Software
Houzz Logo Print
singerslew

laundry room decor input

15 years ago

I recently purchased a print and put up a window valance in my laundry room. I am at a loss as to where to go from here, especially with respect to paint. There's also a space above the print that might need a little something. Here's a photo of where the room now:

Any thoughts?

Comments (23)

  • 15 years ago

    I think the picture looks to low. Maybe raise it high and put some nice storage baskets underneath to hide any clutter we all get in laundry room. Paint color would look great pulling yellow from striped valance and photo..SW Ivoire or SW Blonde.

  • 15 years ago

    blondie, reading your post I realize I should have provided more detail. The valance fabric is waverly spotswood stripe porcelain and has no yellow in it:

    The light stripe in the fabric is a creamy beige.

    Also, my tile floor is a light goldey beige color. I love the SW Ivoire and Blonde but they don't go with my cabinetry for some reason - on the paint chip they look too drab.

    Thanks so much for your input. I will look into raising the artwork.

  • 15 years ago

    I love the picture you picked for your laundry room. I still think the yellow that is in the picture would be a good contrast to the valance. Or you could choose the denim blue in the valance for your paint color. Keep us posted!

  • 15 years ago

    I agree that you need to hang that print higher. I would center it vertically with the cabinet box.

    I don't know where to guide you with color, since it really depends on what color would make you happy. You have lots of choices.... beige/neutral, blue, yellow...

  • 15 years ago

    I was going to suggest BM Desert Tan which is very similar to SW Blonde. I think it would be perfect.

  • 15 years ago

    I agree about hanging the picture higher...it is too low.

    As for paint color, my first thought is to go with yellow...not a bright lemon yellow, but maybe something creamy. I am a big fan of BM's Windham Cream. My second thought is to go with a neutral or buff color that would match the neutral shade stripe in the valance.

    How lucky you are to have a window in your laundry room. I am currently decorating my laundry room but it is a small little area between the garage and the kitchen hallway..no windows.

  • 15 years ago

    dawnp

    I do have that paint chip. I'll have to take a look in the daylight tomorrow : )

  • 15 years ago

    I agree with everyone else who has recommended hanging the picture a little higher. The bottom of the picture should be higher than the bottom of the cabinet to the left. I also like the colors that have been suggested -- Windham Cream (I have it in my windowless laundry room) and Desert Tan. Both are very nice, soft yellows. Yellow and blue is always a good combination.

  • 15 years ago

    I agree with everyone else, what a great print, where did you get it.

  • 15 years ago

    gmp3 - I got the print from allposters and took it to Michaels to get it framed. It has a brown rustic frame and the non-glare museum glass. It cost more than ready made art but it was worth it to me. The print really makes the laundry room cheerful : )

    dawnp - I wish I'd known about this website before ordering my print! There were a limited amount of sizes at allposters, and I would have loved to get this as a gallery wrap. The allposters version is pretty flat.

    So after reading everyone's comments I had to ask myself why I hung the print so low to begin with. My laundry room is at the end of a long hallway, and since I keep the door open all day the print is the first thing I see when I turn into that hallway. I guess I wanted to see the whole print without cutting off the laundress' head? Here is what I mean:

    The yellowish hue on the walls in the photos above is due to the lighting. Also, I plan on putting another box valance out of the same fabric above hallway window.

    As far as wall colors go, I am leaning towards the yellows and beiges more so than the blues. I do like BM desert tan and BM windham cream sounds promising. I also thought about BM vellum and BM flowering herbs.

    Also, I have a copper watering can above the right cabinet and an empty square basket on the center corner cabinet. The left cabinet is empty and I don't really know how to finish accessorizing up there. Any suggestions?

  • 15 years ago

    I think the current paint color looks fine. If you want to change it thought, take a look at BM Manchester Tan. It's a very warm light gray and goes very well with blues. Light and warm at the same time.

  • 15 years ago

    Hi all. I'm not new to GW, but am to The Laundry Room (haha...if you could see mine right now, you'd think I'd never stepped foot in IT either!)
    Here is a really neat tool. It's Sherwin-Williams Color Visualizer. You can upload a photo of your room, mask off areas, then apply colors to your heart's desire to see how they look. I've played with sfrenchie's photo. I couldn't figure out how to put it in here from SW's site, but I liked it with the walls in SW Midday (a creamy yellow), and the cabinets in SW Commodore (a dark/bright blue). Have fun! I did ;)

    Here is a link that might be useful: SW Color Visualizer

  • 15 years ago

    You know, I really love it the way it is now. I agreed with everyone else about hanging it higher until I saw the view from the hallway. But I'd probably see what it looks like higher still. But I'm loving the valance, print and wall color as is. It just feels bright and fresh -- perfect for a laundry room. I wouldn't paint.

