0
teresa_nc7

RECIPE: Old Fashioned Prune Cake

teresa_nc7
October 13, 2005

This is a cake that we had often when I was growing up, but I hadn't made it for years. Sometimes you remember something as being soooo good, then you make it and it's just not as good as you remembered. Well....that's not the case with this recipe! It is better than I remembered!

Prune Cake

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup chopped nuts

2 cups flour

1 t. soda

1 t. cinnamon

1 t. nutmeg

1 t. allspice

1/2 t. salt

1 cup cooked prunes, pitted and chopped fine

2 t. vanilla

Blend sugar and oil; add eggs and beat well. Sift dry ingredients together; add alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Add nuts, prunes, and vanilla. Stir to distribute well through batter. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x13x2 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until cake tests done. While cake is baking, prepare sauce and pour it over the cake while it is hot. Leave cake in pan to cool completely.

Sauce

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 t. soda

2 t. vanilla

1/4 to 1/2 cup butter

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil and boil one minute. Pour immediately over cake still hot from the oven. Let cool completely in pan.

Notes: I didn't bother to sift; used only 1/2 t. allspice; used walnuts; chopped prunes and poured boiling water over them and let them plump, then drained well.

This is "smack yo' mouth" good!