Software
Houzz Logo Print
dstellenwerf

Equipotential bonding

17 years ago

I am at the rebar phase of an O/B gunite pool in Northern Cal. and would like to install a metal railing into the pool. How does one tie it into the rebar grid when it's location is TBD still and will not be set until after plaster most likely?


Also, I will install cantilevered concrete decking around 3 sides and am wondering if I need to tie the steel of that deck to the steel of the pool wall? Can this be accomplished with #8 copper wire at several locations, because I am not tying together the pool and deck rebar?

And does each piece of pool equipment need its own wire tying it to the pool steel?

Many thanks for any help with this. I'm trying to make sense of this requirement.

Comments (5)

  • 17 years ago

    Different municipalities have different interpretations of this code, and other requirements on top of what the NEC requires so I will answer this the best I can.

    "I am at the rebar phase of an O/B gunite pool in Northern Cal. and would like to install a metal railing into the pool. How does one tie it into the rebar grid when it's location is TBD still and will not be set until after plaster most likely?"

    You tie into the rebar grid with a split bolt type connector, or what many call an "acorn" connector.

    Technically the anchor in the pool floor will be in the bonding grid because the handrail will act as a conductor for the bond. You could always use a plastic anchor in the floor which has no bonding requirements because the only items that are metal, are the wedge and bolt which are smaller that the NEC requirement for items that need to be bonded. Permacast, and SR Smith both make anchors that are plastic.


    "Also, I will install cantilevered concrete decking around 3 sides and am wondering if I need to tie the steel of that deck to the steel of the pool wall? Can this be accomplished with #8 copper wire at several locations, because I am not tying together the pool and deck rebar?"

    Absolutely. Keep in mind some municipalities require a bonding mat to be installed in the deck within 5' of the pool.

    "And does each piece of pool equipment need its own wire tying it to the pool steel?"

    No a single wire coming from the pool is all that is required. that loop ties into all equipment.


    Again, I would advise you to talk to the inspectors in the area to discuss areas of emphasis, and other items that may pertain to your locale.

  • 17 years ago

    Saftron's wedges for their anchors are plastic too. They have a normal stainless bolt and a flat rectangular bolt, Both of which also fit in the smaller than NEC requirement category. They do, however, have the ability to be attached to a bond wire if the local inspector requires it anyway.

    If you can approximate within a three foot circle where you want to place the anchor socket to be bonded, use an 18"-20" length of bond wire between the acorn and the anchor socket.

    When it's time to shoot the gunite, put the anchors (loosen the wedges) on the rail and set the sockets. This will create an exact positioning. Try to set it in the middle of the rebar square. If you ever have to core drill it, you won't hit the rebar.

    Secure the rail from wobble. Leave a 1/2" of the anchor exposed to allow for the plaster finish. Tape the top of the anchor to the rail to prevent gunite and plaster from getting inside. Darn pain in the butt getting that stuff out when it's under water. Tape is easily removed.

    Why do you want a rail attached in the pool? Is there a ramp for a disabled person?

    In all likelihood, the equipment pad will be first in line to the bond, then to the pool. This is because of where the electrical is coming from, i.e. the same trench. Many inspectors want electrical, gas and water in separate trenches and at different depths.

    Scott

  • 17 years ago

    stell,
    It's more common to use a "Figure 4" hand rail so you won't have to put an anchor in the plaster and it won't interfere with the pool cleaner. If you are not sure where you are going to put the rail, then just use a longer piece of #8 wire. Make sure your clamps are approved for direct burial.

  • 16 years ago

    Many thanks for all of the information.

    racket - I will put a call in to the inspector tomorrow. And would #8 stranded insulated wire be adequate for tying the pool rebar to the equipment?

    scott - we have a friend who is a metal sculptor and want to have him make us a custom rail out of stainless. safety and aesthetics. I think I'll attach the bonding wire to the pool rebar and leave a few feet coiled and ready as you and golfgeek recommended. This is an indoor pool, and the wall at the top of the stairs has 2" of ICF foam that I can cut a channel in to conceal the wire. top of rail would attach to ICF concrete wall and bottom would attach in the pool wall.
    I'll have to study your post a little further re: the attaching of the rail.

  • 16 years ago

    Stell,
    Needs to be solid, bare wire.

0