style reminds alot of Miss Mustard Seed's 2nd table. I don't know if I'm actually interested in redoing chairs. That sounds harder to me than the table. Although, I might be tempted if I could find some of the curvier ones.

    lolauren - I do really like the style of the one I posted from Craig's List. I emailed them to ask the dimensions and what type of wood it is, so I'm waiting to hear back. The title of the post says they're asking $200, but the body of the post says $400 or best offer. The funny thing is it only comes with three chairs, which I'm not interested in.

    anniecat - It's funny that you mentioned Golightly's. I hadn't been in there in years, but I went last weekend. They actually had a table that I considered and it was really cheap, but when I got home and measured my space, I decided it was too long.

    riff3 - Thanks! I'm making a list of all the styles to use in my search.

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    You might also check furniture stores in your area for design your own options on tables and chairs. Here in the Chicago area we have Walter E Smithe stores, and they have this program, called Bon Appetit:

    design your own

    Canadel is another company that is carried by many furniture stores and allows you to choose your table and chair styles and finishes.

  • 15 years ago

    Any type of painted furniture is going to cost you more. If your on a budget find a used table, why buy a new one if your just going to paint it. Do a light sanding of it, you don't have to sand it all the way down just enough to give the paint something to hold on to. Prime it, paint it, then glaze it. You can get a burnt umber craft paint water it down. Brush it on then wipe off keep doing it till you get the glazing the way you want it. If you feel you got it to dark in places paint back over and do it again. It really is as easy as it sounds. So look for a table that has the lines your looking for and go for it.

  • 15 years ago

    Laurie, I'm going to be painting a few end tables white with dark stained tops in a few months. I just love the look of it and think it will go with any style. I also have a round kitchen table i will be painting white and glazing. The chairs that came with the table the backs are the same height and i don't like it so will be changing out the chairs. I also have a old twin bed and foot board i will be making a bench out of to use with the table.

  • 15 years ago

    txswetie - Will this be your first time painting furniture or have you done it before? Be sure and post pictures!

    This is a little off topic, but since we've been talking about painting, can someone tell me if I could get this look by watering down some flat interior paint?

    I found an unpainted wood box at Hobby Lobby and I was wondering if I could make it look like this.

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    I would start by sanding the edges of your new box so that they are rounded and not so new/straight looking. I would then beat it up (hit it with a hammer, hit objects on to it, etc.... it needs lots of nicks and character.)

    I am guessing your unpainted box is the color of a new 2 x 4? in that case, I would put a dark stain on the box first... (The parts that show through the paint on that box in the picture are dark, like aged/patina-ed wood would be. Thus, you need your base to be dark to start.)

    Google "white wash" painting.... that will give you an idea of what adding water to paint would do. I don't think that is white-washed (but I could be wrong.... and you might be able to get an effect you like from doing it)... Instead, I would try painting and then blotting some of the paint off and/or painting, letting it dry, then sanding off patches.

    If you make additional nicks that show the clean, new wood, just dab dark stain into those spots. You can also get a glaze to put an old/dirty looking finish on it. Similarly, you can use your stain and just rub some on over the paint and dab it to dirty it up.

    Fortunately, a box like this is a good way to learn what techniques you like.... Also, since you're making something look beat-up and old, you can make lots of mistakes while learning. No one will know :)

  • 15 years ago

    lolauren great point on sanding the edges i would not have though of that. I think it looks more dry brushed, dip your brush in paint and take a lot off on a rag, then layer your paint on. you will have more control over how much paint you want and where. The glazing is what is giving it the old look. Give it a try and you will be hooked. I have painted a few things but the tables i'm about to do is new to me. I have never had painted furniture so i'm not sure if its going to hold up well to scratches. Oil base paint will and its kinds self leveling thus will minimize brush strokes so i have read. I'm a very messy painter and i prefer latex paint. If i can find a non yellowing polly i will use that and it should holdup fine. I will post pictures when i'm done but it my be month before i even get started, here in west Texas when it gets below 70 we think we are freezing and don't move very fast lol.

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks so much for posting this table! This is very similiar to my table that I have wanted to do "something" with, AND wanting new chairs to go with. I think I will go in this direction. I had no idea it was a french country look. My sweet Dad bought my table at an auction for $1.00. None of us kids wanted it until he sanded it down. Then I wanted it and he gave it to me. I had a cabinet maker make two leaves for me so now it seats 8. My Dad is gone now so I have such a treasure. My dining space is small so the project may have to wait until we move again or reconfigure, but I will save this to my favorites.

  • 15 years ago

    $1.00? Now that's a deal. I never heard back about the one I saw on Craig's List, so I guess it sold.

    lolauren & txswetie - Thanks for the painting tips. I'm actually nervous about trying it, so I don't know how I thought I was going to paint a whole table :)

    Laurie

  • 15 years ago

    I love the painted tables you showed. :0) I thought of you when I saw a canned back set on MY local CL...it was free! But for free it needs to be painted...take a look... I wouldn't think twice about painting this set! :0) It would be perfect and turn out GORGEOUS!
    {{!gwi}}

    Hang in there....you'll find a deal on one!

  • 15 years ago

    Ms. M's first table is a rococo/French provincial style. Rocaille (shell motif) is typical.

    The second is more French Neoclassical -- straighter leg with classical "pillar" motif at top.

    These styles are not strictly one thing but reinterpreted by furniture manufacturers.

    Shouldn't be impossible to find at a thrift, resale, house sale --though that can depend on area.

    For box, first remove the finish on the box (if any) by stripping or sanding. Underpaint with color you want showing through first, then paint over and wipe off in areas while wet using rag or damp brush. Best to do a test first.

  • 15 years ago

    Laurie, the last one you posted (that's on Craig's List) is Chippendale with what I think is called a ball and claw foot. English, anyway. I think it's gorgeous.