Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresacooks

decorative tile

teresacooks
15 years ago

I picked out an off white beveled subway tile for my backsplash and was hoping to find a 6x6 or 9x9 (do they make that?) painted floral tile to put in the middle the area between stove and hood. . . this is proving more difficult than I thought. I found one that was o.k., but had to buy 3 other tiles I didn't want to get it, and then pay shipping of $20, for a grand total of $60 for one single tile. . . I didn't do it. any sources to recommend? I've googled, and yahooed. . .

thanks

Comments (10)

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

I used a bevelled subway tile and a tumbled marble tile in the middle that an artist primed with oil based primer and painted to match the subway. She then painted exactly what I wanted on it. Perhaps you could do some variation of this.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say that I DID pay $60 per tile, but mine are cast bronze at least and they weigh a ton! Are you looking for color and if so, any particular color, or are you looking for a muted design?

Yolande, that is one beautiful backsplash and the artist you hired is obviously very talented!!

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Thank you . We love it. Looks even better with knobs and finished drawers!

Judy

• desertsteph
    15 years ago

here's one - look under flowers and scenery. if you like hummingbirds they have a beautiful long skinny one... I'm thinking of ordering it for my sister. she loves hummingbirds. not sure what she'd do with it tho...

Here is a link that might be useful: flower tiles

• biochem101
    15 years ago

Well, I know these cost more than $60 but a mural over the stove would be so beautiful. It sounds like you just want one tile, but would 4 really be too many? I looked and looked at them, long before I redid my kitchen, thinking one day IÂd get one (a mural). Then it turned out my stove didnÂt have the space above it. What a disappointment. L

If you have the space there and donÂt get one, wonÂt you be disappointed later? Some small collections of maybe 4 tiles can be found that are only around $120 for the set? There was one website that had a fairly large number of flower arrangements shown. And usually the companies give a choice of getting the design on 4" or 6" tiles, depending on what you are using for the rest.

HereÂs a few more websites maybe you missed.

Alicia Tapp

Deco Art Tile

Solar Antique Tiles

Sansei Tiles

Tiles By Mimi

• biochem101
    15 years ago

Sorry! I put an extra / at the end of the first 2 url's. If you click on the first two links, just take the extra slash off the end and it works.

Or I'll try it again...

Alicia Tapp

Deco Art Tile

• teresacooks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    sorry for the delay in response, I am avoiding my kitchenless house by escaping with my kids to a timeshare on top of a mountain with no internet/cell phone reception. I think it's actually more stressfull. I LOVE your mural Yolande. It's really beautiful. I am at this point looking at art deco tiles. .. I have a a 1920's house and love art deco tiles and kind of stumbled upon it as a possibility. Still not sure whether to use one 6x6 or 3 or what, I have no objection to paying for art, my only objection about the $60 was that it was paying for 4 tiles and I only liked one, and frankly I wasn't in love with it. Do you think one 6x6 tile will get lost in the space, I did find a place that will do 9x9 for me, but it might slow up the process a bit and it's not as great as the 6x6 ones I found. Let me see if I can paste in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: art deco reproduction tile

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Yolande, I love your mural. I have tiles with flowerpots painted on each one that i love. They are from HD Expo. Your mural is really lovely, though. DO you have finished kitchen pictures? I will check FKB.

Teresa, are those Art Deco or arts and crafts? I don't think that is the same thing. Doesn't matter. They are neat. Good luck.

• ncamy
    15 years ago

Teresa: The tile you have linked to is made by Porteous tiles. You can see their entire collection on their website and perhaps find one that you like even better. They have many single 6 X 6 tiles to choose from. Be sure to look at the art nouveau section for the ones you are interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: porteous art nouveau tiles

• teresacooks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh my ncamy, they have so many more beautiful tiles I don't even know how to choose. A very cool thing on the site though is they show them set in sets of 3 sometimes, which might work quite well in my backsplash. Now that I look on their US distributor site I see some tables with 4 tiles that look beautiful. . . well, decisions.
    thanks for the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile tables

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations