Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan1404

Do those mosquito killer things really work?

susan1404
15 years ago

I want them to work so badly as we will get eated alive at night once the pool is finished, but all I've heard is bad reviews. Has anyone had any luck with anything to keep the mosquitos away? Thanks!!!

Comments (23)

• thejimbar
    15 years ago

I'm using my 2 that I bought 2 years ago as a door stop and a clothes hanger right now.....so NO! Don't waste you money. Buy some YardGuard or build some bat houses....
    We are lucky, our county now sprays for them each year so it's not been an issue for us anymore.

• jmas65
    15 years ago

How about a screen enclosure?

• aggietexan
    15 years ago

What about the mosquito misting systems? Has anybody had any luck with those?

• barco
    15 years ago

They are really pushing the Mosquito vacuum now at Lowes.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

The misting systems are all the rage in our area, but they're kind of spendy to install.

My uncle has a company that works with a manufacturer of a portable mister. They gave it to us to do a "field trial", and report back to them the results. It looks like a regular blower, but it's attached to a backpack-type thing. Once every 2 weeks, you spray the yard. The insecticide kills any active pests, but also leaves a residual that continues to kill on contact.

We have a greenbelt lot that backs to a creek and a pond. Our mosquitos were so bad that we literally couldn't even open the door to let the dogs in without them latching on us somewhere. The blower/mister thing does work, but you have to repeat it every 2 weeks or so (or more if there's lots of rain.) Still, it's nice to be able to actually use our backyard in the breezy summer evenings.

I guess there's no perfect solution, though. If I had an unlimited budget, I'd go ahead and do the fenceline misting system.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I did a Google search, and found they're now offering the portable mister at Target. I didn't want to mention the name in my last post, as I was unsure how widespread the company was, and didn't want to look like I was doing cheesy message board advertising!

Here it is at Target:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito 86

• kitchenshock
    15 years ago

Reno, do you know anyone that has one of these? I have the Asian Tiger and I am looking at various options to deal with this very aggressive day/night mosquito. We have had so much rain that when you walk in the grass anytime during the day they'll be up to 10 tracking you. I have never seen it so bad and these things are the worst. This is the first year I have had to deal with the asian tigers. If something like this would work, I would have no problem applying it every week if that is what it takes.

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

Kitchen, we're the only ones in our area (that I know of) that has one. Again, the only reason is because my uncle's company works with the manufacturer, and they were looking for a field trial. They knew we had a really bad problem, so we were good candidates. I'd never heard of it before.

I will say, though, that it is *really* effective. (Though I'm unfamiliar with the Asian Tiger). We literally would sit down in the evenings, and within seconds our legs would be covered. They were so bad that they'd start burrowing into the dog's fur, as well. It really rendered our lovely back patio useless.

At first we just sprayed the yard behind the pool. That helped cut down the problem. But the instructions say to spray everywhere there's a problem, so my DH went out and sprayed our patio as well. That completely eliminated the problem for 2 solid weeks.

Then we sprayed again, and had our patio back for another few weeks. We got busy with a project house we were working on, and now they're back. But the good thing is that just one spray will get us back to where we were.

The company (from what I understand) is attempting to market this product to lawn care professionals. They suggest making it part of weekly yard care.

• zl700
    15 years ago

If you have a sprinkler system, you can add a system that injects a solution (like citronella, they call it critter control) via a venturi orifice. I have seen some pump with an injector pump also. You may need to reconfigure your valves and manifold though if the installer went the cheap route and ran a main with valves in the yard, in order to not spray everywhere. I buy the solution at an irrigation distributor.

When I installed my system I kept the zones around pool and house perimeter separate for that exact reason with all the piping coming back to one dist box.

The solution tank holds 5 gallons which is diluted with water for easier mix adjustment.

The liquid fertilizer systems are very similar and can be used for both

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprinkler solution injection

• kitchenshock
    15 years ago

reno, thanks for the response. What you described about your back yard is what mine is like right now. I have never seen it so bad and I think its becuase of this new breed of Mosquito. I think I'll try it and see. I'll report back here on its effeciveness.

thanks zl700. I have considered injector systems for fertilization. What has kept me away is that I have heard that you have to upgrade the valves or put the injector after the valves becuase of corrosion issues. I have 14 zones so it started to get very expensive.

• amateurpb
    15 years ago

I have had a mosquito magnet for three years and it has worked like a charm in southern maryland. I have a 1 acre lot and the neighbors have seen a reduction in activity at their houses. The proof is in the net - which fills up with mosquitos. I don't have asian tigers yet so I can't comment on how effective it would be against them. I would try the mosquito magnet before I sprayed chemicals about the pool area.

• gracedunderpressure
    15 years ago

amateurpb,
    I'd like to know more about how the mosquito magnet works.
    We do have asian tigers & they are definitely aggressive - unlike other breeds, these vampires don't mind being out in the sunlight.

