Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rchovey_gw

'Sunken Treasure' box

rchovey
15 years ago

I made this "treasure box" this week,still needs final cleaning. It will go to South Carolina to be raffled at a sorority convention. The convention is being held at the beach, therefore has a "beachy" theme. The procedes will go to the community mission effort I work with to help women who are victims of domestic violence.

Front:

Side 1:

Back:

Side 2:

Comments (15)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OH HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Can't enlarge the pictures. W/LOVE to see it up close. Are the straps part of the mosaic, or were they already on the box. Looks like metal straps. What is in front of the fish on Side 2? Looks like a rock. I LOVE this box.

• rchovey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow...thank you so much for the compliments! I don't know what happened to the pictures...they enlarged when I first put them on...going to try something else, hope this works:

Oh darn...now they are much too big..sorry!

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

How absolutely gorgeous!!!! I love it!!! The winner will too!! Cathy

• gottatry
    15 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful!!!! Someone will be VERY lucky. I have had to look and go back and look again. Wonderfulious!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - IT'S GOLD GROUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy, this is sooooo elegant and the tess is placed just right - looks soooooo evenly spaced. Are those BBs? LOVE the BBs and beads. I couldn't see all the little thingies in the first pictures. The grout looks like metal strapping w/designs in the first pictures. Soooooooooooo gorgeous. Truly a beautiful mosaic.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is so beautiful. I'm sure it will raise a bunch of monet for a good cause.

• rchovey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your comments! I don't enjoy doing boxes.. I don't like the process and I'm never satisfied with the results... but to coin a phrase, "it is what it is".

Slow- the BB looking things are ball chain shower hooks that I found at one of those big "pottery" stores that sell everything, got 'em for $1/pkg, wish I'd bought 'em all.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

OH....Van Gogh....love that stuff! You've put such neat little sea creatures here and there, it's sooo lovely!
    One question, do you grout over your little sea creatures and clean later, or add them after grouting?

• rchovey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrellycanadian, I grout over everything, then clean later.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Great Job RCHOVEY!!! LOVE those fish and mermaid!!! Lovely!

• rchovey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made this "beach" base to sit the box on... made it out of a "grout patty" that was out by the shed:

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Grout Patty! LOL! Sounds like cow patty! It looks so realistic with the resin poured over it...like it's sitting on the beach, just washed up on shore! Is the mermaid and fish made outta glass?

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Beautiful. And the grout patty is the icing, er... Under the cake!
    kathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Very clever. You're so creative. To present it, w/you hang a few pearls outta the chest slightly opened? I LOVE this piece.

• rchovey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

calamity, yes the mermaid and seahorse are glass, found them at the craft store.

slow, yes, that's the plan, to have some "treasures" spilling over the edges.

Thank you all for your compliments!

Sponsored