Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Recommendation for sheets that FIT!

joyce_6333
12 years ago

I'm having a terrible time finding sheets that actually fit our mattress. We have a new Stearns and Foster mattress, about 17" thick, and every set of sheets I buy is way too big. I ordered some from the company store, and they were about 8" too wide, and 6" too long. Just picked up a set of $140 sheets from JCP, and they, too are way too big. Would really love some recommendations. I hate to sleep on sheets that aren't taut. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Are you buying the correct size? For example, if you have queen, are you buying queen for a 17" mattress? Some people buy bigger sheets such as a king when they have a queen but don't account for the mattress depth.

I too am looking for sheets for our new mattress that is 15" deep. I've seen some that are very specific. 13" - 15", 17"-18", etc.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a king mattress and buy king sheets. Most sheets on the market say "fit mattress up to 22" deep. The latest sheet set by Liz Claiborne says only that it fits a king mattress 78X80. Apparently not all king mattress are the same size. I'll keep looking for very specific sizes.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, lukkirish. I don't know if there is an outlet near us. I'll check it out. At this point, I'm willing to pay full price to get sheets that really fit.

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

I love QVC's Amadeus Northern Night 500 thread count sheets. Reasonably priced too. They have strong elastic all around the fitted sheet so I've had no problems. I use them on both a Queen and a King Mattress. The top sheets are oversized which I like. Any of Northern Nights sheets are great!

• heatherjstone_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I just ordered two sheet sets from The Company Store and have the same problem! I ordered the sizing appropriate to my mattresses: full and queen. Both sets were far too large. Even the pillowcases were enormous. I ordered standard for my pillows, which I got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago. I complained to Company Store and they said they are "supersizing" the sheets to fit thicker mattresses and the pillowcases to fit both standard and queen pillows. This was very frustrating and annoying. I will check out Pottery Barn as someone recommended above. I called Garnet Hill and found they have the same supersizing as Company Store.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I hate this supersizing everyone is doing! I am about to buy new sheets and was thinking about going with Cuddledown. I want a percale and would love single-ply, but probably won't be able to find that. I may call to see if their fitted sheets are larger or normal sized. Will let you know if they sound like they will work. Everyone is touting the fact that they fit so well because they have elastic all the way around, but I still find they are loose and I have very little strength in my hands, so it is difficult for me to push them way under the mattress. Aaarrgghh.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Lands' End works for me.

• peaches12345
    12 years ago

Wasn't it just a short time ago everyone was complaining that sheets were too small to fit the new thicker mattresses? LOL. Better too big than too small. Nothing is worse than when I couldn't get a fitted sheet over the corner of our thick mattress.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm telling you, those Pottery Barn sheets are the best!!! They remind me of the sheet sets we had back when I was a kid in the 60's. They are sized perfectly for the pillow top mattresses and feel sooooo good. Cool and crisp, the perfect weight, not thin and slinky like the newer cotton "satin" blends most stores carry now. I really don't like Satin sheets.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love the PB towels, lukkiirish, so maybe I should check out the sheets, too! I don't like the sateen either. I don't have a pillowtop, so they may be a little big, but certainly worth trying and it is US grown cotton, so I would be supporting our economy. Did you get the 400 TC organic percale?

• User
    12 years ago

You should, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I got ours at the PB Outlet, but they may offer sheets with the shorter pockets at the store. I don't know what the count is, but I know they aren't organic. Mine are just their run of the mill cotton but they are very soft and wash great, no shrinkage or fading from what I can tell.

My Mom who is in her 70's and very particular because her skin has gotten sensitive came to visit me last year. She liked them so much she wanted some. We ended up driving the hour it takes to get there to pick her up some. She said the same thing as I did, the quality was like the old days. What I like too is I bought some extra pillow cases in the same color and those have pockets in them to keep your pillow from slipping. They were less than 15.00 for a pack of 2. Do you have a PB Outlet by you?

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Joyce - buying sheets has become too complicated. I tried to buy sheets for the double bed in the guest room. We had the same problem - the sheets were definitely sized for a much fuller mattress.

I wish I could still buy my all time favorite sheets - Wamsutta Supercale 50%cotton and 50% poly. They were cool, crisp, came out of the dryer fairly unwrinkled and never wore out. I have some sets where the elastic finally gave out and I replaced it, the sheets themselves are still in great shape. Luckily when I realized that Wamsutta was discontinuing them I purchased 6 sets - 2 sets for each bed.

Thanks irish for the Pottery Barn suggestion. I'm in Moorestown, NJ just across the river from Philly. Maybe I can talk my DD into a drive this summer to Lancaster when she's in between jobs.

Then on my return I can browse the Amish farms for quilts!

• jayjay_teacher
    12 years ago

I, too, was having a hard time finding sheets that were not too big. I ordered from hardtofindsheets.com and they have worked better than any others I found.

• User
    12 years ago

"Then on my return I can browse the Amish farms for quilts!"

Ok, I'm jealous now! I would love the chance to do that with my daughter!

• HU-497459933
    3 years ago

I really didn't want a bed 77x77. I THOUGHT i was buying 77x80. which I guess is standard king. I want a fitted sheet that FITS and does not wrinkle in the dryer. I feel that store should have told me of the difference. Disappointed in Ashley. This just may have to go back.