Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Layers of wallpaper - add another layer, or strip?

18 years ago

How would you handle this scenario:

We are closing up on a large renovation in our home and are preparing for our new floors to be laid, including carpet in our Family Room (FR).

Our FR used to be used as a dining nook and a FR, and now we will use the whole thing as FR. The walls are one color on the old DR side and another color on the old FR side. We also have two doorways that were closed off. So, before we have our lovely new carpet laid, I I need to address the walls.

They are part plaster and lathe, part drywall (from previous owners) There are 2 layers of wallpaper on the walls. I have determined that the easiest way to deal with the walls is to hang paintable textured wallpaper, perhaps in a plaster pattern, and paint it.

Should I strip the two layers off first, or just go ahead and put another layer on? I am planning on this being my last layer of wallpaper for the rest of our time in this home, as if I change my mind again on decor, I'd like it to just mean another layer of paint.

I am thinking that the two layers of wallpaper that is there currently just might be holding the plaster together, so why create a big mess by pulling it off (along with hunks of plaster possibly.) Does this sound reasonable?

One concern I have is seams from the previous layers of wallpaper showing through this next layer, but, I am hoping the textured surface of the new wallpaper would hide this.

As I said, I would be using a texture that resembles plaster hoping to keep to our "farmhouse" style somewhat.

What do you all think?

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    18 years ago

    IMO it is always better to remove the paper and get back to the original wall surface, repair as needed and start fresh.

  • 18 years ago

    I agree with christophern - get rid of the old first and repair the walls properly and as needed.

  • 18 years ago

    Since you mention "ease" and limiting mess issues, you might as well know that peeling the paper is neither, so lower your expectations accordingly.

    Peel paper, remove glue (steam or chemical), wash wall, patch and sand wall as necessary, prime wall....new wallpaper.

    After all that, I'd consider painting.

  • 18 years ago

    Homebound - the problem with just painting is that it is part drywall, part horsehair plaster/lathe and also two door patches in the mix. DH would be doing all the repairing and he is not "into" trying to restore all the surfaces to match and be paintable.

    That is why I am considering the textured wallpaper. Chris and kec - what is the reasoning behind peeling off the old layers - what will it do for my final surface that makes it a must?

    Someone suggested just trying a couple strips over the current wallpaper and seeing how it looks before I proceed. I may just do that.

  • 18 years ago

    Homebound- Just re read your post, and I think I misunderstood you. When you said "after all that, consider painting" you didn't mean over the plaster walls, you did, indeed, mean, paint over the NEW textured wallpaper, correct?

    I am having a hard time deciding if this is a good idea or not.

  • 18 years ago

    I would always remove the old stuff and start fresh. I wouldn't assume that the walls are in bad shape either because wallpaper was all the style in the days of lath and plaster. I've removed all the paneling and several layers of wallpaper to find beautiful plaster walls. I had to patch nail holes, but it was so worth it. While doing it, I cursed all previous owners that choose to put wallpaper over wallpaper, seven layers deep. :]
    Diane

  • 18 years ago

    Ok - a small update. I went to our local paint/wallcovering store and she said while it is possible to put another layer on (after gluing down any lifted areas) that it would be best if I stripped and then re-papered. She then showed me a book with textured papers in it that were already colored, and she pointed out a gorgeous plaster look-alike that I loved, and it will eliminate the step of painting for me, which frees up more energy and time for me to strip the wallpaper.

    I don't know why it didn't dawn on me to find a textured paper that was already finished instead of the type that needs paint. DOH!

    But, anyways... I think that is the way I am leaning - strip the current layers, re-paper in a faux plaster wallcovering.

  • 18 years ago

    To clarify, if you are going through all the trouble to remove old paper and then prep, etc. then you might as well skip the wallpaper afterward and finish by priming/painting instead.

    But if you opt to apply wallpaper over the existing (and then painting it), then try sanding down the wallpaper seams first if they're prominent.

  • PRO
    18 years ago

    strip the current layers,

    That is the way to go.

    Here is a link that might be useful: stripper

  • 18 years ago

    I agree with homebound. Wallpaper won't look good unless the walls are smooth and free of old paper. Once you prepare properly, why not paint?

    The last dealings I had with wallpaper involved removal before selling a house, and that was ten years ago. Buyers don't want wallpaper! Even more, they don't want your taste in wallpaper.

  • 18 years ago

    Chisue - my reasoning for not painting is in my OP. The walls are part horsehair plaster, part drywall, and also includes two doorpatches and DH is not interested in the slightest in the work it would take to get them all to match. Using a wallcovering is the easiest solution for us.

  • 5 years ago

    I am dealing with the same sort of wall. Two layers of wallpaper with a layer of paint in between. The original paper is fifty years old. I have removed one wall (drywall) of wallpaper layers and have damaged the wall due to too much water on it trying to scrape it all off.. I'm DAYS into this. I am considering putting a third layer of wallpaper on the remainder and being done with it. I figure that removing the original layer of paper was too difficult and that's why they put up the second layer, so why am I slaving over it trying to remove it all? I say paper over it. Life is too short.

  • 5 years ago

    You do realise that you posted this on a 13 yr old post, dont you. I am sure the op has long ago, finished her walls.