Software
Houzz Logo Print
lory_farrior

Black stove : How do I work around it?

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
I just moved into a rental apartment that over looks a modest castle. I have many antiques and old world items but I'm looking to add some modern elements such as Eames chairs, a white leather couch, and lots of colorful accents. The floors are wood and the ceiling is cathedral. Walls are vanilla. A big window frames the main house. Dilemma: There is a small black gas stove in the corner of the same wall as the picture window. Do I disguise it or embellish it? I already have a few small black elements to add to the room. Help!

Comments (13)

  • 13 years ago
    Is it a functional stove? I woudl treat it as another object in the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, it's functional and I love the constant flame this time of year. How about two tall Asian armchairs and an ottoman in front.?
  • 13 years ago
    Or two club chairs in off white with colorful pillows?
  • 13 years ago
    Either one sound wonderful. Great view. Must be an interesting region.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    while the exposed stove pipe is one of our least favorite things to see, the stove is keeping you warm. At least it isn't in the middle of your room. :=) Find an iron steamer (glazed color) to match your other accessories. Helps add a bit of old world, while incorporating the new furnishings and color. keep your best antiques away from it as the stoves tend to dry them. yes, lovely view you have there.
    Your ceiling line is gorgeous Lory!
  • 13 years ago
    http://www.fireplacemall.com/Kettles/kettles.html#Steamers just a few steamers. I am certain there are more available in colors and design features. a challenge, but could be helpful. they do need refilling depending on how often you use the stove. :=)
  • 13 years ago
    How about adjusting your spotlight (located on the ceiling) directly on to the stove. Install a softer white/yellow bulb, too. This way, you are making the stove an intentional `feature` of the nook as opposed to making it appear that you are "working around it". Best of luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Its a rental so I have to work with it. I'm not complaining...I love my new place:) My last home was filled with so much stuff. I'm trying to be very selective and keep it simple. I have lots of storage to I can change things out, something I do often.. One thing I'm missing is a garden. I have no outdoor space. Thinking about doing an indoor garden under the picture window. Something low maintenance but it has to feel like your outside. Black rocks, a water feature and orchids. Again, a little modern, Any suggestions? Where should I start?
    Yes, the region is beautiful. There are deer, vineyards , apple trees...all kinds of trees. At dusk the white heron rest in the orchard. It's quite peaceful.
    So how about some indoor garden ideas?
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm..."intentional feature" ...I'll have to think about that. I'm hoping the landlord will let me change out the two spotlights for 2 chandeliers I bought for nothing at a thrift store. Thanks for the idea. I may try it if I cant change out the spotlights.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I will look around. If you are in Europe, many folks have lemon trees indoors during winter months but they do push them out of doors in late Spring and keep out until late Fall. You could have an indoor herb garden. I think you could even grow peas indoors if you have a long enough growing season.

    go here. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/air-plants-go-easy-on-indoor-gardeners-stsetivw-vs~1613373

    scroll down and really take a look at the possibilities. don't rush the plant container thing, but make an idea book and rum the ideas around before making the purchase. :=) find out optimum growing conditions for the ones you like and see if you can provide this for them. Otherwise, it will be sad and frustrating to buy, plant, position and have them die off for lack of the proper environment.

    Look forward to seeing the room when done someday.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you for sending me the photograph! I have a hand carved Indian basin with handles, about 4 feet long. It's filled with pine cones at the moment but your photo inspired me to make it functional. I already have Talansia (sp?). Now I need to find an inexpensive base or a piece of furniture long enough to hold it. As far as seeing the room when it's done....eek! With the help of houzz, maybe:)
  • 13 years ago
    Make the stove a focus point. Add furniture, or something cozy looking around it! If it's form fits function, keep it!