  • 15 years ago

    Looking at the print from the doorway, I still think you can raise it to have the bottom lined up with the bottom of the cabinet. Have someone hold it up for you and stand back in the hall and see how it looks.

    The Ivoire and Blonde will have more color in the room than they show on the paint chips. I love Flowering Herb, it will look good with the cabinet, but you don't have any other green. Not sure how it will look with the blue.

    Tuesday

  • 15 years ago

    Love what I saw from that view, would you be able to post other views as well. We're starting construction soon, nothing is planned for the laundry room yet so I'd love to see yours.

  • 15 years ago

    Thanks mskitchen!

    I do enjoy my laundry room. I love having cabinets for storage. The countertop is corian and is great for folding the wash. It also has an integrated sink, which is wonderful for handwashing or working on clothes stains. The room istelf is not overly big, but just large enough that I can iron in there. The window also gives great light!

    Hope the photos help:

    I have just enough room behind my door to hang my ironing board. When I need to iron the board fits right in front of the window.

    shelving to the left of the cabinetry:

    Light fixture:

  • 15 years ago

    I would try for a really deep yellow, maybe the color of the lettering in the bottom part of the poster. You need strong color, I think, to make the room feel warmer and happy! Always good for a laundry room.

    I think the pix is hung at a fine height. I think it would be fun to find an old (or repro) small washboard to hang above it.

    I would try to replace the basked the plant is in with a wooden crate or planter, to kind of pick up on the washtub in the artwork.

    The valance is okay, but seems kind of blah. I would think about adding a couple of rows of wide and narrow trim on the hem to add some color and fun; perhaps something in the yellow of the walls if you go that route, and a thinner ribbon (or two thin ones, one on each side of the yellow) to pull the red from the art.

    A very nice space - sure wish my laundry room could look so nice!

  • 15 years ago

    Just lovely, have to show DH - don't know if we'll be able to do anything right away in our laundry room since we're over budget on the kitchen and master bath right now and we have still to plan out the guest bathroom, powder room, etc. And our builder just put a clause in the contract stating that since his suppliers will only guarantee a price for 15 days, we could possibly be looking at a 15% INCREASE in materials regardless of the contract price. So....................Anyway, once again, thanks for the lovely "tour" of your laundry room, BTW, who is the manufacturer of the cabinetry?

  • 15 years ago

    Based on your name, I thought this would be a cute sign to hang on the door going into the room! (link below)

    Here is a link that might be useful: etsy sign

  • 15 years ago

    So my mother-in-law came to visit and agreed that the picture should be moved up a bit. My father-in-law moved it before I could blink. It does look better!

    les917, thanks for your kind words. I like your idea for the planter - I'll have to look into that. As far as the valance being blah - that's actually what I was going for : )

    mskitchen, how nerve -wracking it must be to feel like you can't nail your prices down. I pray your home comes together wonderfully. In answer to your question, the cabinets are made by Timberlake. The color is Scottsdale Maple Spice.

    kmcg85 - thanks for the link! That IS a beautiful sign. Are you suggesting I should hang it above the print? BTW, I picked that user name because I identify myself as both french and southern. My mother is french and I even lived in France for 3 yrs as a child. I was blessed to spend summer vacations visting my grandparents while growing up. But I also lived in Texas for 27 years, and so well the south has rubbed off on me : )

  • 15 years ago

    southernfrenchie, thanks for the information and your kind words!

  • 15 years ago

    I'd love to have your laundry room in my house ,,, it looks great. But maybe I'll just settle for your iron and board caddy. Do you recall where you picked that up? I'm looking for a wall mount and that would be perfect.

    As far as your room, I think it looks great. If I were painting it, I'd opt for a yellow (as others have recommended). And for a punch of color maybe a piece of blue enamelware.

  • 15 years ago

    jlt -

    Thanks for your input - I think the blue enamelware is a GREAT suggestion. I'll keep my eye out for the right piece.

    I can't recall where I picked the iron and board caddy. I've had that thing for well over 10 years (in 3 different houses). It might have been Linens and Things or Target, but I'm not 100% positive on that.