I am a licensed pharmacist (not to say that makes me a genius who couldn't possibly be wrong, but only to explain that I do have some education & experience in this regard). I don't want to sound like I am lecturing - but I want to warn people because several of my children are already suffering from chemical sensitivity & the more you look into this, the more alarming it gets. People need to be aware that U.S. policy towards chemicals could be easily summed up as 'innocent until proven guilty' - that's how brain-cell killers like diazanon get on the market. We assume that these chemicals are tested inside & out and they are *not*.

I realize that even more than the nuisance factor, the disease risks from mosquitoes are both real & potentially serious. And my kids sometimes have reactions to mosquito bites that are disturbing (hyper-sensitized immune responses) Nevertheless, the idea of randomly spraying everything with insecticides still worries the heck out of me.

These chemicals are non-discriminatory - they kill all insects, good as well as bad. The honeybee population is already in serious decline verging on critical. And the pest bugs tend to bounce back faster than the pest-eaters so you end up creating imbalances & disease in your landscaping. What effect are they having on our body's interior landscape as it is often described?

These synthetic pyrethrin derivatives (such as permethrin w/petroleum distillates) are systemic toxins which have no long term studies that I have been able to find. The track record for petroleum by-products is definitely not good, however.

Additionally, there are so many other chemical exposures that we are all experiencing in our everyday environment that we are creating chemical cocktails inside of our bodies - and we have absolutely no idea what combinations are forming or what they are doing (though there are cases where they have been toxic even though none of the chemicals by themselves were at toxic levels - http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2005/113-6/forum.html *scroll down to "Neurology: Triple Threat Activates Neurons". (Not really surprising as pharmacy has been utilizing synergistic effects of drugs for ages)

The incidence of immune dysfunction, chemical sensitivity & endocrine disruption has been growing at an alarming rate for more than a decade and research has yet to clarify why, but when you look at how many of these chemicals are capable of detrimentally affecting the immune & endocrine systems and then multiply the # of chemicals by the # of exposures - well, if it looks like a duck & it quacks like a duck... do everything you can to minimize your chemical exposures!

• zl700
    15 years ago

There are non-toxic mosquito repellants acvailable to spray
    (Garlic based, citronella, and many others)

That's what I use

Mosquito magnets work but the attractive and a 20 lp tank of propane per weekend gets expensive

• gracedunderpressure
    15 years ago

"There are non-toxic mosquito repellants acvailable to spray"

Yes, it's not a perfect solution to this problem & we have wasted our money on a few "green" duds, but Cutter has a eucalyptus oil one that is just as effective as DEET - per Consumer Reports & our own personal usage!

• amateurpb
    15 years ago

Check out mosquitomagnet.com/how_it_works/

They recommend changing propane tanks every three weeks, somewhat expensive but very little mosquito activity at my house makes it worth the $16 refill charge.

The unit burns propane and releases carbon dioxide which attracts the female mosquitos and traps them in the unit. I also use a added attractant - but it it not recommended for the asian tigers. I don't know how effective the mosquito magnet is on asian tigers.

It only attracts biting insects though, butterflies and bees are safe.

• gracedunderpressure
    15 years ago

That looks excellent! And they have a special attractant available just for the Asian Tiger mosquitoes. We will definitely look into trying this one out - thanks so much for the info & site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lurex3 FAQs

• stjohnrocks
    15 years ago

I wouldn't waste my $$ on mosquito magnet. We had the most expensive model and when it worked it was great but the thing was always breaking and timing is key with this product. One week of down time sets you back a few weeks in the whole cycle. Not recommended!

• juzjon
    15 years ago

The deet they sell in the US a.k.a. is too diluted. You should Google "Autan Tropical Spray" because it contains 30% deet.
    I used it in St. Barts where dengue fever was warned and it really helped plus it doesn't smell like most repellents DIESEL fuel. I bought it from the UK, and it arrived within 10 days.

• stevericker
    14 years ago

Mosquito Misting Systems are the best - MistAway is by far the best in the industry. You can get one and do a self install from PestPoolandLawn.com They also sell refills wayyyyy cheap. They sell kits and riptide and sector. Email me if you want to know more about misting systems.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Good old fashioned bug zapper (it's on 24/7 mid spring to 1st hard frost) set away from yard lights combined with tiki torches every 15 feet around the pool/ deck area works here.

I also set a Citronella candle or Off torch on the tables.

Scott

• redemption
    14 years ago

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Rhino-SkeeterVac-Mosquito-Exterminator/dp/B000QX08BM It is still alittle early to claim victory but The thing is filled with mosquitoes every morning. I have only been using the gas tank and none of the glue traps or mosquito scent stuff that I am supposed to use with it.

I will try to do a better review in a week or two, after I use it with everything it comes with. By the way I live in florida and mosquitoes are killers here.

• Marcy
    2 years ago

Does anyone know if certain plants keep mosquitoes away? I'm wondering if landscape design could be effective. I live in South Florida. I am hesitant to use chemicals as we have small children.