Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Any rug experts here?

jojoco
11 years ago

I've been looking for an oriental rug for my living room for some time. Finally found one that I really liked on Craigslist. The guy who sold it to me does a lot of buying and selling of antiques. He thought it was machine made, but I am not sure. The stitching on the back doesn't look completely uniform, but it is sharp overall. The fringe also seems integral to the rug, not added later.
What I love about it most is the subtle koi fish design along the borders. That, and the price ($150) It is 9x12 in size.

Thanks for any help.

Jo

Comments (12)

• jojoco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Didn't know how to post more than one photo. Here is a close up of koi.

One more post to follow with back of rug.

Thanks.

Jo

• jojoco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last one, I promise. This is the back of the rug.

Jo

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I'm no rug expert, but for $150? Amazing deal! It's gorgeous!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Not an expert, but I would jump on that deal for $150. Beautiful rug! I would love to find a deal like that for my DR.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I would change my colors for it, lol. What a deal.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Before you all think I am such a savvy shopper, here is a picture of the other rug I bought from that guy. It is machine made and about 9.5 x 12.5. He was asking 350, sold it to me for 325. Yes, I paid more than twice as much for a lesser quality rug. But it is cushy, it matched well, and that room gets very cold here in upstate New York. No tag on that one either.
    Jo

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Jo, I think $325 is a bargain on the red rug too! It's beautiful!

I've bought 3 rugs from Craigslist sellers (just picked up the latest one this past Friday evening), and it's amazing what good deals one can find on rugs there if patient enough!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I agree with Sunny!

• Vertise
    11 years ago

$350 was great on the beautiful red rug too! What city CL is this?

• jojoco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Snookums, I found the rugs on CL Syracuse. We get a lot of great stuff, but a lot of junk too.

jo

• andee_gw
    11 years ago

The backs of handmade rugs can be quite sharp. Notice some of the wavy red lines on the back. Machine-made rugs will likely have much straighter lines.

I once asked my cousin, who was stationed in Saudi Arabia and had bought some beautiful rugs while there, if a hand-made rug I was buying here was worth the asking price. I loved the rug. He replied that buying a rug was an emotional experience and only I could know. He was right. That was 25 years ago, and I still have a twinge of pleasure every time I look at the rug.

Your koi rug is lovely.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

thanks, we seem to have nothing but ick here. !

Expensive ick at that!

This post was edited by snookums2 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 17:28